'Hempshaw'

georgeT

Morning George,

'Sound' idea mate! I'm certainly going to stick to DC when and if I finally get something off the drawing board - mainly from the point of view of expense as I've already got a few DC items in stock! It also occurred to me that I can get away with code75 Peco track (with the mods that Ray 'Tender' kindly showed me!) if I adopt Mike (Thorburn's) method of using modelling clay instead of ballast for a large percentage of the trackwork area. Most of the memories and photos that I have of Hurlford show the track to be largely covered in that way. I also want to examine the possibility of adopting the Peco inspection pits for the ash pits near the coaling stage - they are also compatible with code75! I have still got several lengths of SMP code80 flexible track which I could use in the more visible parts (I hope that it is possible to join the two!)

Look forward to seeing you develop the track plan when your 'assistant' gets back from holiday! HaHaHa.

Kind regards,

Jock.

l have found some slightly bigger staples and fixed them on some stock and they seem to work much better will try them for a while before making them the standard coupling on  'Hempshaw'  also l now have a track plan to work on,  so will commence track building soon, also it will be DC as there will only ever be one loco in use at one time, (also it will keep costs down) will keep the DCC for a sound diesel project later......

George

Morning George

Glad to see you're making progress with the coupling issue.  :sungum:  I'm now looking forward to track going down and the development of the scenario. :sungum:

Are you already thinking about another layout with diesels? :O  You're going to make Andy slow by comparison. :jester:

Very early Morning George,

Wondered if you'd been following John (Killybegs) thread : 'Worseter'? In the last couple of pages he has posted a picture of a super method for joining a rake of coaches with corridor connections which will look really realistic at normal viewing distance!

Wondered if you've been able to give your old mate Bodge a 'heads up' on the recent humorous hi-jacking of his Bitton thread as his 'fli-flop' as he calls it is still with the menders? I'm sure that, with his great sense of humour, he'll see the funny side and Mick(Donington Road) has kindly extracted the useful 'railway' posts as a separate entity to save him time when he finally gets back on air!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Jock,  lt's not just the finance l have a problem with, if you want sound and lights and a dozen locos running round  it's great, but on 'Hempshaw' l will only be running one loco at any one time, so no need to spend anything from £18 to chip it up, plus l hate fitting chips in very small tank locos ? the body never goes back the way it should, and l always break something off hahaha

Had a day out yesterday at the NRM at York, needed some detail pictures of a Southern Q1, also saw one of the new class 68

George

post-7716-0-20515600-1415789871_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-94309400-1415789874_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-73778800-1415789878_thumb.jpg

Hello Bob,  Yes they were my favourite loco as well, l felt they looked the part and every one l saw was really filthy, great stuff,  back to 'Hempshaw' l have decided not to do complete scratch builds anymore, so l have tried a small LSWR signal box from ABM Railcraft, had some feedback from Ray (tender) who said the card was very  flimsy and he was spot on, so l have had to add a lot of support all round but it does look the part so far.....

George

post-7716-0-96891200-1415813066_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-33516900-1415813072_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-25828300-1415813076_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-24882200-1415813079_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-43863000-1415813082_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-41046600-1415813086_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-14193400-1415813090_thumb.jpg

Early good morning George,

Great to see the modelling has started to roll again. One obvious benefit with a ready to build model like the signal box is the speed with which it was completed. Good work as usual mate, look forward to further images.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock,  Hope you get into modelling something very soon and get your own thread going, l have been scratch building my buildings for as long as l can remember, and for others too, but as l am a lot older now time is too short for long drawn out projects, that why l have turned to card kits, l think with careful construction they can be made to look the part,

l think you have to make a few alterations in the building, the instructions say never to use PVA for construction, but as l have used the glue for years putting card / wood bits together l did this on the signal box and it has dried lovely and nice and strong too..

Regards George

Hello Peter,   Thanks, l used to model in card all the time, as its so much easier to cut and form, plasticard is OK but then you have to paint it, (not my best job) but the card is already done for you, after all if its good enough for Pendon its good enough for me, after all some of the buildings on Pendon are well over 40 years old..

Regards George

Had a day out yesterday at the NRM at York, needed some detail pictures of a Southern Q1, also saw one of the new class 68

George

Hi George.

The last time we were at the NRM the Q1 was over a pit and you could walk underneath and get a good view of the inside motion. Something you don't get to see very often. Also one of my favourite engines, unfortunately they never made it to Cornwall so you won't see it on Camel Quay.

Ray.

Hello Ray, l see what you mean about the cardboard kits, l have nearly finished the build, but wish l had painted all the edges before l put it together (still l will know next time) l had to make the stair case, need to put the back on when l have made some sort of interior, been fun tho..

l did get some great shots of the Q1, about 40 pictures in all, so plenty of work to get on with, a start has been made on 33023 the awful gap between loco / tender, so l have ripped all the wires and coupling off and will permanently couple the two together with a new closer draw bar..

George

post-7716-0-04629100-1415921378_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-28408800-1415921382_thumb.jpg

Morning George,

The corners on the brick walls on the old 'Superquick' kits used to really annoy me so when I built some years ago, I wrapped the corners with separately applied pieces of thin card to represent quoins in stone! Jason at 'Model Railway Scenery.com' appears to have developed a method of disguising the corners though I haven't yet tried one of his kits. Perhaps one of his textured brickwork sheets would work on the above model, used as an over-wrap with the join at a hidden point(say behind the steps or a drainpipe?) and they seem very reasonably priced. He seems very approachable as we've had some dialogue about his lovely young wife being a Cancer sufferer like me!

Like you, I dislike the gap on most RTR models and often wonder why they can't model cab doors and fall plates!

Great to see you back in the swing!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock,  lt seems a lot easier to work in card and use acrylic paints for touching up,  l have done the Q1 and soldered the wires so dont have to worry about the connections, l remember that Hornby released a Schools class 'Stowe' in the 70s, and it had a drawbar spring that kept the loco / tender touching and gave in on bends it was great cant understand why they stopped using it, so much better than a scale 6ft gap..

George

Hello Mate,  No l am not waiting for you to do a track plan, but l am waiting to get some copies of the track templates you got from C+L, then l can map my own track plan from them (hopefully) hahaha..you just get yourself ready for Sunday, l will even let you buy me lunch ??? hahaha, with all the knowledge and help you have received  from JasonT and Cav we should have you building your own track by the time l leave ??

Been getting on with the signal box, and have made some interior bits and added a signalman.

post-7716-0-68625100-1416063931_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-69533800-1416063934_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-30059400-1416063937_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-11079700-1416063941_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90869000-1416063944_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-48193500-1416063948_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-90124800-1416063951_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, excellent work on the Signal Box, as for track plans, I have just been reading John Flann's article in Railway Modeller and he has built a stand alone Hintock Quay, he has put some pics in the Hintock thread and there well worth a look for ideas. Looks like I will be building Port St Budoc in front of the Bitton Fiddle Yard, hahhaha.

Chat later to arrange for Sunday / tomorrow.

Hello Bob,  Thanks, enjoying different ways of making buildings, made a few mistakes with this build, like the edges are all white, should have painted them before putting them together, will know next time,  

PS have you started anything yet in 0 gauge ? 

George

Getting over the visit to your shed (hahahaha) you really have got yourself a lovely shed mate, well worth the money you have spent, nice and dry and warm and when the lights get turned on it will be nice a bright too, can't wait until trains are running...

George

Morning mate, if it were me, which of course its NOT , I would have the point for the Loco release on the loop nearer to the camera, this would make that siding slightly longer and away from the Station making more of the yard.

Just a thought.

Archived