Another TT layout!

TTDB

Hello everyone?

I'm Lewis a new member on here and just starting only layout after several years "family" break. I did have the idea in the early 90's of starting a modern image German based TT layout and I did build up a considerable collection of stock all from the then UK TT supplier who worked from his converted garage just outside Swindon basically all you could buy was BTTB and it's very basic track.

I've just returned from a period of time working in Germany and also with a pretty decent collection of modern image TT from several manufacturers with the idea of constructing an exhibition layout similar to rhineside but an electrified double mainline with a single track diesel line coming off at a junction into its own small fiddle yard.

I will post some photos of my more unusual pieces of rolling stock tomorrow.

Lewis

• Like 7

Ok here goes my first photo, pretty much all tillig except one coach which is actually made in Russia by the appropriately named TT Models, their range is available in a few German shops and direct from their Latvia based online shop. They tend to concentrate on Russian and Baltic States rolling stock but also offer several modern pieces for OBB, DBAG,CD,MAV etc and concentrate on pieces missed out by the likes of Tillig here we have an OBB 1st/baggage , I'm now waiting for the matching restaurant car.

post-24405-0-30285300-1414576221_thumb.jpg

post-24405-0-94372300-1414576227_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My last photo of today,,,,I'm not a fan of the modern BR101 I don't know why but they just don't appeal to me not sure but I think they look rather squat and wide ( are they too big to operate outside Germany?) so for my IC push pull set I will be using my BR120 by again a small manufacturer Beckmann, a very we'll detailed and weighty model. Beckmann will be offering the Swiss Re 4/4 this year,,,maybe the SBB Cargo will be on my shopping list :)

post-24405-0-76921500-1414576742_thumb.jpg

Edited by TTDB
  • Like 2

Having done Czech TT there is some very nice stuff available in that scale.

I must admit that I hadnt heard of Kres though. That DMU looks very nice.

Look forward ot seeing progress on the layout.

Hi, Kres make the 628 in green/white and DBAG red, also some other DMU single cars, flying Hamburger  and also the DRs attempt at a TEE style unit BR175 they als have HO and N on the web site http://www.kres.de/produkte.html

Looks nice. Thanks for posting these. I'd still like to build a British TT layout one day -- but have gone so far with 00 that it's hard to turn back!

We all see items we like that are not available in the scale you model, while living/working in Germany I wasn't too far from Poland and often took a trip there, i have a passion for there UK look alike EU07 locos, only to find since joining this group there are 2 manufacturers offering them for HO in 2014!!,,,hope a TT model will follow soon!

A knock on my door,,, I actually ordered this cab car before I left Germany this will be on the opposite end to the BR120 in a 6 coach train. Another coach in this fixed rake (IC 1st class) is by the Russian maker TT model I've included a photo of the details of these models, not badly priced at about £25 a coach,

post-24405-0-59718400-1414592793_thumb.jpg

post-24405-0-94640500-1414592820_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

the then UK TT supplier who worked from his converted garage just outside Swindon basically all you could buy was BTTB and it's very basic track.

3SMR in it's early days I suspect, I used him for bits when I modelled OOn3. He also did a range of very nice (and cheap) handbuilt copper clad points in standard gauge 12mm and narrow gauge 12mm and also stocked the Ratio/3mm Society 12mm gauge flexible track.

Yes that was the guy, he had a very good level of stock, I remember having to pay £1 extra for my rolling Stock to have metal wheel sets! Also remember sorting through boxes for decent quality levels as most items were so-so and that was export quality I was told the ideals for domestic and other Comecon countries was not as a high standard of finish.

• 4 years later...

Well after a 5yr gap a 250 mile house move to the Yorkshire Pennines and most importantly a new baby well who’s now 2 n half I’ve dusted off the boxes and about to start some construction on baseboards for my modern image TT layout a planned trip to Germany in spring or summer will bring the required track back in the car, somehow I question if flexitrack would survive such a postal distance.

A new loco added to the rosta this week (shows I’m willing to get this done) is a BR110 from Kuehn a new TT scale producer, this stunning little loco will run with a set of red halberstadters, I’ve also added one more IC coach with snack point to my IC BR120 set,

post-24405-0-15269800-1548239084_thumb.jpeg

post-24405-0-76992500-1548239195_thumb.jpeg

post-24405-0-92652700-1548239214.jpeg

Edited by TTDB
  • Like 6

Hi Lewis,

Great to see another TTer here.  I've got a couple of TT Model coaches I'm after, could you give me links to the online shops you've used to buy them?  I visited their stand at Modell Hobby Spiel in October and they didn't have the ones I wanted in stock.

I think the European TT gauge meet should take place again this year at Belper Model Railway Exhibition on March 30th.

While I don't want to take traffic away from RMWeb, I would like to mention that there is a small facebook group for those interested in Euro TT, it's called simply "TT Scale Model Railways".

Hi thanks for the info, I’ve seen some bits on the TIllig webpage , I found my snackpoint at modellbahn Voigt but I’ve also found some other older products in some Czech shops . TT is still as popular as ever there and I’m tempted to obtain one of the new MTB class 850 CD railcars even though my proposed layout will be southern Germany, it looks a nice model and I think it’s being released in two tone blue livery. The Belper meet sounds interesting as not that far either from where I am will look into that. post-24405-0-28793300-1548500226_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

A delivery off the postman today my set of 3 DBAG Halberstadt coaches not too sure of their pedigree don’t know if anyone can help? I get the idea they are either made by Tillig for Modist or Modist themselves decorate Tillig models, at the time of release Tillig didn’t offer these in DBAG regio red in TT only in HO scale , now they do offer them in several different schemes like Berlin- Hamburg or with a bicycle section , so if I want to add to these 3 they will be helpful. Theee I’m going to operate with my BR110 from Kuehn when I’ve converted the old style BTTB couplers on the loco to the modern Tillig type.post-24405-0-76048200-1548518939_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

The Modist toolings were exclusive to them, but made by Tillig.  After Modist closed down a few years back, the models joined the main Tillig range.  I've got some of those Halberstadt seconds in other liveries with Tillig branding, DR green and ivory and DB NachtZug.  I've also got a Modist branded BR 212 (DB V100.2).

• 2 weeks later...

Latest motive power to join the rosta , a nice Tillig DBAG BR114 to operate with a short 4 coach rake of red silver fishes ,,,,nice details on this reworked Trabbi, just need to replace the huge old BTTB style couplers, the layout will be DCC just a simple Roco MultiMaus , not sure as yet if this model has a DCC socket, my German is very limited and haven’t got all day to type into a  translation tool, part of the problem for modelling TT is very few models come with any English information.

327381E5-F4C0-4EDD-9CF5-92A2A14D01DA.jpeg

Edited by TTDB

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TTDB said:

Lnot sure as yet if this model has a DCC socket, my German is very limited and haven’t got all day to type into a  translation tool, part of the problem for modelling TT is very few models come with any English information.

If you’ve got a smartphone the google translate app has a camera function and you can translate blocks of text ‘live’ ;)

much faster than typing it all in to read the data, I have the Tillig HOm. 

Look forward to your plans. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kuehn are very reasonably priced as new , I’ve not seen many second hand models contikits has a little mostly old BTTB, some of the online retailers like Lippe and Elwira have the Aktionen department with odd bargains but  with the new release products I find get them when released as sell out fast and then hard to obtain I’m still looking  for some red halberstadt centre enterances with no luck, also this is an interesting site, thier coaches are reasonably priced. 

http://miniaturmodelle.net/

Edited by TTDB
More information
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, not been active much lately busy with work and family I’ve got a nice box of tilling flex track on the way so may start to lay some track in the coming weeks, however I’ve been taking some stock out the box and doing so measuring for average length of a set take this works out at 4ft 6” , one of my longest trains is my “Vindabona “ sounds like an establishment you might visit on a Friday night for a late night curry but it’s the title given to a train that ran between Vienna and Hamburg via Dresden and Prague Vindabona being a pre Roman name for Vienna and of would you believe Celtic origin!  On my layout the train is represented with OBB stock by Tillig and Russian maker TT modelle  hauled by a dual voltage Czech loco as pictured here by Kuehn.95184A23-FB85-4492-A619-97244864F751.jpeg.ba1953cc59455e59fa3af1de7825ec5e.jpeg

AE2333B4-93FA-4708-844A-B1599C08C0AB.jpeg

• Like 4