Another TT layout!

TTDB

Another train formation for the day is my DBAG BR155 and freight this particular loco by Tillig is devoid of any DBAG logos these have to sourced and I add them myself.

5964BA58-632E-40AB-97B7-E7436B862091.jpeg

AEBD9B9B-3528-4E1B-8ECD-15EB87968CC1.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've recently developed an interest in TT too, partly because of an interest in modelling a DR branch line, and I don't have enough room to do this in HO (German branchline termini take up more room, in general, than British ones do) and the Fleischmann 'N' gauge DR V100 series (110/2/4 later) is not a particularly good runner—not good enough to place accurately on the uncoupling ramp as is necessary in N.

I only have one loco so far—a Tillig V100, obtained for a very reasonable price from a U.K. eBay seller, and some redo coaches and a few wagons. I'm impressed with the performance of the loco, and with the standard NEM359 couplings—especially the ability to uncouple from above with a magnet.

I only have a short length of straight 'model' track so far, just as a test track, but am considering using the ballasted track in the future. Does anybody have any experience with this? In particular, how is power connected to the track, as there isn't a feeder track in that range? Also, the article on TT in the June CM says that the points are non-latching. Does that apply to the ballasted track too?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

standard NEM359 couplings—especially the ability to uncouple from above with a magnet.

This sounds interesting. Do you have a link to a page where this is explained? Seems like a very useful idea.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Also, the article on TT in the June CM says that the points are non-latching. Does that apply to the ballasted track too?

Sorry, I don't understand that question.

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Also, the article on TT in the June CM says that the points are non-latching. Does that apply to the ballasted track too?

Yes, the points with the moulded-on ballast are also non-latching.

Sorry the bit in the article about points wasn't clear.  I've only got the one pre-ballasted point, but unlike the "Modellgleis" it does have latching blades.  They are lightly sprung so you can run through "wrong way", rather like Roco Geoline in H0.  By self latching I mean that the blades are held in place in the chosen direction by a spring or other means without an extra accessory being necessary.

As to uncoupling NEM359 from above with a magnet, in Tillig start sets you get a little screwdriver with a magnet on the top of the handle.  Bring that in from above the couplings, and it lifts the hooks.  I also use some telescopic magnet pens, though they've got a stronger pull and can lift lighter wagons from the track if I accidentally make contact with the hooks.  It's not possible with corridor fitted coaching stock though, and a few wagons have brakeman's platforms that get in the way a little.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Taigatrommel said:

Sorry the bit in the article about points wasn't clear.  I've only got the one pre-ballasted point, but unlike the "Modellgleis" it does have latching blades.  They are lightly sprung so you can run through "wrong way", rather like Roco Geoline in H0.  By self latching I mean that the blades are held in place in the chosen direction by a spring or other means without an extra accessory being necessary.

As to uncoupling NEM359 from above with a magnet, in Tillig start sets you get a little screwdriver with a magnet on the top of the handle.  Bring that in from above the couplings, and it lifts the hooks.  I also use some telescopic magnet pens, though they've got a stronger pull and can lift lighter wagons from the track if I accidentally make contact with the hooks.  It's not possible with corridor fitted coaching stock though, and a few wagons have brakeman's platforms that get in the way a little.

Ah, it was your article. I had thought that the reference to a point "with hand drive" in their catalogue meant that there was a latching mechanism. Fleischmann Profi-Track in HO and Fleischmann Piccolo in N are also sprung that way—though you can't run through the live frog N gauge points in the trailing direction without getting a short circuit.

The "screwdriver" is also available separately.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Clarification