NIR Freight

kirley

Yup. NIR had a selection of bogie (former carriages) and 4 wheel container wagons. Mainly used between Larne and Belfast. Other freight on NIR was mostly cross border traffic from Dundalk to Belfast and Derry.

Thanks for all the information.  Found a Bachmann one but you can't buy the container separately unfortunately. They look about 10' long.

Looking at the bogie flat in the photograph would anyone have a guess as to the size of the original coach it came from, 57' of longer?

I think you can be pretty safe in assuming an ex LMS/NCC  57' or 60' under frame, it was very much waste not want not in UTA days, and these were used for various duties on NIR as well. I also saw another pic from the same source showing the same "train" and there was one smaller Type A and two longer Type B containers on board - another good use for yet another old Mainline LMS coach, and find something alternative to do with body and roof.

PS these pics are proof that 4 did carry the NIR logo!  Unfortunately I don't have a date for them.

Colm

Thanks for all the information.  Found a Bachmann one but you can't buy the container separately unfortunately. They look about 10' long.

Looking at the bogie flat in the photograph would anyone have a guess as to the size of the original coach it came from, 57' of longer?

Cambrian do a kit of an 'A' Type container:-

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/accswheels.html

Various B type containers, of the sort Bachmann do, did cross the water to Eire and Ulster. Later, Heysham saw Freightliner containers using the Belfast ferry.

NIR weren't the only railway to re-use old coach chassis as container carriers; BR had some based on Gresley underframes for its 'Speedfreight' services.

You've probably already seen this Kirley but just for the benifit of others here who haven't. It's another shot of the same train. The wagon does indeed look like a 57' carriage chassis, makes it easier to model then ;) I take it the small containers are called A type and the longer ones are called B type?

Not my pic, again it was taken by John McKegney.

post-19436-0-50633700-1414714094.jpg

There's also a pic of these containers in 'UTA in colour' but this time they are in a normal 4 wheeled 5 plank wagon at Belfast docks.

Initially I thought the bogie flat might be one of three 60ft flats, 610-612, introduced in 1974. However closer examination shows that the underframe trussing is shallower than the normal NCC underframe trussing whether it be 57ft or 60ft. This would suggest the underframe belonged to one of the ex Midland Railway 57ft coaches sent over after the Blitz.

The fact that No 4 is shunting would also suggest a date earlier than when 610-612 were introduced.

The attached picture shows 610. Note the much deeper trussing.

post-13499-0-26410000-1414767380_thumb.jpg

Archived