Class 40 conked out. Please help.

WD0-6-0

My Bachmann class 32-480DS D211 Mauretania with sound stopped working today. It was running fine, left unnateneded for two minutes (with no one else) and when returned to it would play the sounds but I won't move even though it will rev up and down and the brakes will squeal but it won't move. The sound can no longer be turned off. Any idea what's wrong? I don't know what or why but if anyone can suggest a fix for this without voiding the warranty, if not it's still in warranty so I'll send it to Bachmann for them to do it.

Turning the layout off and on again and reprogramming the loco have both been tried but unfortunately neither have worked.

Thanks

Rhys

Seconded. One of the weaknesses in construction in Bachmann twin bogie traction is the use of clip on connectors to attach wires to the main PCB. (It's a production economy expedient in my view, this way there is no need for a soldering iron with an assembly operative trained to use it on the chassis assembly line.) These are vulnerable to assembly errors, and subsequently coming loose.

Personally, once the model is a proven runner I solder the whole lot for long term reliability.

My Bachmann class 32-480DS D211 Mauretania with sound stopped working today. It was running fine, left unnateneded for two minutes (with no one else) and when returned to it would play the sounds but I won't move even though it will rev up and down and the brakes will squeal but it won't move. The sound can no longer be turned off. Any idea what's wrong? I don't know what or why but if anyone can suggest a fix for this without voiding the warranty, if not it's still in warranty so I'll send it to Bachmann for them to do it.

Turning the layout off and on again and reprogramming the loco have both been tried but unfortunately neither have worked.

Thanks

Rhys

You haven't said if the loco is back running following the earlier advice, but if it is a drive problem another simple check is to examine the gearing on the axles in case something very small has got in there and locked up the drive train. The bogie side frames and under-plate can be unclipped as one piece without taking the body off. You need to check both bogies as they are both geared. Otherwise remove the body and look at all the wiring to see if it looks secure. Just don't break or snap the warranty tab taped across the top. It's a nice loco, so good luck.   

Archived