Andy

the emergency services show is trade only, no public, I got in as we do recovery of rail equipment and work with the services as required.

The picture and link work ok still, just tried it, and went to the company that produced the body for the Renault, and the small picture on the right of their site, keeps changing, theres three for it.

Cheers

Ringo

Edited by ringo

Hi Ringo, maybe merf knows something about the bruff!

The link for the railtrack renualt doesnt work, can you re post it please?

The emergency services show sounds right up my street! was it trade or public?

Andy

The Bruff was one of the 32 production BRUFF rerailers I know of. 6 x B reg. and 26 C reg. followed by a couple of extra odd vehicles . No BR arrows but then in later life there were no 2 with the same lettering.

Merf.

Some great flickr finds chaps keep them coming :no:

This may be a BR TK tipper;-

http://www.flickr.co...aves-seacoaler/

and definite but distant ! Morris LC looks like a 30cwt with dropside body-

http://www.flickr.co...57631766681873/

The tipper has the BR arrow on the door, looks like a P registration c1975. Used mainly by the civil engineers, Bedford KCC10 model probably.

The Morris I have looked at often and you seem to confirm what I thought it was.

Merf.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm exploring info for a mid-70s parcel depot layout in London and was wondering about the likely road vehicles used. I've already purchased a couple of Scarabs in yellow...

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1751_1_106287841.html

...but I'm now thinking that these are too early (thanks to info contained within this thread). Would vehicles in the 'rail express parcels' livery be a better bet?

(eg, http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2312569)

Or maybe the National Carriers livery would be more or equally suitable? I don't mind doing my own research on the specific vehicles, it's the livery I could do with some assistance with. Thanks for any help you can give me chaps.

I'm exploring info for a mid-70s parcel depot layout in London and was wondering about the likely road vehicles used. I've already purchased a couple of Scarabs in yellow... http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1751_1_106287841.html ...but I'm now thinking that these are too early (thanks to info contained within this thread). Would vehicles in the 'rail express parcels' livery be a better bet? (eg, http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2312569) Or maybe the National Carriers livery would be more or equally suitable? I don't mind doing my own research on the specific vehicles, it's the livery I could do with some assistance with. Thanks for any help you can give me chaps.

Generalising.  NCL livery would be mainly on the goods vehicles. Parcels retained the British Rail branding usually.

At the begining of the 70s the yellow livery with the blue rectangle 'Rail Express Parcels' was used and by the late 70s the white/blue livery had become the norm. I am unsure when the change of livery began but may have been as early as 1974. So a mixture of liveries would be  acceptable.

The most common vans were the Bedford TJs from about 1969-75 for 4ton loads with Commer Walkthrus for 2tons. From about 1975 the Commers were bought in a choice of sizes until the end of parcel delivery (c1981)

Scarabs had long gone from the streets in the 70s. Most mechanical horses were the Ford D300 models.

Merf.

• Like 2

A few recent items from the workbench.

The Corgi Scammell Townsman. Not a bad model, just needs a few finishing touches. This has had a repaint to tone down the bright yellow, transfers for the symbol and fleet numbers (home made) and numberplates. It represents a 1964 LMR vehicle in new condition.

post-1625-0-22454300-1357137764.jpg

The Corgi trailer comes as a dropside, fitted with a hard top. Not very realistic, but a close look at the hard top reveals an accurate model of the LMR type standard 3 ton trailer van. So plasticard to extend the bodywork downward, a new floor and glue the Corgi running gear to it. New tailgate below the roller shutter door and the side protection strips. Repainted as a new trailer to match the Townsman.

post-1625-0-54535200-1357137779.jpg

A recent introduction in Frank Waller (RTI) range of kits was this Bedford PC van. Introduced pre-war and went back into production till 1952 when the Bedford CA replaced it.  The ER and LMR had some along with some 7 seat personnel carriers, so one of these was created by cutting windows in the sides.

This one  LMR, 640 S M was transfered to the E R and back to the LMR.

post-1625-0-27673700-1357137806.jpg

One of many cars owned by the railway was this Wolseley 4/44 of the LMR, later transfered to the ER.

From an Oxford MG Magnette, repainted in the most common livery of the period.

post-1625-0-58796100-1357137827.jpg

Merf.

• Like 1

There's a pic in one of my books, I'll need to dig it out to check which one, but it shows Lowestoft Station in 1974 with a Commer in the later blue/ white scheme parked next to a Karrier with trailer in yellow with the blue panel.

The Karriers were still delivering to our school in my last year at junior school which would have been 1975/ 76. The Bedfords had difficulty turning in the car-park outside our classroom but the Karriers could swing round in one.

• Like 1

There's a pic in one of my books, I'll need to dig it out to check which one, but it shows Lowestoft Station in 1974 with a Commer in the later blue/ white scheme parked next to a Karrier with trailer in yellow with the blue panel.

The Karriers were still delivering to our school in my last year at junior school which would have been 1975/ 76. The Bedfords had difficulty turning in the car-park outside our classroom but the Karriers could swing round in one.

Sounds like maybe 1974 was about the time for the blue/white livery introduction, unless some body has an earlier photo. I would like to see the photo at Lowestoft please. :yes:

The Karrier sounds like a case of hanging on to 'old faithful' being more use than the modern stuff.

Cheers Merf.

I found this on the web,

http://www.motorstown.com/images/renault-commando-07.jpg

The reg is similar to my D336 PHR crewbus, its yellow, and could be a railway (ex) vehicle?

Any records merf of this one?

Andy

Yes, on my list as a crew bus at Abercynon.

Cheers Merf.

ps I had come across it and had the same feeling.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Yes, on my list as a crew bus at Abercynon.

Cheers Merf.

ps I had come across it and had the same feeling.

Thank you I thought you might know!

It really is time for a book on the subject!

Might be a limited market though!

Andy

Gents,

not quite BR, but found this on the Bay of E.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Leyland-Terrier-/281044216703?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33%26meid%3D4646861523163414071%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1031%26rk%3D3%26

A bit scruffy but, £1500 ......when was the last time you saw one of these?

Cheers

R

Gents,

not quite BR, but found this on the Bay of E.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Leyland-Terrier-/281044216703?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33%26meid%3D4646861523163414071%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1031%26rk%3D3%26

A bit scruffy but, £1500 ......when was the last time you saw one of these?

Cheers

R

These are getting rare, always wanted a terrier, maybe you should buy it, paint it yellow, and find a curved roof crewbus body? maybe I should, but I am running out of space...

• Like 1

post-12679-0-35526000-1357497335_thumb.jpg

Some pictures of the pair of crewbuses together, just need a terrier  and a commando now, oh and a lottery win to pay for it all - merf - do you have any pics of either of these two?

post-12679-0-16116100-1357497482_thumb.jpg

new side underslung lockers made and powder coated, at least they won`t fall off like the old rusty ones nearly did! New mudguards and stays as well

post-12679-0-78218400-1357497619_thumb.jpg

This shows the tail lift platform painted and new board fitted, complete with logos. All I need now is a small sticker for the tail lift board " Gateshead WRD - Quality approved"  - that might be a bit tricky to find!

Next jobs are the rear roller shutter, new rear tyres ( gulp at £840!) and refurb rear wheels!

Andy

Edited by andye

attachicon.gifDSC00586.JPG

Some pictures of the pair of crewbuses together, just need a terrier  and a commando now, oh and a lottery win to pay for it all - merf - do you have any pics of either of these two?

attachicon.gifDSC00614.JPG

new side underslung lockers made and powder coated, at least they won`t fall off like the old rusty ones nearly did! New mudguards and stays as well

attachicon.gifDSC00593.JPG

This shows the tail lift platform painted and new board fitted, complete with logos. All I need now is a small sticker for the tail lift board " Gateshead WRD - Quality approved"  - that might be a bit tricky to find!

Next jobs are the rear roller shutter, new rear tyres ( gulp at £840!) and refurb rear wheels!

Andy

Some fine shots there Andy, looking good and even the white one looks better in the sunshine.  Unfortunatley I don't have any pics of either in their service days. One day I must get to see your collection, perhaps with the Dodge and Terrier by then !

Cheers Merf.

Hi just joined the site and interested in heavy haulage and railways some nice pictures of Br road stock

Regards

Ferryhill tmd

Welcome Ferryhill, I like the avatar of the Freightliner Roadtrain, a bigger Leyland than mine.

For more photos of B R motors you may like to have a look at my 'flickr' site at - 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/sets/72157625373519212/

or a new site on the Yahoo groups, in its infancy but I hope to get more people to post their photos there -

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/BRRT/?yguid=522976322

Merf.

ps. I don't know how Idid that (the slideshow)

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1