3 hours ago, russ p said:

Obviously you've never owned one. The MG versions were fantastic and even the EFi was faster than a golf gti and the turbos were ridiculously fast

I've just had a 2½ hour drive in my efi and my back is far better than a similar drive in some horrible bland modern box

I have driven MG Maestros, Sherpas , J4,  Metros , 1100, Allegros and a MG Montegos (with seizing kingpins when it wasnt moving luckily) . All Company owned and very typical lower end 1970's & 80's mass produced "Cars/Vans " . They may  have been "fast"  between the numerous failures/faults. I never trusted the brakes to actually work to find out.

They must have all been ones from BL famous Friday afternoon special examples .

No I have never owned one !!! 🫣

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, micklner said:

I have driven MG Maestros, Sherpas , J4,  Metros , 1100, Allegros and a MG Montegos (with seizing kingpins when it wasnt moving luckily) . All Company owned and very typical lower end 1970's & 80's mass produced "Cars/Vans " . They may  have been "fast"  between the numerous failures/faults. I never trusted the brakes to actually work to find out.

They must have all been ones from BL famous Friday afternoon special examples .

No I have never owned one !!! 🫣

Montego don't have kingpins suspension is identical to golf .

Why won't the brakes work???

I'm sorry mate but it's comments like this that we don't have a car industry anymore 

My ZT isn't a bad car but every time something goes wrong it's a BMW part but people won't stand up and complain that BMW aren't great because they have become must have fashion accessories 

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, micklner said:

The first time I have ever heard/read of someone calling a Maestro "nice" !!!😂  

A simply Dreadful vehicle , as all BL rust buckets of that era !!

Not all - My Dad had a red Maestro (C271 RNV) a company car from Granada TV, it was that good he bought it when it came round to change over! Zero rust and never let us down! It was the family car until he got a new Astra in the early 90’s.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, russ p said:

Montego don't have kingpins suspension is identical to golf .

Why won't the brakes work???

I'm sorry mate but it's comments like this that we don't have a car industry anymore 

My ZT isn't a bad car but every time something goes wrong it's a BMW part but people won't stand up and complain that BMW aren't great because they have become must have fashion accessories 

RE Montegos a long time ago the thing was knackered either way. Wheel Bearings?  Most cars still had Drum Brakes on at least the rear .

Re comments re Car Industry , we dont have one because of all the Industrial actions which self destructed them , the same as the Coal Industry etc etc . Not surprising that people still remember what they were like then and now. Without and Rose Tinted Spectacles being used.

The Car industry self destructed itself and that applies to the designs and build quality of the terrible rust buckets of virtually all makes at the time. They were designed to trap water, poor painting and general design standards from the 1930's . I can remember seeing new Ford Granada shells on the back of Car transporter being moved from on factory to another still bare metal in Dagenham. Wonder what happended to them when it rained !!??.

Look at modern cars when was the last time did  you see one with serious corrosion. Current Cars simply are designed and built better by Computers etc etc. Their weakness now is the electronics and the numerous filters being used not the build quality.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Early ones had pretty crap wheel bearings but so did a lot of cars of the era

They all had rear drum brakes which again was common 

Even some modern cars still have them. I've just done the shoes on misses SIAC MG 3 absolutely cheap and nasty compared to the maestro as everything is on it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, quicksilvercoaches said:

This BR Maestro was at the BL Autumn Rally at Milton Keynes Museum today. I think it's actually ex BT rather than BR but a nice replica nonetheless.

D578GAE.jpg.cc2ddde526e722fefd0773f307c78903.jpg

Yep, ex British Telecom, Bristol registered. Another of the same batch is still around (not my pic): 

Austin Maestro 500 City D607GAE

17 hours ago, russ p said:

Obviously you've never owned one. The MG versions were fantastic and even the EFi was faster than a golf gti and the turbos were ridiculously fast

I've just had a 2½ hour drive in my efi and my back is far better than a similar drive in some horrible bland modern box

If I recall correctly there was a great advertising poster of Maestro Turbo with the strapline "The Golf will be along in a second..." as it was 1 second quick 0-60 than a Golf.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Yep, ex British Telecom, Bristol registered. Another of the same batch is still around (not my pic): 

Austin Maestro 500 City D607GAE

If I recall correctly there was a great advertising poster of Maestro Turbo with the strapline "The Golf will be along in a second..." as it was 1 second quick 0-60 than a Golf.

I was the maestro EFI I have a t-shirt with it on . The turbo was even faster 0-60 in 6.7 sec. Still fast today 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...