Thanks for comments :) come across most of these whilst searching the net for photos on another topic. Got a few more but mainly Scarabs.

I'm also keen on railway vehicles so saved them if I saw one. The captions mainly relate to location only and I've lost most of these, but from memory the first one the Commer is in Sidmouth , the steam crane is near Wigan . And the Ford D'S in London obviously.

Is the FG dropside at Banstead pic 5 a railway truck, I wasn't sure ?

Has anyone had a go at making a Ford D baby artic with the Base toys models?

Thanks for comments :) come across most of these whilst searching the net for photos on another topic. Got a few more but mainly Scarabs.

I'm also keen on railway vehicles so saved them if I saw one. The captions mainly relate to location only and I've lost most of these, but from memory the first one the Commer is in Sidmouth , the steam crane is near Wigan . And the Ford D'S in London obviously.

Is the FG dropside at Banstead pic 5 a railway truck, I wasn't sure ?

Has anyone had a go at making a Ford D baby artic with the Base toys models?

Hi jcb 3c,

I feel the Morris FG at Banstead is not a railway one. The livery does not look to be crimson/cream as the top of the cab seems too dark and not green as the whole thing seems too light. Also the reg number appears as 4numbers/2 letters, not used by London who registered the SR vehicles.

For the Base Toys Ford D, I suggest shortening the chassis to 27mm wheelbase and using the smallest wheels that they do. The cab looks OK as it is. Oh by the way, I havn't done one but it's on the to do list.

Merfyn.

Probably not original. The prologue of that film was set during the war (hence the shelter 'kits' on the back) so most likely it's a studio repaint.

Ah thought it was a bit strange not to have been BR repainted ,I should have watched the film ! :) (or the other stills , doh)

Slight error on that last parcel van livery that should have white brather than yellow and red 'Rail Express Parcels' on the side instead of black. Overall useful, nonetheless.

Superb finds there jcb 3c. I assume Manchester area from the website, but may not be.

I thought maybe Salford goods as the curved viaduct with no overhead wires maybe ?

Merfyn

Thanks ,The arches are at 'Ardwick West Goods Station' The Foden is 'delivering beams to Hyde Road Bridge'. I think the whole subject of Railway road vehicles gets very little cover and its amazing how few photos there are on the net ,even as background to the zillions of train/rail infrastructure pics.

I am mainly interested in the 60/70s period and Rangers link above is the only good info I've seen on 'yellow' period vehicles

Heres a pic illustrating old and new liveries on what i think are Austin WF and Scarab artics and a rather fine ERF 8 wheeler beer tanker.

post-3430-12651069793153_thumb.jpg

Improving the Base Toys Karrier Bantam.

Not a bad little model, that can be improved with a little work. The wheelbase should be 25mm and is a bit long. It can be shortened if you think it worthwhile. The fifth wheel type coupling is wrong but this can be prised off with a screwdriver and a bit of cutting and filing to the rear of the chassis can give room for the Scammell type coupling. Then add the ramps to the rear of the chassis, mine made from brass square section glued to the chassis rails and bent to shape. I fitted smaller wheels which helps the look, from another Base Toys model. Then the front wheelarch can be improved with a lining of 20 thou. plastic card.

Further improvments can be the black window rubbers, done since the photos, and a big improvment. The trailers also will benefit with a bit of work.

Merfyn.

Left the improved model and right as bought.

Bottom, with an Oxford trailer.

post-1625-12651929924251_thumb.jpg

post-1625-12651929506682_thumb.jpg

Improving the Base Toys Karrier Bantam.

Not a bad little model, that can be improved with a little work. The wheelbase should be 25mm and is a bit long. It can be shortened if you think it worthwhile. The fifth wheel type coupling is wrong but this can be prised off with a screwdriver and a bit of cutting and filing to the rear of the chassis can give room for the Scammell type coupling. Then add the ramps to the rear of the chassis, mine made from brass square section glued to the chassis rails and bent to shape. I fitted smaller wheels which helps the look, from another Base Toys model. Then the front wheelarch can be improved with a lining of 20 thou. plastic card.

Further improvments can be the black window rubbers, done since the photos, and a big improvment. The trailers also will benefit with a bit of work.

Merfyn.

Left the improved model and right as bought.

Bottom, with an Oxford trailer.

post-1625-12651929924251_thumb.jpg

post-1625-12651929506682_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Merfyn- looking at the photo of your model, I can understand the comment in the recent book on Southern Region road vehicles about the handling characteristics when running without a trailer. There's a lot of lorry forward of the front axle. My father used to run a Bantam tipper and a Bedford 'O' in the early 1960s, but was persuaded to replace them with a Standard Atlas pick-up and a BMC FG, which were real dogs.

I remember seeing lots of these little lorries in Redbridge Council blue and cream back in the early '80s some, I think, up to 'S' reg (or 'T'?). Not bad for something so obviously 1940s in appearance. The windscreen always looked odd as it clearly had a crease down the middle where two flat angled screens on the original design had been replaced by a single pane, but to the same shape, on the later builds.

A useful picture jcb 3c, interesting to see the two railway vehicles have gray roofs, would this have been a translucent material to give light inside or was it just under coat or unpainted? Model manufacturers mostly paint the roof body colour, an easy improvement would be to paint and weather this to more resemble the real thing.

Merfyn, good to see pictures of your models again, I would be interested to know what smaller wheels your Karrier Bantam cab unit uses, it has been said on another forum that this model was stretched scale wise to fit the standard Base models chassis and is nearer S scale than 00.

A useful picture jcb 3c, interesting to see the two railway vehicles have gray roofs, would this have been a translucent material to give light inside or was it just under coat or unpainted? Model manufacturers mostly paint the roof body colour, an easy improvement would be to paint and weather this to more resemble the real thing.

Merfyn, good to see pictures of your models again, I would be interested to know what smaller wheels your Karrier Bantam cab unit uses, it has been said on another forum that this model was stretched scale wise to fit the standard Base models chassis and is nearer S scale than 00.

From what I recollect of unloading ex-BR parcels vans and trailers at various jobs from the mid-1970s onwards, many of them had translucent areas in their roofs to give some additional light. Some were greyish-white, others were a sort of honey colour.

The translucence panels on the various roofs were just fibre glass panels made without any colouring pigment being put in the resin. Normally only light weight glass mat was used to giver more translucency. It was not recommended to climb onto the roof during maintainance for obvious reasons!

Wally

The good thing with Base Toys is the interchangability of parts. The small wheels came off an early BMC FG which they were far too small for. I think there are about 3 different wheel sizes that they use.

I have measured the Bantam cab and compared against the drawing. The cabs were 6'6" wide and the model works out 1mm too wide, not bad and certainly not S scale. The first release had the same chassis as the Leyland Comet, but most later releases have a bespoke short w b chassis that suits. Also looks good with a Ford D cab fitted.

The translucent roofs are a good improvment to any model. I learnt to do them from Rippers on this very thread on the previous version of RMweb. Here is one I made earlier.

Merfyn.

post-1625-126522619215_thumb.jpg

Superb models Mervyn . Few more pics fom my net meanderings.

Cracking photo of very new looking Thornycroft Nippy artic. The actual vehicle modeled by Corgi Trackside .

http://thornycroft.org.uk/Images_BW2/Nippy9.jpg

Anyone know if this Caterpillar 933 tracked loader is a BR vehicle ?? It appears to have the side tip bucket for ballast and is working at London Road Station Manchester.

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=61290

BR Bedford CA van with bored staff, Central Station Manchester

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=60964

BR Bedford CA mini bus, Victoria Station Manchester

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=59977

BR Yellow Scarabs and a Karrier

http://www.busmuseum.org.uk/webnews/webnews008/Scarabs-at-St-Davids.gif

Another Thornycroft Nippy

http://thornycroft.org.uk/Images_BW2/Nippy10.JPG

Superb models Mervyn . Few more pics fom my net meanderings.

Cracking photo of very new looking Thornycroft Nippy artic. The actual vehicle modeled by Corgi Trackside .

http://thornycroft.org.uk/Images_BW2/Nippy9.jpg

Anyone know if this Caterpillar 933 tracked loader is a BR vehicle ?? It appears to have the side tip bucket for ballast and is working at London Road Station Manchester.

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=61290

BR Bedford CA van with bored staff, Central Station Manchester

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=60964

BR Bedford CA mini bus, Victoria Station Manchester

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/web/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=59977

BR Yellow Scarabs and a Karrier

http://www.busmuseum.org.uk/webnews/webnews008/Scarabs-at-St-Davids.gif

Another Thornycroft Nippy

http://thornycroft.org.uk/Images_BW2/Nippy10.JPG

Another superb collection there jcb 3c. I found the Manchester Library site and went through all "Railway" related items, all 2018 of them, very interesting. In addition to your posted items, I found a Ford Thames 300E van, to do from a Pocketbond. A couple of LMR cars, Hilman Minx,registered JJH and Austin A40, WRO reg. A Fordson shunting tractor at Oldham Rd.

The tracked excavator is a contractors vehicle, BR would have given it a fleet number and red livery.

The Nippy is the one that Corgi dropped a clanger with. They did it in red/cream with cream wheels. Trouble with using black & white photos. It is actualy in chocolate/cream with British Railways branding, the give away is the wheels which were red. Red/cream livery had black wheels.

Merfyn

The brown / cream livery of the Great Western did not dissapear overnight in Jan. 1948 on the road vehicles just the same as on the coaching stock. For a while until the repaints got in their stride the old liverys just got B R branding. There was a bit of experimenting with new liveries in 1948 before the familiar crimson / cream was adopted. Some road vehicles had an interim livery of maroon it is commonly thought, but no colour photos have come to light and it is not known what shade it was.

The Thornycroft Nippy mechanical horses were in production for a few years, being built for GWR and BR, the cabs being produced at Swindon works.

Merfyn.

The brown / cream livery of the Great Western did not dissapear overnight in Jan. 1948 on the road vehicles just the same as on the coaching stock. For a while until the repaints got in their stride the old liverys just got B R branding. There was a bit of experimenting with new liveries in 1948 before the familiar crimson / cream was adopted. Some road vehicles had an interim livery of maroon it is commonly thought, but no colour photos have come to light and it is not known what shade it was.

The Thornycroft Nippy mechanical horses were in production for a few years, being built for GWR and BR, the cabs being produced at Swindon works.

Merfyn.

So predominantly only seen on or close to the Western Region, or did they spread more widely in BR ownership?

Incidentally, a new arrival in the Base Toys range is a Foden DG, as an artic tractor in Pickfords colours with a low-loader trailer, or as a GWR-liveried ballast tractor with a drawbar low-loader. Is the GWR version prototypical, and is there potential for this in other railway liveries?

http://www.ayrey.co.uk/dbimages/models/BTO%20D73.jpg