A couple of recent jobs finished .

Been on the unfinished pile for some years. A Springside Models Karrier Bantam. Mechanical horse made from an old kit. The downside of Springside kits is making the cab/bodies from a number of parts. Of course now you can buy a one piece cab by RTI or B-T, so I would not do one of these again.

RNK100 dates from 1953 and has the 2 piece windscreens, later modernised with a single screen.

Coupled to a Bachmann 3ton trailer.

post-1625-0-49540800-1350312444_thumb.jpg

For some time I have looked at the B-T Ford D cab and thought it looks wrong. A comparison with an old kit from MiKits showed the same main dimensions but a few mods. were needed.

The windscreen needs raising nearer to the roof line. This gets rid of the heavy gutter line around the roof and makes a big improvment. The other thing to do is add the windows in the rear of the cab to allow your driver to see when coupling up to a trailer.

The model of a BR artic is meant to represent a heavier D1000 tractor unit and to emphasise the size, I have raised the cab by about 60 thou. above the chassis and beefed up the chassis rails before building a new 5th wheel unit. A new larger fuel tank is made from plastic card. Looks better than the medium weight unit the model represents. These units were mainly used for Freightliner workings, hauling 20' or 30' containers.

post-1625-0-47060100-1350312571_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-53420100-1350312519_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Definintely an improvement on the original, Merf, but...

I bought a Base Toys/BT "D Series", and quickly realised why Ford had not licenced the model.

In brief, comparing with a photo blitz I did on a D1000 Perkins V8 tractor unit at this year's Gaydon Classic truck show with a view to modelling it:

Mudguards incorrect shape

Bumper incorrect shape, and shouldn't wrap around into doors

Doors too long, rear quarters too short, bumper wraparound prevents bottom swage from being incorporated in doors

No inward rake to rear panels (much too upright), and curvature too sharp

Quarterlight/main cab door window relationship incorrect in size and proportions; windscreen pillars in wrong place and wrong shape/angle

Headlamps too close together

Indicators/sidelamps incorrectly shaped and in wrong places

Grille and styling panel above it bear no relationship to the original

Cab roof too flat... etc.

I gave up at that point on a "too much work" basis. I now keep the model in view, as a reminder to research with photos before committing to buy anything!

The Langley Ford D-Series cab is a work of art and is available separately - highly recommended. I've yet to see the RTI Ford D-Series in round-headlamp form, but given the quality of other RTI cabs I have in stock, that will probably be worth a look too.

Definintely an improvement on the original, Merf, but...

I bought a Base Toys/BT "D Series", and quickly realised why Ford had not licenced the model.

In brief, comparing with a photo blitz I did on a D1000 Perkins V8 tractor unit at this year's Gaydon Classic truck show with a view to modelling it:

Mudguards incorrect shape

Bumper incorrect shape, and shouldn't wrap around into doors

Doors too long, rear quarters too short, bumper wraparound prevents bottom swage from being incorporated in doors

No inward rake to rear panels (much too upright), and curvature too sharp

Quarterlight/main cab door window relationship incorrect in size and proportions; windscreen pillars in wrong place and wrong shape/angle

Headlamps too close together

Indicators/sidelamps incorrectly shaped and in wrong places

Grille and styling panel above it bear no relationship to the original

Cab roof too flat... etc.

I gave up at that point on a "too much work" basis. I now keep the model in view, as a reminder to research with photos before committing to buy anything!

The Langley Ford D-Series cab is a work of art and is available separately - highly recommended. I've yet to see the RTI Ford D-Series in round-headlamp form, but given the quality of other RTI cabs I have in stock, that will probably be worth a look too.

Agreed, a lot of work to get near correct. I had it on the sideboard for weeks until I said "what the heck" a bit of work and a bit of improvment. I probably won't do another. RTI next time.

Merf.

And here is the Mi-kit etc model from over 30 years ago, nice model. This I did in the livery that was current at the time although I only ever saw one photo (publicity shot ?) of a Ford D in this scheme. The livery was usually only carried by the door to door parcel vans painted for BR by NCL.

post-1625-0-43321300-1350481125_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-24910100-1350481177_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Agreed, a lot of work to get near correct. I had it on the sideboard for weeks until I said "what the heck" a bit of work and a bit of improvment. I probably won't do another. RTI next time.

Merf.

I have always liked the D series, a bit before my time though - did the railway ever use that chassis as crew buses? I cant recall seeing any pics of them. Nice models though - your fleet must be massive by now!

I have always liked the D series, a bit before my time though - did the railway ever use that chassis as crew buses? I cant recall seeing any pics of them. Nice models though - your fleet must be massive by now!

Yes there were crew buses, but I have only seen them used by the Midland Region for overhead line use. Photos very thin on the ground. One I saw for sale some years ago, in a magazine clasified. Rooftop extension not a BR fitting.

post-1625-0-34701800-1350502578_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

This is stretching the boundaries of a road vehicle, but is for sale on ebay, would make a nice model project for merf!

Ebay Item number: 140795123975

Only problem is where to put it! post-12679-0-69073400-1342252084.jpg

He he I know the seller. It was a used as part of the ECML electrification.

Hello all, has anybody got any good images of EWS tanker trailers? I'm trying to build one in 1:76.

This is the best image I can find:

ewstanker2_zpsddaa6af2.jpg

Many thanks, Chris.

Edited by Sunters

• RMweb Premium

Hello all, has anybody got any good images of EWS tanker trailers? I'm trying to build one in 1:76.

This is the best image I can find:

ewstanker2_zpsddaa6af2.jpg

Many thanks, Chris.

Oxford have a road tanker listed for future production in their modern trucks range.

Yes there were crew buses, but I have only seen them used by the Midland Region for overhead line use. Photos very thin on the ground. One I saw for sale some years ago, in a magazine clasified. Rooftop extension not a BR fitting.

post-1625-0-34701800-1350502578_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Interesting, I wonder if the boards on the roof are toe boards, I.e. if the roof was used as working platform, or may be just to carry ladders and stuff and stop them falling off - thats the first picture I have seend of a D Series, despite hours googling until my eyes are sqaure!

The one in the picture was last taxed in 2007, so its probably razor blades by now!

Edited by andye

Oxford have a road tanker listed for future production in their modern trucks range.

Thanks for letting me know.

I have already started building the tanker, I was just looking for some images to help.

Cheers, Chris.

Interesting, I wonder if the boards on the roof are toe boards, I.e. if the roof was used as working platform, or may be just to carry ladders and stuff and stop them falling off - thats the first picture I have seend of a D Series, despite hours googling until my eyes are sqaure!

The one in the picture was last taxed in 2007, so its probably razor blades by now!

Just to carry the ladders from the other pics I have seen. Unfortunatley somebody elses copyright. There seem to be a number of loops at the front of the roof to hook the ladders over, sitting side by side, with the boards to keep them on.

Merf.

Bit of a random enquiry this one, but...

Can anyone suggest a suitable registration number for a mid-1970s yellow BR Bedford HA van please? I'm modelling a chrome-grille, chrome-bumper version; just a bog-standard van, not an S&T with vents/roofracks/ladder (I'm saving that for next time!). WR or LMR registrations will be fine, to suit either of my fleets.

A pre-'72 one with silver-on-black reg plates would be particularly appreciated!

Cheers all :)

From a 1970s photo in 'Classic Van & Pick-up' TLX 534 M; not quite old enough, but the van is the early type. Reflective plates were in use from 1968; I'm not sure, but British Rail may have been an early adopter.

Also noticed it has a roof rack - sorry!

Edited by BernardTPM

From a 1970s photo in 'Classic Van & Pick-up' TLX 534 M; not quite old enough, but the van is the early type. Reflective plates were in use from 1968; I'm not sure, but British Rail may have been an early adopter.

Also noticed it has a roof rack - sorry!

1973/4 registered, and is one of very few I have records of. Information of vehicles in the 1970s is almost impossible to come by, unless some body can help.

I have loads of HA vans listed for the LMR from 1967/8, but they would have been green with fleet numbers, then a huge gap until the S reg. ones in 1977/8, which had black grilles.

2 registrations for WR I have are KYM 8P & KYM 36P (at Cardiff) Chrome grill, reflective plates.

So the change of grille colour was about 1977-8.

Reflective plates fitted when they became compulsory, c1973 but I have not come across any fitted earlier except to vehicles as replacments.

Merf.