Very nice model how did you do the conversion? I'm building one just now, rather than modify the body I opted to scratch build it with plasticard. It may not be 100% perfect but will look ok I hope.

Razor saw to reduce the height. Drill and file the windows, and a new door from plastic card.

Quick question where can you buy British Rail transfers for yellow lorries and vans? Also does anyone make the scotrail version black lettering on light blue background?

Scotrail not available.  But the British Rail with double arrow is available, can't remember who , but the usual transfer people may have them.

I do my own on clear transfer paper, using the British Rail font downloaded from the net.

Very nice model how did you do the conversion? I'm building one just now, rather than modify the body I opted to scratch build it with plasticard. It may not be 100% perfect but will look ok I hope.

Now kicking myself I did not buy the body for this at Perth on Saturday when I bought the Oxford BRS lorry, for those not familiar with Road Transport Images I think you can buy the cab, chassis, body etc seperatly

http://www.roadtransportimages.com/search-results?isc=1&searchword=british%20crew&ordering=xf3

Oxford Ford would need shortened for body to fit, but that was of the type I saw more often.

To answer the post 're transfers i think road transport images do transfers although not ScotRail ones. Am thinking use light blue stripes for Fox and then black ScotRail lettering from Fox, Replica or any other manufacturers.

Now kicking myself I did not buy the body for this at Perth on Saturday when I bought the Oxford BRS lorry, for those not familiar with Road Transport Images I think you can buy the cab, chassis, body etc seperatly

http://www.roadtransportimages.com/search-results?isc=1&searchword=british%20crew&ordering=xf3

Oxford Ford would need shortened for body to fit, but that was of the type I saw more often.

To answer the post 're transfers i think road transport images do transfers although not ScotRail ones. Am thinking use light blue stripes for Fox and then black ScotRail lettering from Fox, Replica or any other manufacturers.

RTI do all their vehicles as modules; cab, chassis, body etc; you need only buy the bits you want.

Not seen that before !  100% fiction as Routemasters were only ever bought new by London Transport in that form. British Railways stopped using that livery in 1963, many years before any Routemasters were sold by LT.  And of course British Railways never ran bus services (except Sheffield)

But I bet these will be seen on lots of layouts outside the station, or even on the bridge.

Two recent additions to the collection. Both from Frank Waller's RTI kits.

The recently introduced Austin A40 van represents a LMR service vehicle from The Grove at Watford. 

The Commer BF van, converted to a minibus and represents a Civil Engineers vehicle based at Rhyl.

post-1625-0-97480400-1435840129_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-69586700-1435840138_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-91785400-1435840146_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Regarding the earlier discussion on Bachmann's forthcoming model 38-119 Bristol VRT bus in DM&EE blue/yellow, I emailed EFE about the colour scheme and their reply is reproduced below.

Hello Phil

Thank you for your email and comments, sorry for the delay in replying to you.

We certainly found it a little confusing when looking at few images of this bus as to what colour it is, but after discussing it with several people who had first hand experience of seeing this bus, we chose blue as it was what they suggested. We hope this allays your concerns and thank you again for your email.

Thank You

Frank Joyce

From the team at EFE

Seems fair enough to me. Also very impressed that they replied. Emailed a multinational and a little shop about 3 months ago, despite assurances they had received my email and it would be dealt with not heard anything back, so well done to EFE.

Regards

Phil

• Like 3

Regarding the earlier discussion on Bachmann's forthcoming model 38-119 Bristol VRT bus in DM&EE blue/yellow, I emailed EFE about the colour scheme and their reply is reproduced below.

Hello Phil

Thank you for your email and comments, sorry for the delay in replying to you.

We certainly found it a little confusing when looking at few images of this bus as to what colour it is, but after discussing it with several people who had first hand experience of seeing this bus, we chose blue as it was what they suggested. We hope this allays your concerns and thank you again for your email.

Thank You

Frank Joyce

From the team at EFE

Seems fair enough to me. Also very impressed that they replied. Emailed a multinational and a little shop about 3 months ago, despite assurances they had received my email and it would be dealt with not heard anything back, so well done to EFE.

Regards

Phil

I have 7 colour pictures of one and 5 of the other bus and on none of the photos is there any hint of blue, all are certainly grey. The grey looks as though it may be the darker grey as used on the Railfreight triple grey livery.

Unfortunately no photo I took myself, but many can be found on 'flickr'

Last time I contacted EFE about a railway vehicle colour, it was too late to change "it's on the ship" but they appreciated my input.

Merf.

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 1

Given a choice between different photographs and people memories I would work to the photos first

as Merfyn has said there are several photos on the web (presumably where they got the graphic from) and clearly they all show the bus a grey

bit if an own goal I think on the part of EFE

I would say dark grey fadding to a lighter grey. I think there were only two one "D. of M.& E.E." and the other "Plant & Machinery". 

I have a picture in a "BR Plant & Machinery on British Railways" guide that shows "Special Training Vehicle" of the D of M&EE version looking a medium grey. I can't find a date in the guide.

The one photo I took was not of the bus but a Ballast Cleaner in Ashford PAD in 1989 which shows the Plant & Machinery version in the far distance. In this it looks medium grey.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Great shot Chard, a standard rig of the period. Bedford TKE with a BR design 5ton trailer. Would this be the trunk unit to fetch the sundries and parcels from the nearest railhead after the line closed ?

Merf.

I'm guessing so, Merf.  At least Gala and Hawick were still functioning as parcel hubs at this time.  Possibly St Boswells too.  I'd love to know more about the fleet, garages and allocations in this period when the railway had ceased to be, in everything but name.

Question.

Were the red BR arrows common on NCL vehicles & trailers? 

Answer

No, not common.  They were red, black, or not used at all.  Probably local use for the ex BR work. More often seen on the unit cab doors than the trailers from the photos I have.

Answer

No, not common.  They were red, black, or not used at all.  Probably local use for the ex BR work. More often seen on the unit cab doors than the trailers from the photos I have.

Arrows of Regret in the rail-less Borders I reckon....

• 2 weeks later...

The Commer PB was a whitemetal by Roxey, their only 4mm kit.

Yes the Fleetline in NSE livery was for bridge work, based at Croydon, possibly to replace the Bedford TK that Oxford do. Note no seats on top !

Merfyn.

attachicon.gifGHV90N a.jpg

Merfyn

looking back though this forum I note you have photos of the NSE fleetline bus, I am currently building one of these do you have any pictures showing the interior and top deck