• RMweb Gold

There's a whole load of interesting commercial, public service & military vehicles in this photostream. Most don't seem to have information or even identification with them, unless it has been added as comment later.

There's a whole load of interesting commercial, public service & military vehicles in this photostream. Most don't seem to have information or even identification with them, unless it has been added as comment later.

If you follow this link, it goes to the albums of road vehicles, without the diversions into other thinks. It also breaks the site into manageable chunks.:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67384646@N08/albums

• 1 month later...

Picked up this kit from the ever enthusiastic Scottish Modeller of RMWEB and managed to get the Scaledale lorry to which I hope to combine it with, one day.

Phil has still got some of his kits left and am sure can be contacted using a pm if required.

Be aware however that that style of crew bus body was not used on Bedford TK chassis. They were mainly used on Dodge and Leylands with a few Fords.

Be aware however that that style of crew bus body was not used on Bedford TK chassis. They were mainly used on Dodge and Leylands with a few Fords.

Oh dear, thought I had come up with a cunning plan. Had scoured the internet for a picture of one , had failed to find one on the net right enough and was beginning to get suspicious.

I also have a couple of the Oxford Ford Cargo lorries. I have seen photos of them with the crew bus.

Couple of questions, were the Ford cabs used by ScotRail in the mid 80s (85 or 86)?

Is there any chance although not used down South, ScotRail used the Bedford TKs for crew buses?

Oh dear, thought I had come up with a cunning plan. Had scoured the internet for a picture of one , had failed to find one on the net right enough and was beginning to get suspicious.

I also have a couple of the Oxford Ford Cargo lorries. I have seen photos of them with the crew bus.

Couple of questions, were the Ford cabs used by ScotRail in the mid 80s (85 or 86)?

Is there any chance although not used down South, ScotRail used the Bedford TKs for crew buses?

The Bedford TK was used for some of the 22 seat crew buses used by the relaying gangs (done by Oxford) but not the VSB7 bodied 14 seat maintenance buses (as that kit)

There were some Ford Cargo.s but not as many as the Leyland and Dodges.

Procurement was national, so Scotrail had no choice in the buying policy.

J759HSU, K166/171NGD are the only Ford Cargos I have records of in Scotland , 1991/2

Merfyn

Even though I was hoping for different answers thanks for taking the time to reply.

These were the most common type in mid 80s, both from  RTI models for the cabs, and chassis you could use the Oxford shortened from the Ford Cargo which has the right size wheels.

post-1625-0-85009400-1488208052_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

These were the most common type in mid 80s, both from  RTI models for the cabs, and chassis you could use the Oxford shortened from the Ford Cargo which has the right size wheels.

Roadrunner.jpg

When did the first Roadrunner crewbuses enter service? The model replaced the Redline derived Terrier in late 1984 but I don't remember seeing them as crewbuses until much later, perhaps into the 90s?

Same person also has this photo. I would have assumed it would have been earlier than 1993. Interestingly no visible branding.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cagiva1994/16099386961/in/album-72157649690482088/

These have had BR branding, but its been removed. I think these have just been retired and sold off. You can see the BR branding on the body at roof level on the front, of the one on the right.

When did the first Roadrunner crewbuses enter service? The model replaced the Redline derived Terrier in late 1984 but I don't remember seeing them as crewbuses until much later, perhaps into the 90s?

I would guess around 1986, at D registration, Merfyn may know better! the last roadrunners were 1991, then 1992 on the revised front and they became Leyland Daf 45.

Andy 

About 1984 it was as there were many A reg. Terriers (1983/4) followed by B reg. Roadrunners (1984/5) Perhaps you didn't get any in your area, but round here we had a lot mainly C reg. and the crews loved them as they could do 70 !  Can't say if it was true as I was still driving a Terrier.

These have had BR branding, but its been removed. I think these have just been retired and sold off. You can see the BR branding on the body at roof level on the front, of the one on the right.

Maybe just prepared for sale as they are parked on BR land, the old Goods depot at Waverley which later became the power box.

About 1984 it was as there were many A reg. Terriers (1983/4) followed by B reg. Roadrunners (1984/5) Perhaps you didn't get any in your area, but round here we had a lot mainly C reg. and the crews loved them as they could do 70 !  Can't say if it was true as I was still driving a Terrier.

Around 75Mph down hill!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's still there but about three years ago there was still one of these at reading depot in rerailing livery

Russ, Reading depot has been flattened and re developed, the upper triangle is long gone now, ! 

• RMweb Gold

Cheers, i wonder what happened to the tool van?

There was a Dodge personal carrier on eBay recently didn't look too bad unfortunately it didn't sell so hope it hasn't been scrapped

I would guess around 1986, at D registration, Merfyn may know better! the last roadrunners were 1991, then 1992 on the revised front and they became Leyland Daf 45.

Andy 

I don't remember the details, or take a photo, but crew buses of this type were being built at Wolverton works during the open day 1 Oct 1988.

Paul

• Like 1

I don't remember the details, or take a photo, but crew buses of this type were being built at Wolverton works during the open day 1 Oct 1988.

Paul

Interesting Paul, must be the last B R (or BREL) works producing them as many were from the private bodybuilders like Besco or Locomotors by then. The last VSB7 style crew bus I saw was a L reg.

With Oxford's Sherpa minibus due out this week, I am reminded to show their Sherpa van reproduced as a B R version. MNN871W was in a different livery for the works at Horwich. A photo found on the net. gave the idea for something one off.

post-1625-0-80224400-1490185184_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-10139200-1490185196_thumb.jpg

• Like 5