Churnet Valley Railway

jamessolomon

Have been considering this as a side project to my main layout as a way to lean things. Its not that far up the road and when iv been there several times its quite a nice setting for a railway so have a couple of questions as a starting point.

1) Since this is a preserved railway running both steam and diesel locomotives was wondering since i have a few small steam engines and some diesels and lots of rolling stock available what sort of traffic would this line have run up untill 1988. I know it carried passengers up until 1965 but was this a scheduled service using steam and diesels and what sorta company was using the line in steam era.

2) Got a mix of coaching ranging from mk1s to mk3s and a small mix of freight wagons. For steam would i need some coaching in the old non BR colours and which would look right for the line and the type of wagons was it mostly coal wagons or a mix of vans coal wagons and tankers

3) I have this book at home which is a start and has some useful info in it as a starting base to get started but was looking to expand with peoples knowledge on the line

517Z41CD0RL._SY300_.jpg

4) Any other info people tell me about the whole line in general http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Churnet_Valley_Railway would be interesting to read and become more knowledgeable on

From closure to passengers in '65 until complete closure, this was a British Rail operated, freight-only network, for the movement of minerals, principally sand.

Class 24 and later 25 and 20 diesels were the staple power from the mid seventies until the end AFAIK.

• Like 1

I think this link should take you to a site with more gen on the traffic carried:-

http://www.cvmrd.freeserve.co.uk/

The Churnet Valley bit of the line carried sand from the British Industrial Sand plant to glass-makers and other users, principally in the Warrington- St Helens area. I worked alongside the line from Leekbrook Junction to Stoke from late 1977 to about 1980. At that point, 24s and 25s were the main motive power, with 24081 seeming to be a very frequent visitor.

Various wagon types were used, not all at the same time. These included Sand Tipplers, iron-ore tipplers, MTVs (tipplers built on second-hand tank chassis), Covhops and Prestwins. Trains normally had a couple of barrier vans at either end, to give additional brake force, and stop the guard getting covered by sand. These were ex-Cattle vans in the mid-1970s, then Banana vans, and finally ex-Ford Palvans; these were attached/detached at Cockshute Yard, Stoke, when the loaded vehicles were marshalled into a main-line freight.

At Leekbrook, a branch continued to the quarry at Caldon Low; at the time I was in Stoke, this was sending aggregate to Witton (Birmingham) in MTVs, and large boulders on fitted Plate wagons to Angerstein Wharf, London. These latter were for the Thames Barrier. The sand and limestone trains worked separately from Stoke.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the exhibit this weekend at Crewe so will think about seeing whats there for this project.I am purchasing some track for a project on the main layout but might get a few other things to kickstart this off. When i get paid at the end of the month might purchase the baseboard for it we shall see how it unfolds and might post progress pictures

• 3 weeks later...

Using leftover track I have a big mess on the bedroom floor working out the track plan for how big I need the base board. Decided to get this one rolling over December as TV is crap and there's not alot to do so have decided to either go Cheddleton - Leekbrook and end it at the tunnel with a cassette type yard on the end or go Cheddleton - Consall directions

• 1 year later...

Became a volumteer at last weekends open day and today been out helping them sand and paint a shunter in the shed and was talking to them as they mentioned the american locos they have one under restoration and one running but is there any history on them. Its interesting to talk to volunters and members you get to know alot about the railway and its operations the locos and future projects and other bits going on here and there like the 47 in the yard im keen to have a poke at in RES livery was purchased from crew depot by a member after it sitting around for ages rotting away

• 3 years later...

Sadly, the 47 left earlier this year after a group had spent over 10 years working on it on behalf of the owner. 

Sadly, the group didn’t have the funds to pay the owners asking price for it to remain at the CVR, and we heard it’s now being stripped for scrapping at another railway, which seems daft after all the restoration that had gone in to it. A number of the group found that quite upsetting. Cabs, Aux room and engine room had all been refurbished, only the boiler room needed work and the engine refitting which was under overhaul.

however, the restoration of Tamworth Castle now looks more closer, along with some of the lines history - a preserved PAA sand wagon, which worked on the line between 1986 and 1988 prior to its mothballing by BR.

soon there will be a new extension started towards Leek, they are gearing up for it with the Acquirement of some ballast hoppers. Then there is talk of the return south to Oakamoor with the new holiday complex being built within the old sand quarry.

exciting times again.

Edited by andysollis1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I don't know whether to "like" the post for the projected advancement into Leek or to post "sympathy" for the loss of the 47.

I've been watching the various plans for the Leek line in the local press for a while now.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Andy,

I don't know whether to "like" the post for the projected advancement into Leek or to post "sympathy" for the loss of the 47.

I've been watching the various plans for the Leek line in the local press for a while now.

Leek is progressing slowly in the background. Track plans and signalling are being drawn up (hopefully seeing yet another NSR signal box returning to use with the commissioning of Leek Brook Junction) although it’s expected to be in small stages, the first I believe will be to the birchill tunnel. There is still work to be done by other agencies such as the Severn Trent pipe line running down the track bed, which may need to be moved. 

Then it be the loops at the limit and finally the station to follow at a later time as funds permit - sadly it won’t be like the GWR who can afford to build the station before a train or track reach their new terminus.

hopefully once Leek is reached we may be looking to extend again on Cauldon and back to Oakamoor replacing the worn tracks that had been lifted to help pay for other projects.

19 hours ago, Argos said:

Hi Andy,

Btw, have a look at www.shapeways.com/shops/nb3dm there may be some models there you find of interest.