SPA Wagon photos in network rail livery and wagon numbers

Hugh Flynn

• RMweb Gold

Did any of the SPA have the Cardiff rod mill livery? There are some in this collection but after conversion to SEA.

http://gallery6801.f...t/c1110978.html

Paul

York

Hi all,

Not seen any SPA with Cardiff Rod Mill markings.

Have seen some SEA without the hoods that could be mistaken for these though.

One to follow up with Martin Bray?

Thanks

Hugh

From my recollection - whilst the SEA conversions usually had an Allied Steel & Wire 'twisted wire and dragon' logo stuck on one of the side doors, some of the SPA wagons also carried them.

There are some SEA conversions still in use carrying coil from the Cardiff Rod Mill - usually via the 6E40 Tidal - Rotherham, which I believe has been retimed, and ran earlier this week as 6Z17.

I've attached a couple of shots, one showing a SEA conversion at Tidal circa 1990.

The second shows 460454 at Tidal in 2004, with the remains of its ASW sticker at the far end.

The conversion involved fitting angle iron along the top edge of the side doors, and this is visible on this and the wagon to the right.

Appleby did decals for ASW, their Ref. 4T09 was for SEA/SPA and BDA/BEA wagons - with 'twisted wire and dragon' or just 'twisted wire' logos, whilst Ref. 4T11 was a complete set for an SEA including the lettering for the 'sideflex' hood.

51L Models also do ASW transfers for their POA scrap wagon, but my sheet has been slightly misaligned.

Brian R

post-1599-12655765820995_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12655768134428_thumb.jpg

I can confirm that there were at least 2 SPA's with 'Cardiff Rod Mill' branding - I have photographic proof. Unfortunately my scanners packed up so I can't post copies of the prints on here. They were photographed at Warrington Dallam full loads depot sometime in the mid to late 1980's. Both were in rusty 'Railfreight Red' livery and had the ASW/Dragon/Cardiff Rod Mill logo near the right hand end of the wagon. I'm afraid I can't confirm the numbers as the TOP's panels are obscured by BDA's & other SPA's on an adjacent siding.

From memory there were often SPA's with the CRM logo standing at Dallam (unless they were always the same 2!)It spurred me into making up a rake from Cambrian kits and adorning them with Appleby transfers.

Hugh

As a matter of interest, I toured both ASW sites, Tremorfa and Castle Works (aka Cardiff Rod Mill) a month after they went into liquidation, 22/08/02 and on that day there were 120 SEA & SPA wagons located in and around the works and next door in Tidal Sidings.

I've added another photo of the cradles fitted inside the SPA wagons used fo carrying wire coils.

This one is 460669 - sorry about the quality, it was taken through a cab window.

Brian R

post-1599-12655776513451_thumb.jpg

Some SPA's with the Cardiff Rod Mill sticker

460793 recorded Dallam 1989

460797 recorded Trafford Park 1991

461074 recorded Dallam 1988

and there were others. From memory about one in six or seven had them - they were not uncommon but then again by no means on every one.

David R

and there were others. From memory about one in six or seven had them - they were not uncommon but then again by no means on every one.

David R

I don't think there were quite that many but I did photograph

a fair few Cardiff Rod Mill adorned SPAs ... all those I recorded were from lot 3962.

There is one here ...

http://markf6750.fotopic.net/p49694205.html

How close up do you require pics to be? :D

post-330-12657458349542_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Huw,

Do you mean SPA wagons in civil engineering aka 'Dutch' livery ?

Or, some more modern style. ?

I have pics of 460026, 460074 at Tidal, both in 'Dutch' livery. The latter wagon carries a 'PIKE' branding and stencilled 'SPA' code.

In addition I have a shot of 460792 coded ZCA and in 'Dutch' livery at Dingle Rd.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Huw,

Do you mean SPA wagons in civil engineering aka 'Dutch' livery ?

Or, some more modern style. ?

I have pics of 460026, 460074 at Tidal, both in 'Dutch' livery. The latter wagon carries a 'PIKE' branding and stencilled 'SPA' code.

In addition I have a shot of 460792 coded ZCA and in 'Dutch' livery at Dingle Rd.

Brian R

Hi Brian,

I think (hope) this is a livery specific query...

We are talking about ex SPA or ZAA Pike in Network Rail yellow livery.....

Yes - I also need some photos to work from!

Thanks

Huw,

Please excuse my ignorance - as I've not seen a beast so attired in this neck of the woods.

From that, you can guess, I don't have a shot of one.

But I will make it my aim in life to seek one out .......

Good luck with your quest

Brian R

Hugh - Mike Cubberley, the person who took that image is a member here, if you're a DEMU member he's also active on that forum as well, and he has modelled those yellow Network Rail SPA's - might be worth shooting him a PM to ask what numbers they were?

Archived