class 33 train reporting codes/blinds ?

vac_basher

we're slowly getting there with my Crompton. DCC installed. bufferbeam painted. snow plough fitted.

I can't find many photos of my prototype (33004) so could anybody tell me how the train reporting codes (blinds) work for late 1980s - early 1990s. Would i be correct in thinking that the blinds would be white at the front and red at the rear?

All i need to do now is this and add a driver.

Yes, white blinds would be shown at the front and red at the rear. The white ones would be either the route code (combination of letters and/or numbers) or the white rectangles. Red rectangles would be shown at the rear when running light engine, but there would be no need if hauling a train, just as a loco hauling a train doesn't have its tail lights on.

Example of route code blind here: http://sulzer.fotopic.net/p60671294.html

Example of white rectangles: http://www.dennistaylor.fotopic.net/p57979313.html

Example of white blinds on the rear when loco is attached to a train: http://richardjones8646.fotopic.net/p61995867.html

I always put the white blinds on each end of mine and then just ignore it when I am running a 33 light engine. If the loco ended up running with reds on the front (e.g if I had shunted it), it would indicate a danger warning (or more likely a forgetful driver). I have done the same with my 4-CEP as the blinds can't be changed easily.

Don't forget to put a picture of the finished loco on here for us!

Yes, white blinds would be shown at the front and red at the rear. The white ones would be either the route code (combination of letters and/or numbers) or the white rectangles. Red rectangles would be shown at the rear when running light engine, but there would be no need if hauling a train, just as a loco hauling a train doesn't have its tail lights on.

Thanks. White/red rectangles is in fact what i was reffering to.

Don't forget to put a picture of the finished loco on here for us!

Ok, will do in due course! :)

I was trying to find a list of all the reporting numbers (I know I've seen them out there relatively recently) but resorted to using a reporting number seen in an appropriate photo for the early 33/0 I did.

blogentry-1-12652391265079_thumb.jpg

I resorted to knocking up my own blinds which anyone is welcome to use/edit if they wish.

headcode.jpgheadcodered.jpg

It would hardly cost them a great deal to paint them yellow themselves, would it?

After all, as far as I'm awear, no class 33's had black ones.<_<

This was my first 33 and I was very impressed by it. I just think it's let down by some discrepancies which IMO could really have been avoided.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For my class 73 Headcode blinds(see recent blog entry), which are more or less the same as a Class 33, albeit smaller, I used Adobe Photoshop, using the Line tool with correct Thickness, I drew the Bars, and then using the line tool again, at 1 pixel thickness reduced the size and thinned them down where needed, and then when happy I printed mine onto A5 postcard, trial and error and copule of attempts later I managed to get the Bars done.

NL

• 5 weeks later...

Update (If I had of known this was going to be a longterm project I would have started an On My Work Bench :rolleyes: )

My Crompton still isn't ready. I have found some suitable handrails but havn't yet fitted them.

However, upon examaning pics of the prototype I see Heljan have done the roof wrong! :blink: At least when it was a Civil Engineers machine 33004 deffinatly had black cab roofs, rather than all blue.

So there's an extra job for me to do there.... :O

Pics when it's finished.

If you have to repaint the roofs, you may as well modify the profile before doing so. I found that simply filing the cab roof edges down a bit to blend the profile into the cab sides (through the gutter line) really helps the overall look of the loco. Black is very easy to paint well!

Righty-ho! Got the roof painted. Done it with Humbrol enamal matt black. We'll see how that's turned out in the morning when I remove the masking tape - worrying.... :huh:

Then all I have to do it glue the lamp irons, which I made yesterday from some spare (Deltic?) handrails I had in my spares box.

We're getting there.... :D

• RMweb Premium

Just a point in case there might be some misunderstanding about the use of "white" front blinds Class 33s. Whilst on most regions the four character headcode boxes on locos were set to 0O00 then discussed completely, southern region drivers continued to use the two character headcodes on the 33s and 73s. It was unusual, at least on the central and south western sections, to see locos showing two white blinds. The two white dots or other shapes possible above the numbers were, on the other hand, often ignored.

Here's a pic for now.

Still quite not finished, as you can see.

Two windows fell out when I removed the masking tape; and I can't clue the lamp irons back in at the moment either as I left the glue in my car (which isn't here).

Also, I think I might just give the roof another coat of paint tomorrow.

Better pics of it when it's all finished. I just thought I may as well post this one just to show I'm doing something. :lol:

Slow progress on this.... :unsure:

P.S. Perhaps the Mod's could move this to the On My Work Bench section, if they feel it's suitable content.

post-4688-127239391861.jpg

All done! :D (Well, almost. I've just seen in one of the pics that I missed a tiny bit of the roof. So I'll just have to touch that up next time I have my black paint out).

I enjoyed this so much I've just ordered another one! :lol:

Here's a few more pics for you.... Did I do a good job? :unsure:

post-4688-12726281312.jpg

post-4688-127262815339_thumb.jpg

post-4688-127262821287.jpg

post-4688-12726282316.jpg

Looks real good to me, like the driver in his shirt!

Who's figure is it?

Thanks for the feedback Keith :)

Unfortunatly I don't know who the driver is. Over the years I've accumulated loads of people who live in a jar :lol: He's likely to be HO scale (or maybe he was just a shortie before I chopped off his legs, because originally he was a standing figure)

Sorry I can't be of any help.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a pretty exhaustive list here:

http://www.semgonline.com/headcodes/eheadcodes.html

HTH

That's a good source for passenger workings but does not address freight headcodes. These were listed in the Freight Working Timetables and in general, a Southern Region freight would have a number followed by a letter, whereas inter-regionals had two letters. If I can find a source, I will pass it on.

Incidentally, a previous poster said that red blinds on the rear of a loco were unnecessary when hauling a train when, in fact, they were "illegal" This is because a locomotive could be parted from its train without the signaller realising.

• 1 month later...

it would be nice to fudge some sort of roll of 'set' blinds say 4 showing 62, 89, blank whites and blank Reds and have a small wheel on the bottom of the loco to roll the set number desired? that way you can show more than one choice, it doesn't have to be just 4 pairs could be more. :rolleyes:

As for their use yes the they were used on the Mule '62' even up to the end in 1993... and if the weren't the roadshow would put in a request...

• 1 month later...

That's a good source for passenger workings but does not address freight headcodes. These were listed in the Freight Working Timetables and in general, a Southern Region freight would have a number followed by a letter, whereas inter-regionals had two letters. If I can find a source, I will pass it on.

I've found them but there are loads:

post-522-128213040368_thumb.jpg

post-522-128213052689_thumb.jpg

post-522-128213057026_thumb.jpg

Will send remaining pages next (wasn't sure if I could send all in one go).

Dave

Archived