class 33 train reporting codes/blinds ?

vac_basher

Here we go: these are the last two pages (from the 1st May 1972 to 6th May 1973 Freight Working Timetable).

Incidentally, as two character headcodes began to go out of favour, some keen drivers replaced the white blanks with their own initials and became "folk heros" amongst the Crompton fans.

post-522-128213125843_thumb.jpg

post-522-128213130709_thumb.jpg

Nice scans though i'd suggest putting a heavy book on top when doing the scanning to get them to lay flat and avoid the shadows and blurring. The codes settled on for the rest of the country certainly had less variety in the number letter combo but a full list of the last two numbers would probably be even longer than this!

Also with a bit of cropping and grayscale the filesize goes from 1.6mb to 389kb..

post-174-128213685035_thumb.jpg

Its interesting how your scanner has turned some of the table lines into spectrum ranges instead of pure black.

Thanks, Craig. I rarely use a scanner and had intended writing out the list until I saw how long it was.

I have just looked back to the original question and see that it referred to the late eighties, early nineties. I do not know when the two character codes were abandoned but they were certainly still in use in the mid eighties and probably until the 33s and 73s gave way to later designs.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi Mr W. Musketeer,

there should be a separate sheet included with the loco which has some examples of route codes plus red and white blinds,

i'm imagining u have bought the loco brand new?? the sheet should be there somewhere with the instructions, if it's not then go back to the shop u bought it from, they should be able to replace it as the loco should come with the blinds. if u have bought used/second hand then it may have gone awol which is annoying, don't know if Heljan do the codes as a spare? (Try Howes models)

Some people have made their own using computer programs on other threads. Fitting them is a pain in the ****, pop the body off, the centre windscreen pops out from the inside by using a bent paperclip. there is a small hole in the body between the light tubes for the blinds (which are very fragile and often require gluing into place) Cut the required code to fit and place over the light holes and press the windscreen back in. Job done.

Hope u find the code sheet

Mr S. Squirrel

• 1 month later...

Many thanks.

i brought as new and none in box so off down the model shop to ask.

regards

richard.

Have just acquired D6582 and no headcode sheet has been included. It seems that as factory now adds a headcode at the manufacturing stage, they don't feel the need to provide a sheet of alternatives.

Dave

• 6 years later...

Here is my Lima 33 as 33029 with the graphics based on the ones that Andy Y left on here for the codes.

gallery_16311_4151_163208.jpg

and next to its unfinished brother,

gallery_16311_4151_28432.jpg

and the rear,

gallery_16311_4151_11033.jpg

I used info from here for the font, (thanks to Ceptic)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74782-br-southern-region-diesel-electro-diesel-locomotive-headcodes/

Thanks for the info in these pages,

Stu.

(EDIT: lamp brackets to follow!!)

(and wipers, they are in the post!!)

Archived