DCC Decoder for layout lights

banburysaint

i have a nce system and us the nce switch it connected to there 2 relay unit to operate my layout lights

you could also use a normal dcc decoder join the two light out puts together and fit I low ohm polarized relay to it this is how I used to do it

john

Hi you have a few options but it is not cheap! so far I have used the train tech - lfx6. these are easy to use just 2 wired from the track and then a wire to each LED then 1 feed back programming is easy just press the button and put in the address on your controller and change the switch from open to close or the other way. these add up quickly in cost and they can work with computer  control, you also have  the digirail DR4018 I have not used it yet but it look easy to use but it need DCC in put and power input and you do need resisters with LEDs this work out much cheaper per output.  their are others out their but I not sure what else their is. the best people for advise on this subject is DCC supplier.  http://www.dccsupplies.com/

Richard

OK, several options are available.

Any of the slow motion drive accessory decoders will work.  # of LED's is dependant on the output.  (for instance, a DS44 is 20-40 mA/output, so up to 12 LED's could be run off a single output).  Or, if you are going to run a large set of lights, you could use the output to drive a slow motion item to run switches for the layout lighting...just keep 110/220V WELL away from any layout wiring...

Any engine decoders will work.  Again, the amp limits would apply (typically 1A or more).

Any snap type decoders can be made to work * (using relays, or electronic switching)

Other options are available...

The answer depends on 'how much' lighting you wish to control: For 'large' installations there are dedicated systems available from the likes of LDT - highly programmable to your needs and including effects like flourescent light flicker, or a space invader on the side of a tower block (as seen at Miniatur Wunderland 8-) ) ... although that size of installation is best regarded as 'independant' - it could still be linked through your DCC control by software or 'GPI' trigger on a chosen accessory.

The reason for mentioning that large capability first, is to ensure the total current / power demand of your controlled lighting is considered!

My layout - including lower-(storage} level) LED lighting (strips) has its own regulated 12Vdc bus from an energy-effiicent SMPS and takes upto 4 Amps in all.

SOME Accessory Decoders use a separate Power Supply - so as not to load the dcc bus / require uneccessary boosters: This can be the ideal way of controlling lighting, via DCC CONTROL, but with External, appropriate, Power (ac OR dc).   Eg: Bachmann/ESU SwitchPilot Accessory Decoder on Continuous Output, or with its Optional Add-On Relay Module [ DC output to accessories from SwitchPilot, even with an AC input].

SOME sections of my lighting ARE directly off my DCC busses: they act as a visual diagnostic that power is ON for THAT BUS ... eg Platform Lighting, A Street Light, Buffer Stops, etc.  Particularly convenient on removable sections, to minimise wiring links! 

With LEDS, and series resistor, and protective diode [against accidental or ac reverse voltage] , the current for each is typically just 5mA nowadays (or 20mA per 50mm of 12V LED strip)- greater efficiency can be obtained with LEDS in series, but this might mean more complex local wiring arrangements - for minimal energy saving.

Pre-made designs such as the Set of Flickering Station Gas Lamps mentioned may need a specific ac or dc supply - but in many cases, the 'ac'; statement is mentioned primarily as 'backwards compatibility' to the traditional use of '16Vac' accessory output, or even 3-rail ac as still used by some [ albeit most now digital stud-contact ac ] - including the implied peak voltage - but if LEDs, may be asuming half-wave rectification which compensates by halving power cinsumption.

Another indirect control approach which might be worth considering: is the use of DMX-lighting control - used for stage and disco lighting, etc it might be more cost effective on larger plans, but otherwise using 'spare' outputs of steady-state accessory decoders adjacent ot the required lighting is probably easiest and cheapest in the long run.

• 1 month later...

Archived