loco front coupling - wire loop instead of a Tension Lock

Hi folk, I would like to be able to couple stock to the front of my loco's, but without using the standard tension lock coupler.

I have seen photo's of a wire loop being used on some loco's - is there a recommended set height above the rail that I should aim for? Or is it more down to trial and error!

Occasionally, I would like to run tender first with some stock, but would prefer to do this without the ugly Tension Lock Coupler..... can it be done?

cheers... joe

• RMweb Gold

All our diesel locos on Abbotswood are fitted with wire loops - height set to the same as a standard tension lock

Works well - much less obtrusive and means you can retain the superdetailing - vac, steam heat pipes etc

PHil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, tidzaboy. I make much use of wire loops on my loco's, both steam and diesel. I've found that the height needs to be equal to that of the tension lock couplings to avoid the couplings over-riding one another. Also the 'loop' needs to be set out at the right distance from the buffer beam to avoid buffer locking.

I've just been beaten to the answer by Phil Bullock! Anyway, I hope that you succeed in using these loops.

All the best,

Market65.

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Sorry to resurrect this long dead topic,

im trying to improve my Bachmann 66s by wire loops, what thickness wire do people use please ?

0.5mm works for me.

Absolutely fine when hauling on a roundy-roundy, although it can under/override when pushing as it flexes - particularly with large/heavy trains.

This isn't too much of a problem if curves are gentle and the loco then pushes on the buffers, but sharper curves will cause buffer lock.

Thicker wire will flex less, but is more obtrusive.

Cheers,

Mick

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

0.5mm works for me.

Absolutely fine when hauling on a roundy-roundy, although it can under/override when pushing as it flexes - particularly with large/heavy trains.

This isn't too much of a problem if curves are gentle and the loco then pushes on the buffers, but sharper curves will cause buffer lock.

Thicker wire will flex less, but is more obtrusive.

Cheers,

Mick

I’ll order some - 0.5mm brass rod ok , or do you use something else ? Thanks 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’ll order some - 0.5mm brass rod ok , or do you use something else ? Thanks 

Brass wire can be a bit soft, but there are various grades that my be harder (wire v rod). 

My usual choice is nickel- silver

• Thanks 1