Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Controversially, I’d say because they know the up and coming demographic with cash is one that remembers that loco, rather than young spotters getting a froth on over the Malcolm jobby.

And who is to know what sells really other than large logo 37s...

Gosh you make me feel old, 20 years ago I used to say that about all the steam models coming out !

[Edit], Now I really feel old, as it was actually 30 years ago.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

28 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Controversially, I’d say because they know the up and coming demographic with cash is one that remembers that loco, rather than young spotters getting a froth on over the Malcolm jobby.

And who is to know what sells really other than large logo 37s...

Yeah I didn't even know that livery ever existed on a Class 90...but now I do.

• Agree 1

I’m sure I’ve got an old copy of Rail with the 4 celebrity 90’s lined up at a launch. They certainly were popular locos at the time. I think I only ever saw the old SNCF one at Edinburgh in a very faded and work worn look as it had the livery for a long time.

cheers

Mark

47 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Yeah I didn't even know that livery ever existed on a Class 90...but now I do.

Like this https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brelectric/e5b71f2c0 

Not the most imaginative of these continental liveries on the 90s. But then we didn't know that DB red would become familiar on our railway.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 22:23, classy52 said:

Genuine question but any idea why Bachmann would do a Belgian liveried Class 90 from the nineties as their latest Collector Club model?

Just seems like an odd choice or would there be a decent uptake on this?...would have thought a Malcolm Rail 90 would have been a hit and perhaps brought either more people or those who left back into the club.

Anyway good luck to them.

I think you'll have more than 504 takers on a Malcolm 90! 

Really all Bachmann have now in terms of ultra detail modern products (ie 2010s) to focus on for 2020 are:

57s

90s 

150s 

158s 

159s

170s

350s

450s

Mk2F

I think all others have been now taken by other manufacturers or reflect less than ultra detail (class 220/221). 

Surely this equals liveries galore in 2020??!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure i’d give 150158/159 as a long term modern class, my guess is they will be gone within a decade.

I think the future of the class 57/90 is somewhat subjective too... Mk2f are really on limited life.

I think he means what Bachmann have , of what is running , to a modern standard ?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

166's are missing from the above list.  GWR was slated and then pulled.   An open goal missed.

Damn, excellent thought! A re-tooled class 165/166 would do rather nicely - missed off my list as it is not ultra detail. Utterly utterly utterly hate them on Portsmouth-Cardiff turns, didn't really like them in Reading. But they are essential modern unit which Bachmann (used to) do. Or looking at how things have gone, did. Saying that, the 165s wings shall spread further on delivery of the 769s and take over diagrams out of Exeter. 

(you'll note, in my list I missed the 220/221 too, as though I must have 7 or so Virgin Voyagers - I do not consider them to a modern standard as they lack DCC - though the tooling is not too bad - to my eye).

As for the post about the 158/159 not lasting another 10 years / franchise cycle round...I think - actually I guarantee they shall out live the 220/221! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2019 at 16:21, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure i’d give 150/158/159 as a long term modern class, my guess is they will be gone within a decade.

I think the future of the class 57/90 is somewhat subjective too... Mk2f are really on limited life.

On what do you base this information, the leasing companies have just spent millions making the units PRM compliant and giving them a mid life overhaul (some had complete new roofs fitted) and you think they will be gone in 10 years!

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

On what do you base this information, the leasing companies have just spent millions making the units PRM compliant and giving them a mid life overhaul (some had complete new roofs fitted) and you think they will be gone in 10 years!

Its not info, its a guess... please re-read.

but factually the first 150 sprinter is already older than a pacer as it is, and in 2029 the first ones will be 44 years old... what makes you think Sprinters will go into 50 years plus ?..

not much passenger stock runs past 40 years old, government policy is to eradicate diesel technology, so expect inroads into this area much as PRM was the reason for scrapping 142,143,144,153,mk3,mk4,90,91,313,314,315,317, HST in 2019... with plans already being made for replacing 318,507,508,455 in the next few years... indeed some feel 220/1/2 & 180’s are living on borrowed time.

put it another way, in 2010 if someone had said class 91’s and mk4’s would be gone in a decade, and class 73’s would be working in Scotland i’d have expected a similar response to yours then too... but yet in 2014 the decision was made to replace them too.

combinations of hydrogen, battery, electric will make their mark in the next decade, irrespective of if a Sprinter has a new roof... fitting a PRM toilet to 144012 at £375k wasnt enough to have saved it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

but factually the first 150 sprinter is already older than a pacer as it is, and in 2029 the first ones will be 44 years old... what makes you think Sprinters will go into 50 years plus ?..

not much passenger stock runs past 40 years old, government policy is to eradicate diesel technology, so expect inroads into this area much as PRM was the reason for scrapping 142,143,144,153,mk3,mk4,90,91,313,314,315,317, HST in 2019... with plans already being made for replacing 318,507,508,455 in the next few years... indeed some feel 220/1/2 & 180’s are living on borrowed time.

put it another way, in 2010 if someone had said class 91’s and mk4’s would be gone in a decade, and class 73’s would be working in Scotland i’d have expected a similar response to yours then too... but yet in 2014 the decision was made to replace them too.

combinations of hydrogen, battery, electric will make their mark in the next decade, irrespective of if a Sprinter has a new roof... fitting a PRM toilet to 144012 at £375k wasnt enough to have saved it.

The £375k cost to turn 144012 PRM compliant was because it was the one and only. If the entire 23 fleet had been done, costs would have been reduced dramatically. Seats didn’t have to get changed for the ironing board ones. Lights didn’t have to get changed to LED spot lights. Overhead  Luggage racks did not have to get stripped out. Lift up disabled ramp built into step well never worked (finger trap danger) so could have been done away with. Toilet SOS button could have done with flap to cover it as toilet users press it thinking it opens the door despite the SOS sign. Most annoying announcements continue until it can be cancelled. If they had just done the PRM toilet, information screens + cab destination screen Trains FX system, costs would have been a lot more reasonable. They did an amazing job with 144012. If their was the political will, they could have had the refurb and continued for years to come. They are my favourite unit to drive. Good visibility. Good heaters. Simple and straightforward to rectify faults. 144012 was sat in platform 7 at Leeds this morning. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 66738 said:

The £375k cost to turn 144012 PRM compliant was because it was the one and only. If the entire 23 fleet had been done, costs would have been reduced dramatically. Seats didn’t have to get changed for the ironing board ones. Lights didn’t have to get changed to LED spot lights. Overhead  Luggage racks did not have to get stripped out. Lift up disabled ramp built into step well never worked (finger trap danger) so could have been done away with. Toilet SOS button could have done with flap to cover it as toilet users press it thinking it opens the door despite the SOS sign. Most annoying announcements continue until it can be cancelled. If they had just done the PRM toilet, information screens + cab destination screen Trains FX system, costs would have been a lot more reasonable. They did an amazing job with 144012. If their was the political will, they could have had the refurb and continued for years to come. They are my favourite unit to drive. Good visibility. Good heaters. Simple and straightforward to rectify faults. 144012 was sat in platform 7 at Leeds this morning. 

True, indeed there is a solution that could have kept pacers running for a few more years, and therefore no need for canceled trains... and indeed see pacers running as 6 car trains in service rather than just as scrap trains...giving extra capacity in addition to, rather than replaced by  195/331’s  

Whats more ....its free too..

https://free-printable-signs.com/no-public-restroom-sign/

soon the public will learn they might have new trains, but they really wanted was longer trains, replacing 2x 2 car 142 with a 2 or 3 car 195 isn’t an increase in “space” no matter which way you cut it...even considering 319 & 170’s its barely a like for like swap... overcrowding wont go away unless you build much more. Though this is nothing new.. Pacers were introduced as a solution to the same problem of overcrowding .. but they scrapped the first generation units thus maintaining the status quo of overcrowded trains of insufficient length in the 1990’s..

I haven't seen a 6 or 8 car Manchester Blackpool service since the early 1980’s when 101/4/5/8’s were still around.

1195_400.jpg

(url from Preston orgs website)

There seemed to be misguided belief that in getting rid of the old, overcrowding the new would see further investment.. it didnt happen then... lets see if it happens now.

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

True, indeed there is a solution that could have kept pacers running for a few more years, and therefore no need for canceled trains... and indeed see pacers running as 6 car trains in service rather than just as scrap trains...giving extra capacity in addition to, rather than replaced by  195/331’s  

Whats more ....its free too..

https://free-printable-signs.com/no-public-restroom-sign/

soon the public will learn they might have new trains, but they really wanted was longer trains, replacing 2x 2 car 142 with a 2 or 3 car 195 isn’t an increase in “space” no matter which way you cut it...even considering 319 & 170’s its barely a like for like swap... overcrowding wont go away unless you build much more. Though this is nothing new.. Pacers were introduced as a solution to the same problem of overcrowding .. but they scrapped the first generation units thus maintaining the status quo of overcrowded trains of insufficient length in the 1990’s..

I haven't seen a 6 or 8 car Manchester Blackpool service since the early 1980’s when 101/4/5/8’s were still around.

1195_400.jpg

(url from Preston orgs website)

There seemed to be misguided belief that in getting rid of the old, overcrowding the new would see further investment.. it didnt happen then... lets see if it happens now.

When in reality, most passengers really don’t care what train gets them to/from work. They just want it to run on time and have a seat. It’s politics that has seen the pacers be stood down, while services are short formed all over the place, with passengers rammed on a two car like sardines. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 66738 said:

When in reality, most passengers really don’t care what train gets them to/from work. They just want it to run on time and have a seat. 

On time and have a seat, yes definitely. But if I was thinking about leaving the car at home and changing to the train, I personally wouldn't think a bus on rails a sufficient incentive or improvement in comfort. Maybe that's just me though.

2 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

On time and have a seat, yes definitely. But if I was thinking about leaving the car at home and changing to the train, I personally wouldn't think a bus on rails a sufficient incentive or improvement in comfort. Maybe that's just me though.

If you want a good seat on a 195 then take a breezeblock, I've been on 3 so far and 2 of them failed, 1 even before it left the station

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think you're probably right, also diesel units dont tend to last as well as electric units when they get to 35+ years old - would mechanical spare parts be harder to find compared to simpler electric components possibly? 

if the majority of Class 150s are with Northern then with that franchise ending in 2025 then it wouldn't surprise me if there would be an announcement to replace them during the following franchise period so between 10-15 years time I dont think there would be many Sprinters left

There are plenty examples of significant sums of money getting wasted with limited lifespans - look at the Gatwick Express Junipers - purpose built and withdrawn 12 years later or the 30 Renatus Class 321s are getting a lot done on them only to be replaced by new stock

Has anyone with an overseas address tried ordering on the new Collectors' Club website? I get an error message regarding an incorrect postcode from the Sagepay system.

I tried contacting Bachmann via their website but that doesn't work either!

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 18:23, Matabiau said:

Has anyone with an overseas address tried ordering on the new Collectors' Club website? I get an error message regarding an incorrect postcode from the Sagepay system.

I tried contacting Bachmann via their website but that doesn't work either!

had the same thing when trying to renew membership, now the website offline for maintenance

7 hours ago, Philip Jackson said:

had the same thing when trying to renew membership, now the website offline for maintenance

I found that when the website changed a few months there was some sort of problem updating my records and my postcode had not been recognised as such, instead it appeared in the same entry as my town, much as it appears when handwritten. All I had to do was move the postcode into the postcode field and the problem was resolved.

• 4 weeks later...