Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

• RMweb Premium

I know this has been a long thread and have tried to read most of it thus apologies if I'm asking a question that has previously been answered.

Just want to know if the Bachmann Collectors Club WCR MK1 Pullman Coaches are suitable to be renumbered to any of the current coach stock that WCR have at the moment, I'm thinking of buying another set but not sure if they can be renumbered to match other WCR coaching stock so I can have a 4 rake instead of just the 2.

As I said already have the WCR Pullman coach set & 37706 and later this year 47245 when it is released from Bachmann which will make the set eventually.

Appreciate any assistance on this.

Cheers

Steve

This may help, but 99348 has since been repainted in full Pullman colours.......

Cheers,

Mick

This may help, but 99348 has since been repainted in full Pullman colours.......

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the info, this has confirmed my annoyance with this coach pack hence the question about buying another and re-numbering.

I will only model from 2012 onwards and have the Rail Guide books from 2012-2016 which I have been reviewing because as you have confirmed 99352 since 2012 has been in Pullman Umber & Cream livery and also named Amethyst but not in WCR livery which I had been racking my brain over trying to find out when it actually adorned the maroon colours.

Thus Bachmann in their infinite wisdom have combined in their WCR coach pack a pre-2012 Maroon liveried 99352 with a post-2012 WCR Maroon liveried 99347 which for me doesn't make any sense and like I said have found this quite annoying.

Basically the coach pack should have been 1x WCR Maroon 99347 and 1x Pullman Umber & Cream 99352 which would be an accurate representation of these 2 coaches from 2012 onwards which for me wasn't it Bachmann's selling point these were a current rake with the WCR 37706???

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Premium

This is what Bachmann said on the Collectors Club website on the product page.

"Our new coach pack makes the perfect accompaniment to the latest club locomotive with a twin pack of BR Mark1 Pullman coaches in West Coast Railways maroon livery. The BR Mark 1 Pullman coaches were built in 1961 by Metropolitan Cammell to operate predominantly on the East Coast mainline. Some vehicles were later de-classified and put into general service whilst others found use in charter rakes such as the Steam Locomotive Operators Association (SLOA) Pullman rake.

Many of the vehicles survive and remain in operation today both on preserved railways and with private charter companies including Parlour Seconds No. 99347 (ex Car No. 347) and 99352 (ex Car No. 352) which form part of the West Coast Railways fleet. Our models fit hand in hand with the Bachmann Collectors Club Class 37 No. 37706 (32-390K) which also carries West Coast Railways Maroon livery"

This is what Bachmann said on the Collectors Club website on the product page.

"Our new coach pack makes the perfect accompaniment to the latest club locomotive with a twin pack of BR Mark1 Pullman coaches in West Coast Railways maroon livery. The BR Mark 1 Pullman coaches were built in 1961 by Metropolitan Cammell to operate predominantly on the East Coast mainline. Some vehicles were later de-classified and put into general service whilst others found use in charter rakes such as the Steam Locomotive Operators Association (SLOA) Pullman rake.

Many of the vehicles survive and remain in operation today both on preserved railways and with private charter companies including Parlour Seconds No. 99347 (ex Car No. 347) and 99352 (ex Car No. 352) which form part of the West Coast Railways fleet. Our models fit hand in hand with the Bachmann Collectors Club Class 37 No. 37706 (32-390K) which also carries West Coast Railways Maroon livery"

Yes had seen that but doesn't really tell me anything apart from a bit of a history lesson, just wanted know if Bachmann were intentionally modeling the coach pack in current day to go with 37706 or they were neither here or there with accuracy?

The point is both coaches from 2012 are in WCR & Pullman livery thus different to the Bachmann representation, ok maybe I'm being a bit too pedantic but from where I'm standing I have a coach in pre-2012 livery & one in post-2012 livery which doesn't fit with my own 2012 to present modeling era...hopefully WCR re-paint 99352 back into maroon livery and take away the Amethyst name.

• RMweb Premium

From what Ive read, and from images Ive seen, WCRC are in the process of transforming all their Pullmans back into original colours. So I wouldn't hold out much hope for a return to maroon.

• RMweb Gold

From what Ive read, and from images Ive seen, WCRC are in the process of transforming all their Pullmans back into original colours. So I wouldn't hold out much hope for a return to maroon.

Never understood why WCRC painted the Pullmans maroon in the first place - notwithstanding the aesthetics I would have thought the Pullman brand is a marketing gift horse in mouth situation

Never understood why WCRC painted the Pullmans maroon in the first place - notwithstanding the aesthetics I would have thought the Pullman brand is a marketing gift horse in mouth situation

I want to make it clear I know absolutely nothing about these models.

However, it seems possible that WCRC did not have permission to use such a branding for a period of time. It would appear they now have suitable rights - possibly at cost. The same would go for the models themselves in either WCR maroon or their take on the Pullman trade marks. 

As to when the coaches altered liveries. Is this information available? Yes probably by trawling many photo web sites - some of which don't make it very clear if the posting date is related to the date the photo was taken or posted. But is there an easy site to know these records of such changes. I know of some but they are far from comprehensive. Another factor is that the running numbers have changed - the five figure numbers may still be carried but they are often quite obscure on these repaints. And I'm genuinely interested because I have realised that these fleets are transitional and have started occasionally making the trek (all of 8 minutes) to York station to record these trains. Which in itself is not very welcome by other photographers only interested in the motive power, and is very hurried as some trains pause very briefly.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conservedpreservedcoach Both coaches can be found in  this, but doesn't help on giving you the date you want.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

I want to make it clear I know absolutely nothing about these models.

However, it seems possible that WCRC did not have permission to use such a branding for a period of time. It would appear they now have suitable rights - possibly at cost. The same would go for the models themselves in either WCR maroon or their take on the Pullman trade marks. 

As to when the coaches altered liveries. Is this information available. Yes probably by trawling many photo web sites - some of which don't make it very clear if the posting date is related to the date the photo was taken0 t or posted. But is there an easy site to know these records of such changes. I know of some but they are far from comprehensive. Another factor is that the running numbers have changed - the five figure numbers may still be carried but they are often quite obscure on these repaints. And I'm genuinely interested because I have realised that these fleets are transitional and have started occasionally making the trek (all of 8 minutes) to York station to record these trains. Which in itself is not very welcome by other photographers only interested in the motive power, and is very hurried as some trains pause very briefly.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/conservedpreservedcoach Both coaches can be found in  this, but doesn't help on giving you the date you want.

Paul

I understand that the Pullman brand is still owned by BR Residuary, along with other ex-BR brands, such as named trains, e.g. The Master Cutler. Sometimes a payment is made (depending on the use), but I believe it's relatively modest.

• RMweb Premium

I understand that the Pullman brand is still owned by BR Residuary, along with other ex-BR brands, such as named trains, e.g. The Master Cutler. Sometimes a payment is made (depending on the use), but I believe it's relatively modest.

The BRB® was abolished in 2013 in the "bonfire of the quangos".

Since its functions were transferred to other departments (including the Highways Agency) I'd be curious to know how much money it saved.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A weathered 4MT for £159 isn't really for me, but some of the coaches look quite attractive now.

I was rather hoping for a Dinting era lined black coal tank., maybe another day.

That said the 4MT looks pretty good.. here's a picture of the real thing at end of steam, looks like they captured it pretty good...

http://svsfilm.com/nineelms/cat75075.jpg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photo link. I had wondered whether the chalk graffiti was fictitious as the collectors club mag didn't appear to go into too much detail about it.  However the photo demonstrates that its factually correct, which makes it a nice touch.

• RMweb Premium

Oddly I don't really like it, if it were the same loco with that tender etc in pristine condition I would have bought one on the spot!

Oddly I don't really like it, if it were the same loco with that tender etc in pristine condition I would have bought one on the spot!

Funnily enough I have one of the original 75075 in pristine condition that you desire that Bachmann made years ago. I will be replacing it with the collectors club version.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the date of the Collectors' Club day out to the Mid Hants Railway? I haven't received my club magazine yet and the website fails to mention this detail.

Thanks

Saturday 2nd September. Phone the club on 01455 841756 or email collectorsclub@Bachmann-europe.co.uk to reserve a place. Only 150 tickets available.

Ironically, I'll be in the area that weekend, but my partner would crucify me if I suggested I was going to spend a day on the railway :(

Went last year to the East Lancs day, and it was a great day out, despite the torrential rain we had all day.

• RMweb Premium

Saturday 2nd September. Phone the club on 01455 841756 or email collectorsclub@Bachmann-europe.co.uk to reserve a place. Only 150 tickets available.

Ironically, I'll be in the area that weekend, but my partner would crucify me if I suggested I was going to spend a day on the railway :(

Went last year to the East Lancs day, and it was a great day out, despite the torrential rain we had all day.

If my partner tried to stop me doing something there would be hell to pay! Edited by Hilux5972

Guest spet0114

Out of interest how long does stuff normally take to turn up from the collectors club?

Depends where you are and on what you mean by 'stuff'.

A model ordered from a UK address will usually be dispatched within one or two working days and arrive a day or so after.

Magazines can be a bit more variable, and there's usually a week or more between the first and last member getting theirs.

Overseas orders take longer.

Cheers

Adrian