Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, that close up slightly puts me off. Cynically I can’t help thinking the 13 rep 37s , are a quick “ lets use these tools “ before someone reboots the 37 , like maybe hattons.

And, yes, what’s the ribbed one ? Very long vac pipe ? Although I guess this went with refurb.

Now I look again, what the hell is up with those white lamp irons ? They are massive. My blue 47s have much better ones, a little plastic sprue attached to the plastic chassis .

Hope this is a production sample

There’s 23 Bachmann 37’s either available or planned at this time.

If anyone else is contemplating a 37 (or 47) I think it would futile, they would need to be better, cheaper and equally abundant to make an impact, and modellers would equally need to be so dissatisfied with the Bachmann ones, to part with them at inevitable great loss.

I think the Bachmann ones are safe for the foreseeable future..., neither model is bad and many people have many of them.

The class 20 and 55 however...might be ripe for picking, as a niche super detailed product.

Edited by adb968008

The red pipe is described as a steam heating pipe in the accessory bag so not needed for the up to date 47’s. What I do is using a small file smooth off the ribs on the black pipe part, touch up the red if needed and use as the correct air pipe which looks good once fitted. The orange plastic is also easy to paint with black Matt acrylic to finish off the jumper cables which look finer when done. Apart from this the supplied accessory bag on the 47 is really quite good.

Hope that’s of use.

Thanks

Mark

Yes I'd agree, and that's all very well, but why should we really need to do this on any model that costs almost £170............surely it should come with the correct/suitable pipes ready to fit ?  Likewise the BB pipes supplied with the 37 are pretty much useless, and the orange "blob" that's supposed to represent a MW connector is way over scale and badly requires a re-tool...............

If anyone else is contemplating a 37 (or 47) I think it would futile, they would need to be better, cheaper and equally abundant to make an impact, and modellers would equally need to be so dissatisfied with the Bachmann ones, to part with them at inevitable great loss.

I think the Bachmann ones are safe for the foreseeable future..., neither model is bad and many people have many of them.

The class 20 and 55 however...might be ripe for picking, as a niche super detailed product.

That's was said about the Bachmann 66 and look where we are now...a better, cheaper and will be equally abundant for the whole family to enjoy.

If Bachmann don't improve/re-tool their 37's & 47's then they'll go the same way and hope Hatton's or Realtrack are eyeing them up for the future and I have no qualms offloading my Bachmann ones like I have done with my 66's, provide me a better product and you'll have my business.

• RMweb Gold

That's was said about the Bachmann 66 and look where we are now...a better, cheaper and will be equally abundant for the whole family to enjoy.

If Bachmann don't improve/re-tool their 37's & 47's then they'll go the same way and hope Hatton's or Realtrack are eyeing them up for the future and I have no qualms offloading my Bachmann ones like I have done with my 66's, provide me a better product and you'll have my business.

The big difference between the 37/47 and the 66 is Bachmann only have a handful in the current range / last few years. Not 20+

But agree it’s a bit of a coup by Hattons to seize it, and at a lower price, and in such volumes. Additionally there’s nothing stopping Hattons turning trade and offering its tooling to the wider UK market of model shops for commissions in the future.

But right now with so many 37/47s on the shelves, first past the post rules apply..I for one won’t trade in my lot, having just bought them, at the prices they currently are... I suspect i’m not the only one... which makes it risky.

The ignored potential in my opinion is the class 31, but stick with the 20/55 as being more likely to be picked..both are older toolings. Personally I wish attention was put to AC EMUs/ other 1st gen DMUs (104/7/120/124), but I accept they are unlikely. With such modern image repitition it’s an easier choice to “do without” in the wider range of models available... I’ve no 66’s on order as I’ve enough, I’ve a full house of Bachmann 37/47s too, so it would need to be exceptional and cheap, which I doubt.

On that note i’ll be considering an EWS 47.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One point that is perhaps being overlooked is that Bachmann in its latest tranche of 37/47 is actively helping the retail trade in the form of its regional reps "specials" so we don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water,do we ? .Enthusiasm for the Mickleover MRC 37 too seems healthily high to judge from the very positive response from members of this forum.

Is this really the time for other players to throw their hats into the ring and speculate on the not inconsiderable investment and risk ?

Sure,Hattons are doing a 66 but they are an organisation with a secure financial base.Rails,another big hitter are disinclined to take that route.

Sure ,we'd all love to see an improvement but with production difficulty at source now being experienced and exchange rates uncertain,don't think quite yet.

It will interesting to see just how well or not all these 37's sell (almost 12,000 models) especially at current RRP's   -  market saturation comes to mind.....................

• RMweb Premium

It will interesting to see just how well or not all these 37's sell (almost 12,000 models) especially at current RRP's   -  market saturation comes to mind.....................

The truly 'exclusive' models will sell, e.g. MMRG sold out their full stock of Dunrobin Castle

The Rep editions, are not actually 'exclusive' in this age of the internet. I've pre-ordered Inverness TMD which actually is within my 'area', so I can support a local model shop. However, anyone can order these via the net no matter where they live, so it is these models that may end up being discounted.

The other issue is cost. I decided yesterday to order a 37 in Europhoenix livery and was surprised that I hadn't pre-ordered one on its announcement. Looking online, I remembered why. It is only coming as a sound fitted loco, with the resulting price premium. Something I'm not interested in or would prefer to fit myself. Hopefully there may be a few of these hitting eBay with the sound removed.

• RMweb Premium

The truly 'exclusive' models will sell, e.g. MMRG sold out their full stock of Dunrobin Castle

The Rep editions, are not actually 'exclusive' in this age of the internet. I've pre-ordered Inverness TMD which actually is within my 'area', so I can support a local model shop. However, anyone can order these via the net no matter where they live, so it is these models that may end up being discounted.

The other issue is cost. I decided yesterday to order a 37 in Europhoenix livery and was surprised that I hadn't pre-ordered one on its announcement. Looking online, I remembered why. It is only coming as a sound fitted loco, with the resulting price premium. Something I'm not interested in or would prefer to fit myself. Hopefully there may be a few of these hitting eBay with the sound removed.

I couldn't agree more especially with regards to the Europhoenix 37. Most retailers have it priced at around £213. For those of us who don't want a sound fitted loco or can't afford sound fitted locos this model really is out of my price range. Although if the same model without sound had been announced I would have had two most likely. One to keep as 884 and the other to renumber to 800. I think it's a shame about this one because how many people can justify ordering a sound fitted loco just because it's in a new livery that Bachmann or any other manufacturer haven't as yet produced? I'm sure that many more would buy this model as a standard DCC Ready model without the sound and thus the premium price/additional cost. 

I couldn't agree more especially with regards to the Europhoenix 37. Most retailers have it priced at around £213. For those of us who don't want a sound fitted loco or can't afford sound fitted locos this model really is out of my price range. Although if the same model without sound had been announced I would have had two most likely. One to keep as 884 and the other to renumber to 800. I think it's a shame about this one because how many people can justify ordering a sound fitted loco just because it's in a new livery that Bachmann or any other manufacturer haven't as yet produced? I'm sure that many more would buy this model as a standard DCC Ready model without the sound and thus the premium price/additional cost. 

If you could afford to purchase 2 Non sound models (if they were available) why not buy 1 Sound fitted model, remove the sound and sell the decoder/speaker on  simples...........

• RMweb Premium

If you could afford to purchase 2 Non sound models (if they were available) why not buy 1 Sound fitted model, remove the sound and sell the decoder/speaker on  simples...........

Thank you for the reply. 

Yes I see your point although I'm not sure if anyone would want to buy the Bachmann Sound Decoder seen as though so many people prefer other sound decoders. 

I could try it though, in the hope that someone would buy the sound decoder separately. 

Thank you for the help. 

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully there may be a few of these hitting eBay with the sound removed.

Never give up hope, but alas, I think it might be the other way around, with a lot of 37 chips hitting ebay, from people removing them.

(At least that’s what I plan to do).

Personally, I think the market is ripe for a much finer model of both Class 37 and Class 47.  Whilst its an individual choice - I don't quite agree with off-loading all old models.  Some can be quite useful and although the more modern version may have many refinements, when a train is running around  how much of it can really be appreciated.  Morewenstow Riverside and Tonbridge  Yard even use some Lima models!

Regarding a later post - why would Hattons want to supply as a trader, when they can supply modellers direct?  Offers no real benefit to them. 

Best Wishes,

C. 

• RMweb Gold

Regarding a later post - why would Hattons want to supply as a trader, when they can supply modellers direct? Offers no real benefit to them.

Hattons reaches the modeller, but it doesn’t reach the high street. I’d suspect there’s thousands of modellers out there, who have never heard of a Hattons, but still know their local retailer.

I’m sure they will ensure they’ve secured as much business as possible from their toolings, but once last a certain point, the value diminishes. The main suppliers do limited editions for select retailers, why wouldn’t Hattons consider it at that point ?

However the untapped high street remains untapped, a lesser margin from a depreciated tooling.. why not, every £1 is £1 regardless how or from whom it comes through the door, though I wouldn’t expect it until at least a few rounds of releases have been iterated for themselves, but it would be obtuse to say something is impossible in this industry...

Gaugemaster recently were selling Kernow’s releases afterall, so a precedent exists, and Hattons themselves passed over a limited edition 6000 to Steam Museum, before they suspended the OO gauge king project, so demonstrating past willing intent.

Edited by adb968008

Interesting viewpoints.

For me there is a point where the quality line crosses the price line in my head for all models.

The Bachmann 37 is ok, the bufferbeam detailing is poor and it’s a rather old tool now , in my head this corresponds to about £100-110 , no more. That’s the issue I have - it’s not worth what is being touted as rep ltd edition. The only one I’m interested in is the intercity one as I really couldn’t produce that scheme to the same standard as the factory.

After all , if I go visit a car garage, I expect a reduction for 2017 stock, even if it does come with metallic paint.....

I’m tempted to wait now and see if anybody else does a brand spanking 37/47. I also agree that the 31 is ripe for picking

The TDM fittings could have made finer, with Black cables, they did the same on the PP 47/7's.....the supplied pipework is also poor, what's that ribbed pipe supposed to represent ? 

Its a 2 min job to touch up the jumper cables with a black fine-liner pen to turn them black from orange. It also makes it a lot simpler and quicker than paint. Think the ribbed pipe might be air brake - but don't quote me on it.

• Like 1

It looks very smart indeed. Now for some trivia. As D1666 In march 1965 it was the first class 47 to be named carrying the nameplates ODIN. it carried them being renumbered 47081 then when fitted with electric train. Heat 47606. It was further renumbered to 47842 when fitted with long range fuel tanks in 1990 and lost the name then. In February 1993 it reverted to the 47606 number as it presumably had a defective or damaged long range fuel tank. In November 1993 it passed to res ownership and was renumbered to 47778 & had the long range fuel tank reinstated and had the rch cables fitted to the cab fronts. It was repainted in res livery and renamed irresistible. It was chosen by Ews as one of the 47s to have the reliability mods package which culminated in a repaint into EWS livery and a renaming as Duke of Edinburghs Award. A name carried by 47716 & 47727.it was stored in 2004 & cut up in 2006

• RMweb Gold

47606 was one of the last 47s me and my dad needed back in the 80s, always eluded us, one day he was helping my grandad do some work in his house just off the high street in Prestatyn and as I was getting under his feet he sent me off to the station to do some train spotting, I would have been about 10 years old, I returned about 15 minutes after he sent me out all excited having got to the station just as 47606 pulled in on an intercity service, it took my dad another 2 years or so to finally see it himself!

Still remember it clearly today, it was in the days when you could stand on the wooden bridge right above the exhaust and loco fans and get blown away when the train pulled out (and also probably get some sort of cancer from the exhaust fumes!)

I used to love footbridges like that. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the original Western Region namers as well. At least your dad caught it in the end. To my shame I never got 47550 back in the day. And by the time I could have got it it was stored at Heanor haulages yard and I thought it would always be there and that I would go get it one day. Of course it then got scrapped.

Its a 2 min job to touch up the jumper cables with a black fine-liner pen to turn them black from orange. It also makes it a lot simpler and quicker than paint. Think the ribbed pipe might be air brake - but don't quote me on it.

Yes I'd agree - been there done that  - but they could have been made a bit finer in the first place, even when black the cables are way too heavy.   Vacuum pipes are normally ribbed, air pipes being smooth rubber...... 

Mine turned up today. Looks great. Interestingly the etched plates have Kernow MRC on them.

There were a couple of models that Kernow seem to of cancelled mostly class 47's. Personally i think it was just wrong timing for them due to other exclusive liveries and working on models directly with a factory in china coming in around the same sort of time and as there is only so far a business could cope with to cover various projects some things most of been cancelled/ giving back to manufacturer and as such Bachmann have release them as Rep Editions and Collectors Club models.

Samuel.

While that might be true, I think it only is partly. Of the three, being Bachmanns 37, 47, 66, I think the 66 was the weakest. It was the one that had a good model done for its time, but was harder to upgrade to the many good standards found with dcc, especially dcc sound and lights. Even the lighting never really worked properly, with one white light out of three turned off for running. It was a good model and I have bought quite a few, but it was also a prime target for development.

However, when you look at the 47 and 37 - what else really can be done. Overall I think that they are very good representations of the prototype and lighting could be done if Bachmann managed a circuit board to take into account the latest settings, which really should have been done ages ago. There is no light bleed on these models like there was with the Vi-trains competition (which for the life of me I can never figure out getting similar reviews or beating Bachmanns in magazines). Its not like you need rotating axle boxes, but there are a few tooling differences that could be done. Still for the most part the Bachmann model is very good one to hold its own, especially when theres other targets that could be done to the standards of the forthcoming Hattons 66 and the Dapol 68. The only way would be to undercut Bachmann and with prices rising at their rate, you could question just how much of the ploy of limited edition runs commissioned by Bachmann is deliberately driving sales and making people pay the price that is being asked.

In that regard, Id expect a retool of Deltic, class 55 to be more likely.  

While that might be true, I think it only is partly. Of the three, being Bachmanns 37, 47, 66, I think the 66 was the weakest. It was the one that had a good model done for its time, but was harder to upgrade to the many good standards found with dcc, especially dcc sound and lights. Even the lighting never really worked properly, with one white light out of three turned off for running. It was a good model and I have bought quite a few, but it was also a prime target for development.

However, when you look at the 47 and 37 - what else really can be done. Overall I think that they are very good representations of the prototype and lighting could be done if Bachmann managed a circuit board to take into account the latest settings, which really should have been done ages ago. There is no light bleed on these models like there was with the Vi-trains competition (which for the life of me I can never figure out getting similar reviews or beating Bachmanns in magazines). Its not like you need rotating axle boxes, but there are a few tooling differences that could be done. Still for the most part the Bachmann model is very good one to hold its own, especially when theres other targets that could be done to the standards of the forthcoming Hattons 66 and the Dapol 68. The only way would be to undercut Bachmann and with prices rising at their rate, you could question just how much of the ploy of limited edition runs commissioned by Bachmann is deliberately driving sales and making people pay the price that is being asked.

In that regard, Id expect a retool of Deltic, class 55 to be more likely.  

Class 55 really??? Is the existing model really that bad that it could be hugely improved on like a similar step up between Bachmann Class 24 and SLW? The ride height might be tweaked a little, but train-set curves aren't going to go away so unless Bachmann increase the minimum radius they'll support there will always be compromises around that.

While iconic, it is only a class of 22 locos with a much more limited selection of liveries compared to the other classes listed there like 37, 47 and 66. I'd struggle to imagine much more than incremental improvements like improved lighting control perhaps for the Deltics. There would have to be better options for re-tooling