Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

Just a little musing regarding the Bachmann Collectors Club special editions and their relative popularity.

I’ve no idea how many members the BCC has and how many of those also members here but I would like know what people think before I put a suggestion directly to the BCC (assuming that they aren’t actually reading this).

A little while back Locomotion models/ NRM put forward a shortlist of models for the consideration of their customers which resulted in the production of the L&Y liveried 2-4-2T and a Royal class 47.

I was wondering about the possible wisdom of the Bachmann Collectors Club adopting a similar strategy thereby offering members a chance to influence the production of the club’s special editions. As with the NRM’s models, a shortlist of “special liveries” could be drawn from regular catalogue models that Bachmann are expecting to be in production and add the specials to that slot.

A system of “expression of interest/pre-order/priority purchase” or something along those lines could ensure that those who “voted” for particular releases were guaranteed a fair chance of obtain one upon release. Some offerings might even attract more than 500 interested customers.

I understand from the BRM interview that Bachmann aren’t keen on product development by committee but believe that involving club members in the choice of their specials wouldn’t be too much of a move in that direction.

It might give some added value to both the club and the brand whilst to some degree avoid the situation where some club specials hang around unsold much longer than others.

Clearly, there are currently more pressing production issues to be overcome and getting the timing right on such thing would be a bit tricky at present but hope that such an idea might be considered for the future.

Anyway, regardless of all this; I’m happy to be a club member and always look forward to receiving the excellent printed material and the occasional “Special”

RP  (BCC #14681)

• Like 3

I’ve no idea how many members the BCC has and how many of those also members here but I would like know what people think before I put a suggestion directly to the BCC (assuming that they aren’t actually reading this).

This thread is certainly evidence that a number of RMweb members are members of the Bachmann Collectors' Club. I'd say there are many of us, but have no idea how to quantify the overlap.

If you have ideas for a livery that might make a good collectors' club offering, the BCC certainly welcomes correspondence from members.

If you wanted to run a poll here to see what RMweb commentators agree with your idea before submitting it, that's something you could certainly do.

If you do, don't be surprised at the result, we're a fickle lot.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

Just a little musing regarding the Bachmann Collectors Club special editions and their relative popularity.

A little while back Locomotion models/ NRM put forward a shortlist of models for the consideration of their customers which resulted in the production of the L&Y liveried 2-4-2T and a Royal class 47.

I was wondering about the possible wisdom of the Bachmann Collectors Club adopting a similar strategy thereby offering members a chance to influence the production of the club’s special editions. As with the NRM’s models, a shortlist of “special liveries” could be drawn from regular catalogue models that Bachmann are expecting to be in production and add the specials to that slot.

A system of “expression of interest/pre-order/priority purchase” or something along those lines could ensure that those who “voted” for particular releases were guaranteed a fair chance of obtain one upon release. Some offerings might even attract more than 500 interested customers.

I understand from the BRM interview that Bachmann aren’t keen on product development by committee but believe that involving club members in the choice of their specials wouldn’t be too much of a move in that direction.

It might give some added value to both the club and the brand whilst to some degree avoid the situation where some club specials hang around unsold much longer than others.

Clearly, there are currently more pressing production issues to be overcome and getting the timing right on such thing would be a bit tricky at present but hope that such an idea might be considered for the future.

Anyway, regardless of all this; I’m happy to be a club member and always look forward to receiving the excellent printed material and the occasional “Special”

RP  (BCC #14681)

An excellent idea that I would fully support. I have been a member of the BCC for about 2 years now and will remain so as there quarterly publication is excellent, and the free catalogue and wagon (not to mention the equally excellent calendar!) make it superb value for money in my eyes. 

I did originally join with the draw of limited editions, but the only BCC LE I own was a second-hand purchase at show! Very little has grabbed me since, and fickleness is a huge part of that - I'm a modern image modeller, but the last 4 MI outlines limited editions haven't been my thing (two early, third rail and overhead electric ruling them all out!) and whilst I accept this is because I have a narrow interest, I do feel the choices seem to a bit obscure and hence haven't sold well! 

I do wonder however, based on previous discussions if the reason for this is because of Bachmann's production slots; i.e. the club get told what Bachmann are making and have to choose a "special livery" for something from that slot. In the case of a lot of new models this must be extremely difficult - the RFD 85 being a case in point! 

In a more general discussion I do think it's a shame that the general focus these days seems to be on new tooling models rather than re-liveries. With every new tooling model, the range of subjects becomes less and therefore new models are become more and more unusual, and yet there are items in the range that have vast numbers of livery options with only a handful catered for. Surely also there must be less time and expense spent producing re-liveries and therefore greater profit margin?!

Food for thought...

Bruce

I have a shocking number of BCC specials. When I first joined, there was only an odd locomotive, and I only bought the weathered class 08 (still a fine rendition of faded BR blue) but of late there have been a much increased flow of specials. I think I've had five locomotives and fourteen wagons not including the club wagons. They are usually of interesting prototypes or novelty wagons (such as their self-promoting wagon packs which I liked). Unfortunately the pressures of owning a house and needing a new car mean that I have to start the belt tightening this year. Also, having a large collection already puts me in the lucky position that I can be more picky.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to the BCC last year and told them as a modern image modeller I had been disappointed with the offerings for my era.

The reply was interesting, saying that the Royal Mail Luggage Van, the Royal Sleeper Coach and the Sealink Coach Pack were all aimed at my era, unfortunately I had to agree to disagree on that.

There's not been a modern image release for some time unless you class Era 8 as modern image, I did suggest many re-livery opportunities that I'm sure would be of general interest, pleasing a Class 70 in Colas will be a general release so that will keep the cost down.

They have promised offerings but IMHO not as yet delivered, however with a Class 90 imminent you never know a nice Club Model will no doubt be up for grabs altho' will not please everyone if you don't model Electric Locomotives.

Edited by martin_l_jones

I wrote to the BCC last year and told them as a modern image modeller I had been disappointed with the offerings for my era.

The reply was interesting, saying that the Royal Mail Luggage Van, the Royal Sleeper Coach and the Sealink Coach Pack were all aimed at my era, unfortunately I had to agree to disagree on that.

There's not been a modern image release for some time unless you class Era 8 as modern image, I did suggest many re-livery opportunities that I'm sure would be of general interest, pleasing a Class 70 in Colas will be a general release so that will keep the cost down.

They have promised offerings but IMHO not as yet delivered, however with a Class 90 imminent you never know a nice Club Model will no doubt be up for grabs altho' will not please everyone if you don't model Electric Locomotives.

I certainly read your post with interest. I would become a member of the Collector's Club again if there was more modern choices. I can think of a number of items which would not make it as a general run but would be a huge incentive to join again - such as a Wessex Trains 150/2 or a DRS Northern Belle 57/3. Anything as it was a very interesting club to be a member of! I shall look out for modern promised offerings :)

I wrote to the BCC last year and told them as a modern image modeller

I would become a member of the Collector's Club again if there was more modern choices. 

This begs the old "what is modern image?" question. Bachmann define "modern image" to encompass subjects in what they define as eras 4 - 9.

Are you specifically interested in the post-privatization, contemporary railway (era 9)?

'Modern Image' is a very vague term and often relates to anything diesel and electric rather than steam. It probably hasn't moved on in time period from the 1960s or 70s!

My interest would probably be classed as modern image too, but I model early 80s to mid 90s and I buy very few models of prototypes from the last 20 years!!

This begs the old "what is modern image?" question. Bachmann define "modern image" to encompass subjects in what they define as eras 4 - 9.

Are you specifically interested in the post-privatization, contemporary railway (era 9)?

'Modern Image' is a very vague term and often relates to anything diesel and electric rather than steam. It probably hasn't moved on in time period from the 1960s or 70s!

My interest would probably be classed as modern image too, but I model early 80s to mid 90s and I buy very few models of prototypes from the last 20 years!!

I would mean modern as 'on the rails today'. David Haarhaus was quoted in the media in saying he wanted Bachmann to offer the units of today. Made me excited! And I think we are starting to see this, but the Collectors Club could offer so so much more to make all types of modellers to join. Especially rare liveries like Wessex Trains 150/2 or GBRf London Underground 66/7

The age old debate of 'what is modern image' has long made me think that it is time that Bachmann added a few more eras to their era system. We must be well into what should be era 10 and even era 11. Actually, modern image is such a passé term. We must be well post-modern by now?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The age old debate of 'what is modern image' has long made me think that it is time that Bachmann added a few more eras to their era system. We must be well into what should be era 10 and even era 11. Actually, modern image is such a passé term. We must be well post-modern by now?

That is a quite excellent and acute observation.

• Like 1

Era 9 is running at 20 years now. The 'big four/grouping' period lasted only 25 years and for GWR modellers that encompassed three sub-era livery periods.

TOC liveries change at least as frequently.

At the danger of veering OT, the arrival of the all-red DB Schenker livery ought to have heralded in at least one new era. The problem seems to be that these eras were thought out from the point of view of 15 years ago and no-one has revisited them since.

There are many livery opportunities that are available for Bachmann to select from the loco's in the current catalogue which I have mentioned in my email.

GBRf have several interesting liveries, the tube maps on 66718 and 721, the Aggregates livery applied to 66711, the imported 66's in blue or grey....

The Colas 70 is now a standard release, which is good news.

How about a Class 37 or 57 in the new DRS livery.....

Perhaps it's just that they wont sell....

At the danger of veering OT, the arrival of the all-red DB Schenker livery ought to have heralded in at least one new era. The problem seems to be that these eras were thought out from the point of view of 15 years ago and no-one has revisited them since.

Its possibly difficult to draw a line anywhere of a significant change to the organisation of the railway as a whole to indicate a new 'era'. Franchises come and go, freight companies appear or change livery or ownership but other than Railtrack to Network Rail is there any other obvious large change to the whole railway

• 1 month later...

As the New Model from Bachmann thread has been locked, I'll have to put this here. In the photo of the Bachmann cabinet at DEMU that Nobby posted this morning there looks to be a yellow NR Class 150 - is that not a new model too?

As the New Model from Bachmann thread has been locked, I'll have to put this here. In the photo of the Bachmann cabinet at DEMU that Nobby posted this morning there looks to be a yellow NR Class 150 - is that not a new model too?

Collectors Club Model ?

Think I can help with that.... I often see Privitisation as having been into two periods, and arguably entering a third... (using the mainly north as its an area I know best)

Part 1 - Bachmann era 9 - GNER, Virgin Cross Country, Northern Spirit/Arriva Trains Northern, EWS, original GBRf, original Freightliner green. National Express Scotrail, Central Trains, Midland Mainline

Part 2 - Bachmann era 10 - National Express East Coast / East Coast (DOR), Arriva Cross Country, First Transpennine Express, Northern Rail, First GBRf, arrival of DB Schenker, Frightliner powerhaul, First Group Scotrail livery, East Midland Trains, 

Part 3 - Bachmann era 11 - Virgin Trains East Coast, New standard Scotrail livery, DRS 68s into use

The periods will overlap slightly pending on liveries and the various dates of specific franchises and I would think its similar to other areas that I have not included against like the South East, Anglia, or South West, which I dont know  as much as that around me up north. 

• Like 1

Also a shame that the PO wagon is labelled L&NERy. and as such is not really suitable for use with the GC 9J as they are claiming.

I think I will give in nevertheless.

You could always get hold of Bachmann's 37-162 8-plank fixed-end wagon "R. W. Hill & Son" to complete the trio. Incorrectly labelled as era 3, it has "Marylebone G. C. R." on its sides. At Invicta, currently £7·99.

Has anyone received their Bachmann Times? Apparently sent out on the 2nd June.

What is the new collectors club model? If you don't feel comfortable saying publicly, I would welcome a PM if it is a DRS or Northern Belle 57/3 or a Wessex Trains 150/2 or something equally modern.

I remember missing out on the DRS FNA as I didn't hear and by time I made enquiries to join the club they had sold out!

Thanks in advance

it was a red yellow herring! ;)

• Like 1

I remember missing out on the DRS FNA as I didn't hear and by time I made enquiries to join the club they had sold out!

Thanks in advance

There's currently a brand new one on eBay...not mine though!

HTH

Summer 2015 edition of the Bachmann Times arrived this morning. New Collectors Club models are:

1. 00 32-035K Class 20 no. 20172 'Redmire' in BR corporate blue applied by Thornaby depot. 460 certificated standard locos at £109.95 including free UK delivery. Due mid July
  2. 00 32-035 KDS Class 20 no 20172 'Redmire' in BR corporate blue applied by Thornaby depot. 150 certificated DCC sound fitted locos at £209.95 including free UK delivery. Due mid July
  3. 00 32-225K BR mark 1 BCK 'Pullman Colours' coach no 355. 504 pieces at £38.95+p&p available for immediate delivery (no certificate mentioned)
  4. N 374-080K BR mark 1 BCK 'Pullman Colours' coach no 355. 504 pieces at £28.95+p&p available for immediate delivery (no certificate mentioned)
Edited by Bont Y Gra