Terraced houses on an incline

I have Scalescenes small terraced houses download and want to build about 9 to 12 houses on a rising road going from baseboard level to 2 inch height over length of 20 ins.

Does anyone have any help they can give on how this can be achieved, because all my efforts (slope and houses) have come to nothing.

Thank goodness you can download the kit more than once.

Hi, Del,

As usual, J Ahern has a couple of solutions, viz.

post-106-0-59897800-1415350069.jpg

Copyright CV Russell and E Fells   
Reproduced with their kind permissions.

The small terraces are, from memory about 9" long, so only a pair will fit into your scheme as entire units. Steps up from the street level at one end connecting to a level pavement in front of the whole row of four would be prototypical and shouldn't prove too difficult.

Are you using the whole building or a half relief version?

Alternatively, for a smaller more manageable building, the link below is to a very easily choppable kit, the TO19 'Row of Cottages'...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81333-to-let-two-2-bedroomed-newly-renovated-centrally-heated-ex-farm-cottages/

Doug

I took these pics of Dewsbury Midland which showed stepped terrace houses, but one set of buildings surprised me.  Knowing the quality of Geoff Taylor's work, there must be a prototype somewhere, but the sloping roof line above a stepped terrace was a new one on me.  

Maybe because I'm a southern softie and not familiar with such detail 'oop north…:-)

post-6950-0-12502600-1415351995_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-34819400-1415351997_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-18379000-1415351998_thumb.jpg

You may have to figure out a way of extending the bottom of the model slightly so it can be planted into your slope. The lower end of the building will need to be extended more that the higher end due to the slope.

I think the thrust of this matter is 'how/where does one chop a 9" long model in half/quarters before sticking the bits back together in a stepped format', something I think you can only do with the model in front of you. The beautiful Dewsbury models show that you must make some pretty fundamental decisions very early on in the process, i.e.

'Does a chimney stack run flush with an end wall above a lower dwelling OR intrude into both dwellings OR become doubled in width to accommodate 4 pots instead of 2 in a more prototypical fashion..?'

'Do two neighbouring doors share the same pavement height OR does each dwelling 'split' at the door position?'

Above all, to avoid a 'camel', i.e. a horse designed by a committee' a prototype picture is almost essential, at least I need some real-world evidence for my bodge and plodge efforts.

P'raps a row of the little lock keeper's cottages. only about 5" long posed on the stepladder bases suggested by Ahern in the illustration above would be and easy way out?

As they can be built with a plain end at either end they are a better bet for a newcomer to the subject [with apologies if Del is a Grand master of Card modelling]

Doug

I took these pics of Dewsbury Midland which showed stepped terrace houses, but one set of buildings surprised me.  Knowing the quality of Geoff Taylor's work, there must be a prototype somewhere, but the sloping roof line above a stepped terrace was a new one on me.  

Maybe because I'm a southern softie and not familiar with such detail 'oop north…:-)

attachicon.gif2002_0317_094031AA.jpg

attachicon.gif2003_0412_152057AA.jpg

attachicon.gif2003_0412_152509AA.jpg

Sloping roofs on a terrace on a incline is very common around Burnley & Blackburn, when I seen them for real they do look strange.

I have Scalescenes small terraced houses download and want to build about 9 to 12 houses on a rising road going from baseboard level to 2 inch height over length of 20 ins.

Does anyone have any help they can give on how this can be achieved, because all my efforts (slope and houses) have come to nothing.

Thank goodness you can download the kit more than once.

This kit can be built as only a block of two, so you could build 4 blocks of two then just glue them together to suit your slope.

I know it can be built as blocks of two as the first time I built the kit I did it by mistake.

This kit can be built as only a block of two, so you could build 4 blocks of two then just glue them together to suit your slope.

I know it can be built as blocks of two as the first time I built the kit I did it by mistake.

Andy,

You are one of a kind! :)

Doug

Archived