Rothleigh

PeterBB

• RMweb Gold

Hahah I'm having a day off tomorrow, ahhaha

The beauty of being retired.

Or was that just plain TIRED, HAHA

Retirement ... had an appraisal today ... it appears that last year I thought that I would have retired by now.  Reorganisation is coming so perhaps, depending on 'politics' that will come later in 2015 but at present I am lucky to have a very rewarding job.

Hopefully this time I will be able to attach a picture of the said sign so ...

Cheers, Peter       post-12576-0-94479800-1419972949.jpeg 

Thanks Andy - its worked! P

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Thanks for the kind words.  Look forward to seeing you at Stafford - Andy and George T will also spend some time operating Deesdale Road.

Note:  Andy keeps on reminding me that an earlier photograph with a 'fiddle yard' section label is in fact a former layout - 'Fiddlers Yard' currently being incorporated into Rothleigh. It is causing some 'problems' in terms of the originally planned main line running so that may change - time will tell.

Peter

Duncan,

Thanks for the kind words.  Look forward to seeing you at Stafford - Andy and George T will also spend some time operating Deesdale Road.

Note:  Andy keeps on reminding me that an earlier photograph with a 'fiddle yard' section label is in fact a former layout - 'Fiddlers Yard' currently being incorporated into Rothleigh. It is causing some 'problems' in terms of the originally planned main line running so that may change - time will tell.

Peter

Evening Peter, To be honest, it was better as a free standing Exhibition Layout, that might be the way to go, rebuild that as it was and use it for Exhibitions as intended.

• Like 2

Evening Peter, To be honest, it was better as a free standing Exhibition Layout, that might be the way to go, rebuild that as it was and use it for Exhibitions as intended.

I can see Andy's reasoning behind this, but, it is your layout so the final decision is yours Peter

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Thanks for that - as you say it may be better in its original format.  I have some photographs of it then so may be able to put it back as was.  It will of course give me more freedom in terms of track laying on Rothleigh ...  be less 'cluttered' and therefore more enjoyable to run.

Cheers Peter

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well another year gone with no progress on Rothleigh.  As you will see from Fiddlers Yard I finally decided that to incorporate it would limit my own ideas so it was sold to someone (Graham Steward non RM) who has extended it considerably using it as the basis for his home layout.

2015 found many modifications to Deesdale Road, the most useful was to add a 2' section between the station and fiddle yard after which derailing problems were solved and it ran better than ever.

This morning I have had a look at Rothleigh's lack of progress and the lack of progress on Swad Lane.  The former's baseboards have become a 'dumping ground' for everything that was not wanted in the house.  In discussion with my son he made the comment 'Dad, you're old enough, why don't you just give up work and spend more time on your hobbies?'.  This will be a consideration for 2016 but ...  regular hours?  - something that in the whole of my working life I have never had.  Just thinking, I have worked shifts, ran a department that offered a 24 hour emergency service and have even taught first aid at work to night staff at night; enjoy singing and brass banding and of course spend as much time as possible with our granddaughter - modelling takes second place to the last mentioned!

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In a period of enforced absence from work I have at last had a look at Rothleigh.  

The Engine Shed is still a tip but I have managed to clear the surface where the long gone Fiddlers Yard resided to 'have a play'.    This area, opposite side to the station was intended to be a fiddle yard but having relatively recently visited Swithland Sidings I went back to the plan and thought that this would be better.  I had printed track but had plenty of stock around so thinking of Andy's planning decided to have a go with Swithland using track bits.  8 tracks wide gave little room on track 8 even for a large locomotive so it was then expanded.  I have a cattle pen and when I saw that on the original plans I had to see if that would fit.  I am now into 12 feet long with only 8 feet to play with and I need to be able to go round the corners to connect to the station and run round at the other end.  The pictures show, I think attempt 6, 7 but not sure how many times I modified it, where I think that I can fit it all in.  It is possible so it will become part of the overall layout, giving me an up and down main line plus shunting.  Scenic wise it may be limited but since that is my forte I am sure that I will conjure up something eventually. 

Now to think about new baseboards; where the track can best be 'cut' in a manner for minimum damage to alignment because I want to be able to lift out separate sections; the number and type of points required (the track plan has a 3-way at the Quorn end, my '66's hate them; wiring and control panel.  The good news is that I am motivated although some work is required on Deesdale before it's outing at our Mince Pie Weekend on 10th/11th December. 

Perhaps I might even retire to enable me to progress ...  Cheers, Peter

Edit - spelling only

post-12576-0-85996700-1479822804_thumb.jpeg

post-12576-0-05826100-1479822827_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 2

Peter, at 108 years of age :O , I think you ought to have a look at retiring mate. :no:  :no:

Glad your re-cooperating from your OPP and hope to see you at Club tonight.

You need to have a good look at those sidings, Less is often more for longer sidings.

See you tonight.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, just had a look at the postings and three things have caught my mind apart from the fact that the last post was 2016 but thankfully Deesdale Road and Swad Lane have kept me busy apart from necessary 'missed shows' because of GD duty which of course os always a pleasure.

1 - the 'final baseboard' as mentioned in the first posting - the latest edition was nearly completed last night.

2 - the 'enforced absence' had me wondering until an Andy P comment reminded me of the TURP op. - incidentally lads get checked out I have been much much better since the TURP.

3 - Swithland Sidings ... the 'new' baseboards ended up as 2 X 4'x2' because that's how long the boards were plus a modified formerly fixed 6' x 2' and an additional approx 1' x 2'.  So I had another go ...

a) the original plans had a three way point but decided not to use it as pushing wagons along the temporary track was not good

b) had built a canal in the 1' section so the sidings had to start after that ... and at great cost via Tutbury Models (I jest Barry was very helpful in the point supply sphere) actually had the number and type of points planned.  Thus an attempt to relay the sidings with a bit of licence (so pleased I called it Rothleigh and not Rothley) I was able to plan the entire 8 tracks within 8' which should allow me to bend the track round both ends.

c) before going off to Mountsorrel there is a double bridge and I only had one level ... so up comes the 6' board for modernisation which meant cutting the supporting side timbers right down.  I finally inserted a piece of 6 mm ply as the road base and then had to repair the new support because it broke at a knot.

d) in the latest Google Maps map, as opposed to the original GCR Mountsorrel plan, the line rejoins the up line just after the bridge.  This would enable a wider variety of running so I have now planned that in.

e) so pulled up all the temporary track but kept the points connected for later ease of fixing ... and then the general track ...

That will all have to wait because we are now on GD duty but the mojo is present once again so things will happen. 

Peter

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well guys have had a couple of goes at track laying!

From the black and white above tried fixing Swithland up as a 'fiddle yard', after all it has tracks of stock stored in real life, and decided that there was:

a) Not enough space

b) Having built bridges to go over the newly cut out road next to Swithmore Sidings (note no longer Swithland Sidings because of changes but still 'based' on them) because I actually had a look at the real road bridge and mine were just overpowering at the front of the layout and so totally different.  The canal, adjacent to the cattle dock, is also not on any railway plan.

post-12576-0-30835800-1528667749_thumb.jpg

c) To 'get it right' it would need points across baseboards - always a disaster so the plan needed modifying

d) Working it out I needed a number of new points since some of the ancient (stored decades ago) were not up to it so had to spend  -chose Tutbury Models to acquire where Barry was very helpful and also bought some fishplates and 'odds and sods' at the very good (Armitage) Midland Small Layout Showcase to enable me to complete the new plan.

Various versions were tried because I wanted to get the cattle dock in as part of the original sidings and I found that I had 10 tracks, no wonder I was still finding it difficult to fit appropriately and eventually ran a Hornby DC 08 along bits to see if it worked.  A number of points were changed from Left to Y and Y to Left and cattle dock (in picture below) became viable but other bits of track were 'strained'.  Some bits now too short and had to be replaced.  Eventually seemed 'right' so tried the DC 08 with a very old small wheeled transporter over the whole track as DC (ultimately will be DCC).  Wonder of wonders and with the ancient stored track being used it ran on all the track on the two 4' baseboards so took a picture and decided that that was it for this weekend, the first free for some considerable time.

post-12576-0-70248400-1528668841_thumb.jpg

Wonder when I will next be able to 'play' on the now Rothleigh (with Swithmore Sidings).

Peter

Edited by PeterBB

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

At last I have a (final?) track plan after many attempts.

It requires 28 points and I will rename the thread Rothleigh and Swithmore because while it is based on the original GCR plan Rule 1 has finally taken over because I think I can make the current one work well with Swithmore, bearing in mind the amount of stock currently stored on the 'original' will allow it to act as the fiddle yard.

Acquisition of the points and the control board will, if the time interval between blogging relates, take some time.  Anyway here's hoping I can add the plan - it said format was not allowed in the end so I photographed it and, hopefully it is present and the right way up!

post-12576-0-13983200-1535989856_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well guys, having posted on George T's Grundy Street I though I ought to put the information on my own thread.

Whilst not averse to soldering it takes me rather a long time and I had visited Dave Fenton's stand a few times at various exhibitions and thought it was a good system, even if a bit expensive.  You will notice that it takes me rather longer than someone like Andy P to produce a layout.  That having been said I have made two others this last twelve months, including a small N gauge layout to fit on a table when GD visits on which Thomas can run either in DC or DCC format because I have two N Thomas locos and for that matter a DC and a DCC OO Thomas as well.  SWMBO did not like the OO on the table because it kept being pushed off.

So back to the layout.  I have a map of part of the original GCR for the area and decided that I would base a fiddle yard on Swithland and make it part of the layout but Rule 1 applies so it is 'Swithmore'. Freeby packing paper enabled me to use PECO 100 point templates so I stuck these down on the said paper.

Unfortunately it will take some time before all track is laid ... 22/52 unavailable for modelling so far this year ...

Attached the 'point plan' for the 28 points divided into three sections (there is a red line dividing each with each point referenced) for shortest overall distances from the three servo controllers S1, S2, S3 with the wires connected.  Do not currently have a photograph of the lights but all the switches are connected to the points so show up the 'route' for each.

Having only tonight picked up George's thread I tried to remember names for those who commented ... I think tender referred to 'long distance' for the servo motors but they are are all remotely controlled and leads to the actual servos from the controllers are quite a bit shorter (fewer long leads from control board to individual points).  It was remarkably quick to connect all these leads compared to days of soldering for one or two other layouts.  Perhaps I should post the above on Rothleigh.

Power source PS101 13.8 volt regulated 12 volt supply up to 10 amps. Initial one was faulty, suppliers said they would have to send it back to Logic RC.  I contacted Logic RC direct, they asked me to send it to them, and they replaced it - excellent service.

Bob, a fellow club member made a jig for the 15mm x 15mm servo motors, screws and piano wire and knocked them up in no time.

post-12576-0-31106400-1541706777_thumb.j

post-12576-0-15214600-1541706864_thumb.j

Edit - Tried to add picture of 'paper plan and front of control panel but unable to do so at present.

Instead I have added the point plan with the Megapoints Multipanel and Expansion Board (needed the extra because of the number of points and with the control wiring in place but was unable to add a servo controller board to this post.  Once the servo motors are all up and working I will use ties to tidy up the wiring.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

9th December 2020

Well, had not realised that it was so long ago that I entered anything on this but having referred from Cadley Hill I realised that the mimic panel had not been added to this blog s here goes.  Much track was laid and run but I was unhappy on the area that would be bottom left of the picture - taken now that I have a mobile with a camera!  Also in the picture mid bottom right is one of the solenoid point motor supports made up by a club member on a jig.  They are a bit more fiddly to put in than PECO, Hornby etc. but one of the things they do do is hold contact to the rails.  The lights are either green/open or red/closed track.  The frame was made from 3" tongue and groove wood and hinged as shown in the earlier rear view pictures.  Power comes from regulated transformer 12v  from the right.The section between Rothleigh Station and the bridge on the left is a hinged section to allow access into the room.  The good news is that although irt is some years old when I moved it down tonight it still fitted in exactly in the right place but the hinges are big 5" brass.

Hope that helps.

Rothleigh And Swithmore Mimic Panel.jpg

Edited by PeterBB
Correction: mains power to 12v regulated
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well Guys a lot has happened since the last posting December 2020.  Only small parts of the track were finally laid and run - quite enjoyable but as stated somewhere else Cadley Hill came into being, the rest of the Engine Shed became a 'dump' for anything not wanted in the house and then lockdown.

Just before lockdown a decision was taken to modify the Coopers Dale and Marston club layout.  As restrictions eased a lot of time was spent working to effectively make it look like the upper and lower levels were 'continuous' as a branch comes down from the upper (DCC) to a platform on the lower (DC)  level but is in fact isolated from it while an upper branch and Upper Marston Station area was added.  A lot of time (SWMBO not happy with a move contemplated) has been spent on it and the hope that work will be completed by others of which JM has been great help and Dave C is a wizard with servos.  The really fun part was using bark for rocks - again kept for years hoping to use it one day and low and behold approx 5' X 6" to hide the fiddle yard on the Upper Marston (DCC) level. 

Rothleigh had been deserted in favour of this work and when a decision was taken to assist young son a move was needed that has led to a complete dismantling of Rothleigh so it is no more.  Fortunately  with relatively little running most of the track was very much saveable and there were some surprise findings of a few previously misplayed points.

Packing ... seems that I have a lot more stock than thought including some still in boxes and also came across some wagons that have been stored since the early 80s following a then family 'upheaval'.

So folks onto the next and this time I have been told that it can be 'in the house' but with a stipulation that all actual building work be carried out 'outside'.   Let us move first and plan perhaps something similar but who knows ...

It still leaves three other layouts around - Cadley Hill an E-E (OO), the Gun Box (N); and the 4' x 2'  R-R (N) built for GD but since found a year or two's service with a former member of the club who developed dementia.  His wife said it kept him occupied and when running it enabled her to get on with housework etc.  He is now in care.

Forgot - so 4 layouts around - Deesdale Road (OO) still around and available.  Had thought about complete point motor control instead of pull wires but found that baseboard structures make it impractical.  DR started off as a 4' board by Andy P, over the years has extended to 21' and  has given years of pleasure.  

Goodbye Rothleigh - sad to see you go but a number of happy years generally building and occasionally running will be remembered.

Edited by PeterBB
forgotten Deesdale added
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Well Guys a lot has happened since the last posting December 2020.  Only small parts of the track were finally laid and run - quite enjoyable but as stated somewhere else Cadley Hill came into being, the rest of the Engine Shed became a 'dump' for anything not wanted in the house and then lockdown.

Just before lockdown a decision was taken to modify the Coopers Dale and Marston club layout.  As restrictions eased a lot of time was spent working to effectively make it look like the upper and lower levels were 'continuous' as a branch comes down from the upper (DCC) to a platform on the lower (DC)  level but is in fact isolated from it while an upper branch and Upper Marston Station area was added.  A lot of time (SWMBO not happy with a move contemplated) has been spent on it and the hope that work will be completed by others of which JM has been great help and Dave C is a wizard with servos.  The really fun part was using bark for rocks - again kept for years hoping to use it one day and low and behold approx 5' X 6" to hide the fiddle yard on the Upper Marston (DCC) level. 

Rothleigh had been deserted in favour of this work and when a decision was taken to assist young son a move was needed that has led to a complete dismantling of Rothleigh so it is no more.  Fortunately  with relatively little running most of the track was very much saveable and there were some surprise findings of a few previously misplayed points.

Packing ... seems that I have a lot more stock than thought including some still in boxes and also came across some wagons that have been stored since the early 80s following a then family 'upheaval'.

So folks onto the next and this time I have been told that it can be 'in the house' but with a stipulation that all actual building work be carried out 'outside'.   Let us move first and plan perhaps something similar but who knows ...

It still leaves three other layouts around - Cadley Hill an E-E (OO), the Gun Box (N); and the 4' x 2'  R-R (N) built for GD but since found a year or two's service with a former member of the club who developed dementia.  His wife said it kept him occupied and when running it enabled her to get on with housework etc.  He is now in care.

Forgot - so 4 layouts around - Deesdale Road (OO) still around and available.  Had thought about complete point motor control instead of pull wires but found that baseboard structures make it impractical.  DR started off as a 4' board by Andy P, over the years has extended to 21' and  has given years of pleasure.  

Goodbye Rothleigh - sad to see you go but a number of happy years generally building and occasionally running will be remembered.

Well I hope the House move goes well Peter, and sad to here about Mike, now in care, but probably for the best for both him and Erwin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Their have been rather more hitches than hoped but all going well the move is imminent.  It is both a relief and a pain for Eirwen as Mike no longer recognises his son nor herself most of the time but she says he seems happy in himself.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well guys - now settled in new abode and finally getting round to building a layout.  Attached photgraph shows baseboards.  16'6" of former boards reused plus 2 5'x 2'6" donated by club member.  The reliability of the 5" brass hinges determined that they would be reusedand some 'supports' of 3" x 3" wood used to control the open movement. together with the metal 'right angles' to ensure exact closure.  On the left 15'x 2'  wit\h 6'6" at ends and the right side 13'6" to allow access round the staircase.  Underneath at present stored is Deesdale Road and opposite re-purposed shelving currently holding over 250 boxes of 'bits and pieces' in 'take-away containers - what do we aquire over the years!  With recycling from 'building work' that was not allowed to go into the skip the only current expense has been the 6mm ply to smarten up the vista from the stairs but the scenic supports at the rear are for 9mm - forgot that when ordering  as the original idea was to use the cut-offs for the back scene.

Still focused on Rothley and Swithland measured and made a station platform to fit the -years boxed - Bachmann buildings and looked to fit the previous track plan on it ... but with much less baseboard this is not possible.  At present trying to think Rule 1 but still thinking GCR as a guide that may need the station to be shortened to cope with necessary track curves and with Grandchildren running in mind. Have cut/printed paper strips as have been unable to make any software track website useable †hat have been relocated many many times to date ... final track plan coud be ages away.

In mind too are buildings that have been in boxes since 1975 - SWMBO says get rid so in time, this probably being my last build those not needed will be donated if good enough or of course scrapped.

If interested that's where we are folks.

IMG_4294.jpeg

• Like 2