New Production Corridor Teaks

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Hornby have recently released a new batch of Gresley Corridor teak coaches, preumably from new manufacturer.

Has anybody seen any in the flesh as the pictures on their website suggest a slightly different finish to the R417X series?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Hornby have recently released a new batch of Gresley Corridor teak coaches, preumably from new manufacturer.

Has anybody seen any in the flesh as the pictures on their website suggest a slightly different finish to the R417X series?

Cheers

Keith

I believe that they have not been received with enthusiasm,on this forum at least.

Hi all

Cheers

Keith

I have just looked on Hornby's website at the Gresley corridor coaches and the teak finish looks abysmal. More so in comparison to the excellent finish achieved on earlier batches, but maybe Hornby feels it is not viable spending good money putting a good finish on these particular models. Shame as I was going to buy a couple to save doing a spot of painting. Interesting though that they are for the early BR period.......Is this a first?

Question (I have not seen them in the flesh). Is the finish not comparable to the Rare Bird and 1948 Olympic coaches? These were darker than the LNER ones (presumably to reprasent layers of varnish added during the war)? Or is it a case of quality of teak graining etc?

The acid test will be pictures of new and old side by side.

• RMweb Premium

I saw them in Hamley's last week.  They look a little darker than earlier coaches, but I didn't think the teak looked bad.  However at £50 a pop, they're not cheap. 

They are IIRC around £10+ cheaper than the last RRP of the previous lot.

The Sleeper R4174C was £61.99, now reduced by Hornby to £37.99!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Interesting though that they are for the early BR period.......Is this a first?

Hadn't spotted that, thanks for pointing it out. Maybe the finish in 1948 was not so good as pre-war?

They did as G-BOAF pointed out do BR period teaks for the two sets.

Keith

There are two things that you have to factor into this.

Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.

2npoint, and one I have raised elsewhere... Unless your looking at the images on a colour calibrated monitor you can't really determine fully whether they are right or wrong.

So, the In The Flesh option is really the only way you will ever be able to tell. But from my own perspective, I do need a few more for the garden and have no issue in getting a few of these. They look fine to me.

There are two things that you have to factor into this.

Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.

2npoint, and one I have raised elsewhere... Unless your looking at the images on a colour calibrated monitor you can't really determine fully whether they are right or wrong.

So, the In The Flesh option is really the only way you will ever be able to tell. But from my own perspective, I do need a few more for the garden and have no issue in getting a few of these. They look fine to me.

Looking at the latest teak corridor coaches and comparing them with images of earlier corridors and the currently available non-corridors, it is now courser and lacks the finesse of the earlier graining and panelling. Images sell the products and in the absence of images posted by members, I'm holding back.

• RMweb Premium

Unless your looking at the images on a colour calibrated monitor you can't really determine fully whether they are right or wrong.

If you are looking at an image that contains both production runs (Hornby web shop images) the monitor is not going to make much difference, we are comparing a known finish to a unknown side by side.

IMHO you are more likely to get colour discrepancies with the original photography.

And yes I could check the colour calibration of my monitor as I have some standard Pantone samples, I have done it the past and the displays (All LCD) were pretty close

Keith

found a picture via ebay

Certainly different. Less 'yellow', but I wouldn't say the printing is any coarser, just the actual designs that have been used in this instance. The 'yellow' honey coloured tones are still there, just in smaller quantites.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzE4WDE2MDA=/z/otYAAOSwfcVUKr~C/$_57.JPG

This said, I'm now tempted to snap up a Sanda Kan coach while I still can!

• RMweb Premium

found a picture via ebay

Certainly different. Less 'yellow', but I wouldn't say the printing is any coarser, just the actual designs that have been used in this instance. The 'yellow' honey coloured tones are still there, just in smaller quantites.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzE4WDE2MDA=/z/otYAAOSwfcVUKr~C/$_57.JPG

This said, I'm now tempted to snap up a Sanda Kan coach while I still can!

Or you could look at the Hornby image:

http://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/4/r4600-Hornby-br-teak.jpg

Compared to this:

http://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/4/r4174_1_.jpg

BTW Why buy it on e-bay with postage when you can get it from Hornby post free?

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Or you could look at the Hornby image:

http://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/4/r4600-Hornby-br-teak.jpg

Compared to this:

http://www.Hornby.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/4/r4174_1_.jpg

BTW Why buy it on e-bay with postage when you can get it from Hornby post free?

Keith

I've just had a look at the above Hornby images and have noted the big difference in finish and can appreciate the various comments.

Looking at them made me decide to have a look at Dad's old black and white photos of teak stock, taken around the dawn of BR.  There are only 2 images out of well over 100 on which I can really see any grain at all, most coaches were not very clean and clearly had not recently been varnished.   One of the two on which I can see the grain is ex works, as it has a pristine (almost) white roof.

Then I had a look at books containing photos in colour of teak coaches in LNER and early BR days.  There aren't many photos!   Again, on a photo at around 4mm scale the grain is barely visible, it is just about possible to make out which panels have vertical grain and which have horizontal.  What I did find is the huge variation in the shade of "teak" colour, within each photo, from a pale yellow brown to a very dark brown.  As the variation can be seen between coaches in the same photo it is not film differences.

I think that, to my eyes, compared to photos (and even preserved coaches) the graining on both batches of Hornby coaches is a bit prominent.  

Remember too that preserved teak stock is (generally) kept well varnished, and is kept much cleaner than it was in early BR days which is what the new batch of coaches is meant to represent.

David

Edited for spelling.

David

• RMweb Premium

There is a colour picture in LNER 150 showing 2509 in front of a teak coach, dated 1937.

Admittedly the picture quality is not brilliant but the coach looks grubby and the colour variations seem to be mostly vertical, not horizontal!

Another picture taken in 1938 shows a B3/2 no 6166 in charge of teak stock and the colour variations on one coach seem more than that between the two Hornby's

In Historic Carriage Drawings (Volume 1 LNER) all the 'photos are B/W and in several it is dificult to discern the grain effect at all, again especially in those that had seem some service, there is overall colour variations from panel to panel

Keith

Hornby have made the big  mistake of treating the panels as one large piece of wood i.e they have the graining the same on two panel above each other. The Teak was different in every panel as where the shades of wood used.

Very poor offering either due to cheap printing method  or bad research by the current factory or for both of those reasons.

The two Hornby pictures are clearly different tones. The black of the bogies and underframes are not the same, therefore you can't compare the rest of the colouring. However there MIGHT be a difference in colour of base plastic used.

As for pattern repitition, each 'panel' is one piece of wood, the panel above has a similar grain, as would be expected if they were from two adjacent cuts of one log. This is, I believe, what the LNER tried to do, matching the grain along an entire coach.

However I agree that the grain pattern does appear thicker on these new releases. Whether this is by design of production limitations we don't know. It is mean to reprasent wood. If a coach was built from part of a bottom of a tree, there is every chance that large wide rings might be visible....

My suspicion is that this change is related to moving to a new factory that uses different (perhaps lower quality?) tampo printing machines than Kader Manufacturing Services/Sanda Kan had.

Does anyone know what factory code is on the boxes for these coaches?

We could add them to the list here.

• RMweb Premium

Bad form I know, but if/when used for 'conversions' and painted maroon then I'll still be happy. The water filler pipes can get a bashing during that exercise, as I well know, but the sides come off so the handles get either lost or recycled as they are quite good little parts. I have yet to complete one I am being assisted with as a first effort. That is an interesting coach that might appear somewhere on hear in the near future and it will not end up as a ER coach.

However, if you run LNER then I can see what the problems are; great shame really as they are quite nice products IMO

P

Archived