New Production Corridor Teaks

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Managed to find two new teaks ex "Rare Bird" set at Warley for £24.50 each.

I wonder whether they will "backdate" easily?

A chap on another stand had a few surplus new R417X series and wanted £65 each (ouch!)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I've tried a few bids on ebay but they are really getting silly now.

The latest used R4172 I tried for went for £51.89. :scratchhead:

I was bidding against one another person up to £35 then a new bidder came in and added £15.89 (?) and it was topped by another new bidder to win it.

I'm not trying again!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered another teak coach off the Hornby website. Did anyone take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer on Teaks at Warley I wonder?

I certainly say a few with 5 teaks in a bag which was a £125 deal at the Locomotion stand. I guess if Hornby are trying to shift them at this sort of discount then there are some concerns that they may not shift at all at full retail?

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered another teak coach off the Hornby website. Did anyone take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer on Teaks at Warley I wonder?

Larry.Why don't you give Locomotion a ring if you want more.? Ask for Sandra,though as she's been at the Warley Show,unlikely she'll be there today but you never know. I also had twofer.

Larry.Why don't you give Locomotion a ring if you want more.? Ask for Sandra,though as she's been at the Warley Show,unlikely she'll be there today but you never know. I also had twofer.

Good idea. I assumed the offer was a carrot to attend Warley.... I need another all third and a Buffet.

I picked-up a couple, yes - a brake composite and an all third - the ladies on the stand were very obliging in exchanging the latter for me without quibble when I realised after moving off that I'd initially picked-up an all first in error.

Looking closely at them just now, I'd agree that the main issue seems to be that the "scale" of the grain is too large.  This results in yellowish 'swirls' either side of the beading on the lower sides, which is a little odd when looked at hard.  However, the rest of the coach still has that almost carved out of solid wood look to me - and these will be the only teaks I need to buy (I wanted them with the "E" number prefix so as to represent the early 50's and give some variety to a 'blood and custard' rake behind a blue A3), so they won't get direct comparison with any others in the allegedly superior earlier finish.  I think I can live with  it anyway...

My initial purchase has grown on me. By picking out the beading, it has taken the eye away from the grain and the coach has a more natural weathered wood appearance for some reason. It will be joined by a few brothers soon. I was happy painting grained teak livery a couple of years back but my graining brush is a bit raggy now and I simply do not have the patience for such a job anymore.

My initial purchase has grown on me. By picking out the beading, it has taken the eye away from the grain and the coach has a more natural weathered wood appearance for some reason. It will be joined by a few brothers soon. I was happy painting grained teak livery a couple of years back but my graining brush is a bit raggy now and I simply do not have the patience for such a job anymore.

Hi Larry - could you please clarify what you meant by "picking out the beading"?  Are you speaking of something like the 'dry-brushing' technique here?

Many thanks.

Hi Larry - could you please clarify what you meant by "picking out the beading"?  Are you speaking of something like the 'dry-brushing' technique here?

Many thanks.

No problem. I picked it out by ruling fine lines in stone colour along the top of the raised beading.

Much obliged, Larry.

Blast - there was a chap at Warley selling a rather nifty lining device of a type I hadn't seen before, that would have been just the job for that ... I toyed with the idea, but £35 for the full set that included a selection of different-sized 'nibs' seemed just a bit high for something that, on past form, I thought I wouldn't have very much practical need for.  And I can't recall the name of the business now.  Just goes to show - "do it now; the chance may not come again!"

The glue is 'lighter' than previously and it is a simple matter to remove the glazing without damage to either the glazing or body. This means these coaches could be resprayed blood & custard. Why would anyone want to? Well, because these coaches have the correctly spaced beading below the waist, although they will likely come out in this livery in due course. The current BR maroon coaches also have the revised beading....

post-6680-0-96411800-1417197617.jpg

I sanded the inside smooth so that the glazing will seat back properly when being put back.....

post-6680-0-56507100-1417197619.jpg

• 4 months later...

These coaches are still available from Locomotion for £25 each.

Sandra who served me on Locomotion's stand at York yesterday said they were available via the website but I couldn't find them yesterday evening. If you want some, try giving the museum shop a call, they have all 5 versions in stock.

I was told that the venture capitalists now running Hornby were determined to recoup their investment and were now producing teak coaches without the expenditure involved with multiple runs through the tampo machines.

• RMweb Premium

These coaches are still available from Locomotion for £25 each.

Sandra who served me on Locomotion's stand at York yesterday said they were available via the website but I couldn't find them yesterday evening. If you want some, try giving the museum shop a call, they have all 5 versions in stock.

I was told that the venture capitalists now running Hornby were determined to recoup their investment and were now producing teak coaches without the expenditure involved with multiple runs through the tampo machines.

If they could produce them for £25 in BR maroon, I might be tempted......  :imsohappy:

If they could produce them for £25 in BR maroon, I might be tempted......  :imsohappy:

The Hornby website is always worth a look-in. The BR maroon Gresley corridor coaches were £29.99 a few weeks ago. Only the Buffet Car and Corridor brake composite are shown this morning. 

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby website is always worth a look-in. The BR maroon Gresley corridor coaches were £29.99 a few weeks ago. Only the Buffet Car and Corridor brake composite are shown this morning. 

Hi Larry

I notice your comment about the beading being corrected/moved on later batches of Hornby coaches.

I have some of the earlier ones and there is a difference between them. The Brake compo has lower central beading line as does the buffet (and IIRC full brake)

Were only some produced with the higher beading or were corrections applied as they were moving through the types?

Mind you looking through Michael Harris and Nick Campling's books they look, to my eye, to vary in the flesh anyway!

Cheers

Keith

Hi Larry

I notice your comment about the beading being corrected/moved on later batches of Hornby coaches.

I have some of the earlier ones and there is a difference between them. The Brake compo has lower central beading line as does the buffet (and IIRC full brake)

Were only some produced with the higher beading or were corrections applied as they were moving through the types?

When introduced sometime around 7 years ago, they all had incorrect lower beading. The non-corridor Gresley's that followed later on were introduced with correct beading and tumblehome. The Gresley corridor full brake had corrected beading but the first time i saw it on the other corridor coaches was when I bought some teaks with BR markings from Shildon NRM. I have since purchased BR maroon ones from the Hornby website and they too were correct as far as beading goes.

When introduced sometime around 7 years ago, they all had incorrect lower beading. The non-corridor Gresley's that followed later on were introduced with correct beading and tumblehome. The Gresley corridor full brake had corrected beading but the first time i saw it on the other corridor coaches was when I bought some teaks with BR markings from Shildon NRM. I have since purchased BR maroon ones from the Hornby website and they too were correct as far as beading goes.

Coachman, I've been comparing your photos of the new BR teaks with R4170E (LNER teak).

I can't tell any difference in the beading.

I'm sure it will be obvious when it's pointed out.

Has anyone got a good side by side comparison?

Mike70

• RMweb Premium

I just checked some of mine. Most of the different letter versions I have are the old incorrect higher beading.

However, R4170E has the lower more correct beading as far as I can tell. 

I believe that one was released with R4171C, R4172D, R4173D, R4174C.

So if Hornby changed all the tooling at the same time at least those ones would also likely have the correct lower beading.

Amongst the BR teak versions, I think the Olympic ones also have the lower beading while the rare bird ones were earlier production and hence higher.

If anyone needs to know I can find mine and check.

Tom

I just checked some of mine. Most of the different letter versions I have are the old incorrect higher beading.

However, R4170E has the lower more correct beading as far as I can tell. 

I believe that one was released with R4171C, R4172D, R4173D, R4174C.

So if Hornby changed all the tooling at the same time at least those ones would also likely have the correct lower beading.

Amongst the BR teak versions, I think the Olympic ones also have the lower beading while the rare bird ones were earlier production and hence higher.

If anyone needs to know I can find mine and check.

Thanks Dominion, I think I can see the difference now.

I've got the Northumbrian coaches. Looks like they are all old tooling too.

Archived