N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We'd like to thank all those that voted for their preferred Pendolinos.  The majority of our customers did register their votes, so the counting process has taken a little longer than we'd anticipated, but here are the results.  However, there are a couple of caveats which are explained below.

9-car:

390001 Virgin Pioneer

390005 City of Wolverhampton

390006 Tate Liverpool

390045 101 Squadron

11-car:

390104 Alstom Pendolino (Alstom livery)

390114 City of Manchester

390122 Penny the Pendolino

390138 City of London

390151 Virgin Ambassador (Business is Great Britain livery)

Plus, of course, 390103 Virgin Hero (Poppy Pendolino)

We had originally expected to offer 5 9-car and 5-11-car, however not only do we have more orders for 11-car trains, but also the 4-car selections are heavily skewed towards 390001 and 390045, while the 11-car voting was more evently spread out.  This means that the 5th choice 9-car set had far far fewer votes than the 6th choice 11-car set. The split is also complicated by the fact that the Poppy Pendolino could almost be considered a separate item on its own, meaning we could argue the split is more like a 5 for 11 and 4 for 9 car.

There were also a couple of almost-ties, in which case we have tried to select variety (eg offering City of London instead of City of Liverpool, as Tate Liverpool had already made the cut)

As soon as possbile we will update our website to reflect these options, and would ask all our customers over the coming days to go and make their final selections.

I am absolutely certain that our selections will not please everyone, but hopefully they offer a reasonable spread of interesting colour schemes, geographically diverse cities and notable identities.  And, of course, they were selected by our customers, which as far as I am aware is a first for any mass market range of new models.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 12

Hello all,

We'd like to thank all those that voted for their preferred Pendolinos. 

[. . .]

I am absolutely certain that our selections will not please everyone, but hopefully they offer a reasonable spread of interesting colour schemes, geographically diverse cities and notable identities.  And, of course, they were selected by our customers, which as far as I am aware is a first for any mass market range of new models.

cheers

Ben A.

Very sensibly done, reasonable and well explained . . . but we know there'll be complaints!   :rtfm:  :jester:

Edited by BR(S)

Guest eddie reffin

Excellent, both my preferred choices are making the cut! Really looking forward to next year and them arriving. Hopefully this will spur on a few more Modern N layouts, I certainly have been and this can only be good.

What we need next is a good quality 92 to fill the missing gap in WCML traction. Not wanting to start an argument about how electrics don't sell, well I think the 390 has proved otherwise. Besides, the 92s were capable of 3rd rail operation too so not everyone will need the wires.

Guest eddie reffin

CJM make the 92 already in N. Expensive but absolutely beautiful model.

David

I agree it's beautiful but surely it is not out the realms of possibility that one of the mainstream folks could do one at a more realistic price. Especially when you consider we are getting a 9 coach full train for £300! Don't think the standard of the 390 will be too far away from the CJM 92

• RMweb Gold

It looks too basic for today's standards, no headlights, wrong pantograph, gritty paint finish and a very unrealistic price. Can get much more with that amount of money.

You're right about the headlights and pantographs, but in my experience the paint finish is superb.  As far as I am aware, only the Dapol 86 and Kato Eurostar have correct pantographs.

And, of course, while you may be able to get other items with that amount of money, none of them will be RTR N-gauge Class 92 shaped!

cheers

Ben A.

I received an Email from Rapido, the Rest of the World will be billed over the next 24-72 hrs for their Pendolino.

James (still no use for an N gauge train...but, it's better than a hole in my head, which might be the alternative !)

• RMweb Gold

Ben,

Do we get to see some CAD images?

Hi JBM,

Absolutely! CAD work is underway and we will be putting images up as soon as possible for feedback. It may well be that our customers - or anyone come to that - will spot detail errors we've missed.

Also, I am hoping the CADs will be sufficiently attractive to prompt further orders!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi JBM,

Depending on which version of the Belle you have, it may be an easier fit than you think.  One unit is being restored right now into original Pullman umber/cream livery - see here http://www.brightonbelle.com/ - and the organisers are hoping to return the unit to the mainline - in a shortened three car form - in Autumn this year.  Further cars are being restored with the aim of recreating a full five car train.  As the restoration is taking place at Barrow Hill there is every chance the train may traverse parts of the WCML, especially if they decide the unit should visit Saltley, where it was built.

Or just run them because you want to - it's your trainset after all!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi boom,

Do you mean you did the CAD work on the real thing? If so I hope you can spare the time to look at ours when we post it and give us your thoughts.

We laser scanned a prototype unit at Crewe in an effort to ensure we get the subtle curves around the nose right, so will be very interested in your observations.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ben

I'm still gutted I ran out of time to pledge but nevertheless, I'm still determined to own one of these trains, and, like a few others, I have no use for it at all (our club layout is based on a modern day Meon Valley line).......... but who cares. It's going to be such a great model.

Do you have a retail price for it yet?

Cheers

Mike

Ben

I'm still gutted I ran out of time to pledge but nevertheless, I'm still determined to own one of these trains, and, like a few others, I have no use for it at all (our club layout is based on a modern day Meon Valley line).......... but who cares. It's going to be such a great model.

Do you have a retail price for it yet?

Cheers

Mike

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/shop/

• RMweb Gold

Sod's law - you wait patiently for CAD to arrive and loads of it arrives at once!

Anyway, here are a few teasers of the full CAD (which hopefully we can release very shortly):

Revolution_Trains_390_DMSO_roof.jpg
DMSO roof and bodyside

Revolution_Trains_390_653XX_pantograph_w

653XX vehicle pantograph well. Note there is not actually a pantograph on these vehicles.

We are very happy with the overall shape and look of the model – the hard work is in making sure all the smaller details are right!

You can see the full news here.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Here are some CAD images of the interiors of the PTSRMB (shop) and trailers with standard and disabled toilets:

post-420-0-51228500-1436388144_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-34977400-1436388145_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-73243300-1436388143_thumb.jpg

The irony of course is that they will not be *that* visible behind the fairly heavily tinted glazing!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam

This image of the 698XX PTYSRMB car is "exploded" to show the interior in position.

post-420-0-55290600-1436400350_thumb.jpg

And this image shows the underside of the 699XX MS.  We noticed on the prototype we scanned that the lower skirts are not fully enclosed at the ends of the central section - this presumably to allow access from inspection pits to some of the components, and this has been replicated, so underframe tanks etc are being depicted.

post-420-0-30779600-1436400352_thumb.jpg

We are very happy with the work on these so far, and looking forward to seeing those all-important curved cab ends with light clusters, windscreens etc!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2