N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Off-topic, but Alistair please make sure someone photographs the heck out of Kinlet Wharf before it is retired - it's such an iconic layout and deserves to be fully documented!

David

I know that we have had the layout in the modeller a couple of times and we do have the pictures especially from the latter shoot a year or 2 ago.

One of the Modeller chaps also took a load more photos of the Pendo on the layout at Warley for a future article that they are doing.

I might start a thread on here and see if people can add any photos they have to it and I will add all of the Photos I have.

On a positive spin, I have had a couple of enquiries about the layout at Warley. So it may be not be retired just yet!

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Revolution is receiving lots of emails from people wanting to buy any extra Pendolinos.

Rapido have told us there will be some spare/extra sets, and in due course we will be putting these on our website for sale, but our primary focus is on fulfilling the orders from those who purchased before the deadline.

For a more detailed update see the website here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/

Cheers

Ben A.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you know how high the model will be with the pantograph up please? A Farish 350 is 4cm and, as the (imaginary) wires will be the same height regardless of the model, I hope it'll be about the same. I'm just thinking about bridge clearances, etc.

On a different point it's really good to see some spare models have been made as more people should have the opportunity to own one of these stunning models.

At the risk of being shot down by those who didn't order before the deadline, I do think they should be offered at a premium to 1) make it fair to those who invested in getting the project across the line and 2) perhaps contribute to helping other projects such as the 321 come to fruition - it'd be a real shame to see that one in particular fall short.

Having seen the RevolutioN / Rapido Pendolino in the flesh at Warley I really can't wait for mine.

Cheers

John

Hi,

Do you know how high the model will be with the pantograph up please? A Farish 350 is 4cm and, as the (imaginary) wires will be the same height regardless of the model, I hope it'll be about the same. I'm just thinking about bridge clearances, etc.

Cheers

John

The pantograph is a pose able version like the Dapol ones. It doesn’t have a spring like the Farish pantograph so can be se at any height you want

Alistair

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Over the Xmas period there was a flood at the Rapido offices in Canada:

https://twitter.com/rapidotrains/status/948013724606091265

The water leaked in an office above theirs, it seems, and not for the first time... and has caused them problems with their computer server.

I don't think this will have any impact on the Pendo since those models are coming from China straight to us here for onward delivery.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Depends what you define as "near enough", IMO not really.

Dapol masts and N-Brass portals are your best low (but not 0) effort option I'd say.

Just playing devils advocate but what about an accurate crowdfunded cantenary?

• RMweb Premium

Far too many variants on the parts required, N Brass portals are good, well priced, and don't require huge amounts of time/skill to assemble.

You then get into whether you have wires, which mean everything else needs to be overbuilt to deal with the added stresses. 

I do wonder about 3D printing registration arms, but suspect they'd be too brittle. But we digress...

Just playing devils advocate but what about an accurate crowdfunded cantenary?

Southern WCML style (1960s), Northern WCML style (1970s), East Coast style (1990s), WCML post privatisation upgrade which affects elements of the mainline but not all of it and then there are the current schemes in the Northwest and GWML  which are very different again.

There is a lot of choice, I suppose for the Pendolino and the WCML there are just the three types to contend with.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought that might be in the spanner in the works, although why anyone would want the new GWR electrification masts, you wouldn't be able to see your trains there so thick (not to mention ugly).

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am not a 4mm modeller, however I watched the video with interest as I am fervently hoping the 90 might get shrunk down to N.

Having looked at several photos of the prototype on flickr, I am not sure what the issue is with the handrails.  On the real thing they are mounted in recesses, so flush with the sides, have flat faces and are squared off top and bottom.  They are not sections of round rod bent at each end and fixed proud of the loco body.

I can't tell from the video whether the handrails on the Bachmann 90 are moulded in situ, or separate mouldings glued in place.  Either way they look, to me, far more realistic than bent wire would, and will look even better when painted.

I am a big fan of wire details and etched parts, but I am not sure they are always the best solution.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

That's odd.  Post ~1294 above was meant to go in the Bachmann Oustanding model thread!

I will repost it there.

Incidentally, on a Pendolino-based note I have heard from Rapido that for non-EU customers the flood in their offices in Canada hasn't actually caused any order information to be lost.

cheers

Ben

Hello all,

That's odd.  Post ~1294 above was meant to go in the Bachmann Oustanding model thread!

I will repost it there.

Incidentally, on a Pendolino-based note I have heard from Rapido that for non-EU customers the flood in their offices in Canada hasn't actually caused any order information to be lost.

cheers

Ben

I did wonder when I read that post yesterday where it came from.

Talking of outstanding models, with the Pendolino now firmly in the 2018 release window there is only really the N gauge Birdcage stock that will be in the way of N gauge model of the year unless DJM delivers an APT by Xmas.

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Hi Woodenhead,

Steady on! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The Dapol 68 looks incredible, though I am relieved the fabulous Farish Class 40 arrived in time for inclusion in the 2017 list! And I hope the Revolution/Rapido Class 92 will be in the running too!

Indeed, looking around at the options and quality of what's coming, has there ever been a better time to be an N gauge modeller?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Woodenhead,

Steady on! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The Dapol 68 looks incredible, though I am relieved the fabulous Farish Class 40 arrived in time for inclusion in the 2017 list! And I hope the Revolution/Rapido Class 92 will be in the running too!

Indeed, looking around at the options and quality of what's coming, has there ever been a better time to be an N gauge modeller?

Cheers

Ben A.

Indeed, has there ever been a better time to be an 00 gauge modeller?

I fancy Revolution could make it better yet. :locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi Woodenhead,

Cheers

Ben A.

And also expecting the Dapol Pacer. Very good to be a WCML modeller in 2018!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Rapido say the Pendolinos will be leaving the factory on January 17th, meaning that they should be here by the end of February at the latest.

For the latest Rapido newsletter - with more information about the Pendo and other projects and a cool photo of two Pendos passing on Kinlet Wharf - see here:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-News-UK-Vol--15---Happy-New-Year-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=hCwiII2wwA8

Cheers

Ben A.