N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Conductor wire height (and therefore panto height) varies.  It can be hard finding good shots of Pendolino pantographs as they raised panto is always to the rear of the train and for obvious reasons photographers tend to take pictures of the front!

This photo at Euston shows it about average: https://flic.kr/p/qe9U7k

Here it's clearly lower: https://flic.kr/p/FP2Sgu

Whereas this shot on the ECML near where I live shows a 321 with the Panto significantly higher: https://flic.kr/p/ofoQVv

There may be specific railway engineering mandates around panto height depending on speeds/track curvature/overhead obstructions etc but I do not know what, if any, these are.  The ECML catenary was erected roughly two decades after much of that on the WCML; it may be that is the reason for the difference.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Conductor wire height (and therefore panto height) varies.  It can be hard finding good shots of Pendolino pantographs as they raised panto is always to the rear of the train and for obvious reasons photographers tend to take pictures of the front!

This photo at Euston shows it about average: https://flic.kr/p/qe9U7k

Here it's clearly lower: https://flic.kr/p/FP2Sgu

Whereas this shot on the ECML near where I live shows a 321 with the Panto significantly higher: https://flic.kr/p/ofoQVv

There may be specific railway engineering mandates around panto height depending on speeds/track curvature/overhead obstructions etc but I do not know what, if any, these are.  The ECML catenary was erected roughly two decades after much of that on the WCML; it may be that is the reason for the difference.

cheers

Ben A.

On the ECML and similar age systems (e.g. Kings Lynn) the wire height is/was normally raised over level crossings to the maximum. Another ECML oddity is that they used head spans as much as possible even on tight curves. Given the way we designed curves back in the late 80's what you don't want is to start lifting or lowering track, particularly in the transitions. Now if you only had two tracks under a headspan then its not a problem, if you have four then the tendency was to go higher on wire on the basis that it ensures that the minimum height is achieved on the highest high rail (see the photo you linked to, to see the difference in rail heights) and if the curve is fairly tight then the level of maintenance, tamping etc to keep the transitions in the right location and to keep the cant correct (normally the full 150mm) will normally leave the track getting slightly higher over time. 

• Like 1

Images of Kings Cross Thameslink will show just how low the overhead wires can go....

I believe the current standard is for wires to be around 4600mm-5100mm above the rail, which is somewhere around 14ft to 16ft in old money.

kings_cross_thameslink12.jpg

Edited by eatus-maximus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Take a look at
http://www.rmweb.co....ne-plain-track/
http://www.rmweb.co....o-curved-track/
http://www.rmweb.co....-anchor-points/
http://www.rmweb.co....t-four-overlap/

And also:

Network Rail Guide to Overhead Electrification (PDF)

I've seen conflicting info. From the Network Rail guide, minimum contact wire height is 4.165m, normal heigt is 4.7m, typical height a level crossings is 5.6m but can be as high as 6.75m.

However, else where: "the contact wire height varies because of tunnels and bridges and at level crossings where road vehicle clearance is needed. So, overall it varies between 4.165 metres to 5.94 metres contact wire height."

Steven B.

For Network Rail normal min contact wire height is 4.165m with a max of 5.94m however these are standard limit values which apply after tolerances and other track and OLE parameters have been considered in the design. I would suggest for a model that the contact wire height should be within the scale equivalent of about 4.3m and 5.8m.

The nominal height is 4.7m and is the height at the supporting structures that would apply when there were no features such as bridges or level crossings.

The normal contact wire height at level crossings is 5.8m.

Where the contact wire height needs to be changed the gradient of the wire is normally upto a maximum of 1 in 5 x the line speed. Eg. A line speed of 100mph would normally have a contact wire gradient of 1 in 500 or shallower. In model terms I would make the gradient a lot steeper than this due to the compression of length that the majority of us model to.

The above is a rough guide based on current practice. There are always exceptions to the norm on the real railway!

I think we'll struggle to top eatus-maximus' photo at City Thameslink for lowest contact wire! 

Without going further off-topic, the highest I can think of that I've seen is at Copmanthorpe foot crossing just south of York, it looks impossibly high, but presumably there are many others like it (I think it was once a farm crossing hence the height)

16234057080_db43b13b16_z.jpg

91115 Copmanthorpe 01/02/2015 by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Edited by ash39

I see that the latest issues of Model Rail and RM have reviews of the Pendolino. Have bought both but have yet to read them...... :O

I still don't see why they send out review models before they are sent out to the rest of us, its not as though as though it will encourage sales of the model. If they are trying to get people to order other products which still have open order books they Shirley can do so after they have posted out the rest. Yours in desperate post Christmas and sans-pendolino gloom. :cry:

P.S. Order a Class 321, you know it make sense.

The one that the Modeller took to review was being used all weekend by me on Kinlet Wharf at Warley. That has a test fit box with Grey scale colourings and a prototype foam tray that wasn’t the finished article.

Although there may not be many more models to sell, in order to generate some hype and good feeling that people’s hard earned money has been put to good use. There are also some people that may not use forums so this is one of the best ways to get the news out that they are nearly here.

Give them a break, it’s not going to be too much longer before we get our grubby little mits on them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bomag,

I completely agree with you. At Warley Rapido gave us three models - a 5-car, a 9-car and an 11-car that were taken from the production line (ie identical to the models we will all receive) but in pre-production boxes.

These were displayed on Horseley Fields, Kinlet Wharf and the Revolution display stand. Subsequently they were spread between Railway Modeller, Model Rail, Rail Express (Review yet to appear) and the two sent to RM and MR are now being sent to BRM and the Hornby mag while the other is with the editor of the N Gauge Journal.

As Ali says, a review isn't essential here but it will be a good way of building credibility for future projects and, maybe, encourage those who were umming and erring about the 321 to decide to have one.

And, we hope, the good reviews will give those who did step up and show faith a nice warm feeling while we wait for our actual models to arrive!

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 6

I think some reviews from folks who haven't been involved in the project is a great idea, a, hopefully, neutral reviewer will give a lot of credibility to Revolution and Rapido, rather than us lot drooling over models we been waiting for.

My only complaint is that I wasn't one of the people picked to do a review.

I'm also on the Rapido list and us foreigners have even less clue when they will arrive in our sweaty little palms :) :)

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

As some may have seen on the website, Rapido have surprised us with a small number of additional Pendolinos depicting 390132 City of Birmingham in revised Virgin livery with plain grey doors.

post-420-0-91620400-1516972564_thumb.jpg

These models are being sent with the main production batch, which has been shipped, and are available to order now via the Revolution Trains website at £365 (DC Silent but with speakers fitted) and £460 (DCC Sound) but hurry, since we announced them in a newsletter to our existing customers this morning half have already gone.

Also, if you are an existing customer, or order a 92 or 320/321 at the same time for the full WCML experience, you'll get a £10 discount.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben,

Do Rapido have any of the City of Birmingham units for us foreigners or can we order them direct from you?

Regards,

John P

Hi John,

For these I suggest ordering direct from Revolution. If that is wrong we can square it with Rapido later, but I'd want to make sure one is set aside for you.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The City of Birmingham models are sold out as of 1700 today. There will be, we think, a very small number of the original types (cancellations etc) available later but we will only know how many once all original orders have been sent out,

Thanks again to everyone who joined in and made this project happen - I think all of us can agree it's been an amazing thing to be a part of.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

The City of Birmingham models are sold out as of 1700 today. There will be, we think, a very small number of the original types (cancellations etc) available later but we will only know how many once all original orders have been sent out,

Thanks again to everyone who joined in and made this project happen - I think all of us can agree it's been an amazing thing to be a part of.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

May be too early to say, but what will the process be for selling the extra version of the 'standard' run of models? Will existing purchasers get an exclusivity period or is the idea to get models to people who missed out first time round?

I can see arguments both ways. Lets take person A. They don't have a Pendolino on order as they missed the deadline for whatever reason (didn't know about it/couldn't afford it/didn't want one at the time). Person A would probably say they should be given equal opportunity to buy one as existing customers, as they will still be getting their Pendolino(s) that they ordered.

Person B ordered a Pendolino, but would now quite like another to go with it. They feel they should get priority over non-backers as they put their money where their mouth was back at the start of the project.

I'm interested to see where you sit on this, and what other people think.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ash,

It's fairly straightforward - for models like City of Birmingham and any original release cancellations etc we will offer them via a newsletter to those who have registered with us.

It's possible to register without obligation, so the playing field is as level as it's possible to be I feel.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi all,

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

With this particular model I noticed you were offering a discount voucher if anyone ordered another model at the same time. Has there been an uplift in orders of the 321 off the back of this?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Ash,

It's fairly straightforward - for models like City of Birmingham and any original release cancellations etc we will offer them via a newsletter to those who have registered with us.

It's possible to register without obligation, so the playing field is as level as it's possible to be I feel.

Cheers

Ben A.

That sounds a very equitable approach to me. There is also a third way to get a Pendolino which is from original investors who have one or two spare. There is already a “futures market” in the train with some of those spare trains promised to people who missed out on one of the original livery trains, and there will certainly be some more once the Pendolinos are delivered, helped by the stimulus of the revised door scheme City of Birmingham arriving. This has also helped in setting the ballpark price for the 11 car train in new condition.