N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

If you're attending the York show you could ask them there, or maybe email them direct.

I had understood it that their models would take longer to ship to Canada than ours to the UK, and there was also a note in their latest newsletter (I think) about problems at some Pacific ports causing delays to shipping, but I don't know if this has impacted Pendolino deliveries to Toronto.

Cheers

Ben A.

Not to speak for Rapido, but anything going to Markham is likely in the same box as the North American models held up by the west coast port delays, last I talked to someone at Rapido they are still expecting a box to arrive in Markham in early April, I would assume the NA pendos would be in it, but I don’t know for sure.

Stephen

Well one of mine has arrived and the only word i can muster is WOW! on so many levels.

A beautiful model, superb packaging, can't run it yet but she looks fantastic!

When it arrived i was like a 6 year old on christmas day! 

I would like to offer HUGE congratulations to Mike, Ben, and all at Rapido for making an N gauge Pendolino a reality.

Graham.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well one of mine has arrived and the only word i can muster is WOW! on so many levels.

A beautiful model, superb packaging, can't run it yet but she looks fantastic!

I would like to offer HUGE congratulations to Mike, Ben, and all at Rapido for making an N gauge Pendolino a reality.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Thanks for those kind words - I would also like to stop and acknowledge that Rapido have now produced two British models in N - the TEA tanker and the Pendo - and both are arguably among the best models ever produced for the N gauge market here.  

They really are capable of amazing work, and I look forward to continuing our fruitful relationship with them through the KFA, 92, HOA and hopefully the 320/321 if we can pick up a few more orders.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

Thanks for those kind words - I would also like to stop and acknowledge that Rapido have now produced two British models in N - the TEA tanker and the Pendo - and both are arguably among the best models ever produced for the N gauge market here.  

Tsk, you've clearly never owned a Lima Fowler 4F in N 

• Like 1

Both of my Pendolinos have arrived. City of Wolverhampton and City of Birmingham. Both sets are perfect and absolutely amazing! It takes a few minutes to get all of the coaches on to the track and connected, particularly under the OHLE. The running of both sets is superb, straight from the box. Beautifully controllable throughout the whole speed range with a lovely slow crawl.

These trains are superb with wonderfully executed livery and exquisite detail. A huge thank you to Ben and Mike and Rapido. A great accolade for Ben and Mike and very rewarding to see their vision come to fruition. We are a very fortunate bunch of N Gauge Modellers.

Cheers,

Ged

• Like 1

Hi Gang,

The jealousy here is growing with the knowledge that lots of peeps have got their Pendolinos and are having great fun discovering all the joys that it brings. With the guys away at York show this weekend and Ben stating he is busy the weekend after, then I guess I'll be waiting a little longer for mine....order #302 by the way.

Impatience is a terrible thing....and I'm keen to get hold of mine, even though I don't have anywhere but a test track to run them.

Later,

Stu from EGDL

Well I collected mine this morning, and although I haven't been able to run it yet, I am absolutely delighted. Just the box itself is gorgeous! The level of detail is very impressive, and totally captures the real thing.

I do have two minor criticisms though, one quality control related, another construction related. Firstly, there are one or two paint imperfections, obviously where dust has fallen into the paint as it was being sprayed (Rapido's factory move was for this very reason). Secondly, the coach ends were evidently molded in red plastic before being painted black, and where there is a slight misalignment in the lower side edges, a strip of red is visible. If this were black plastic, or the rear of those pieces had also been painted, this would not be visible.

These are admittedly minor minor niggles, and won't in anyway spoil my enjoyment of the model. Assuming the front overhang doesn't catch on the tunnels, I should be able to give this a run in on my dads layout over the weekend when I visit.

This model really will sit pride of place in my collection, and in many ways I now feel that collection is now complete. If I never bought another model, I am now in possession of all the West Coast stock I wanted. Huge thanks to Ben and Mike, and Rapido for making this. It was a model I honestly didn't think I would ever see in RTR in N.

I'll post an update on it running later during the weekend.

David

Enjoyed looking at the Pendolino models on the Revolution stand at York today, the first time I've seen the production models and I was very impressed. The 92 is looking excellent as well!

Can't wait for my 390005 to arrive now...

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a quick note to say thanks to all who have stopped by our stand at the York show this weekend, or posted here, on Facebook and elsewhere, to give us so much great feedback on the Pendolinos.

It has been a long road but well worth it to hear that so many fellow enthisiasts are getting such pleasure now!

At the York show a DCC Sound 11-car Poppylino has been stretching its legs on the excellent Heworth Sidings. This is a still from the video that's on the baby_pendo facebook page:

post-420-0-87627700-1522621288_thumb.png

While on the non-electrified Dragonby (former Acton Mainline) it's only fitting that the Pendo is dragged by a DRS Dellner-fitted 57...

post-420-0-63868900-1522621876_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow is the last day of the York show... then once we get back we will set to work on sending out those models that are yet to be dispatched.

And thanks again to everyone who stepped up and made this happen, and most of all to Rapido for creating such a gorgeous model.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the time you took to talk to my brother-in-law about the Pendo whilst you were at Heworth Sidings. He found it most interesting and you may well have piqued his interest in 'train sets' as he calls them. My son also received his Pendo on Saturday and needs somewhere to stretch its legs, so is pestering me to lay some N gauge track in my garden. You have been instrumental in producing an inspirational model. Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the time you took to talk to my brother-in-law about the Pendo whilst you were at Heworth Sidings. He found it most interesting and you may well have piqued his interest in 'train sets' as he calls them. My son also received his Pendo on Saturday and needs somewhere to stretch its legs, so is pestering me to lay some N gauge track in my garden. You have been instrumental in producing an inspirational model. Thank you.

Hi Phil,

No problem - always good to have a chat! And your b-i-l is right - they are train sets. But we enjoy playing with them!

If you're looking for a quick-and-dirty track solution then I recommend Kato Unitrack - it is what we use on the Revolution display stand and is very robust, forgiving of the surface it's laid on and simple to lay out and put away again.

Cheers

Ben A.

Just a quick query, I don't want to bother them with all the posting they have to do, but as my order was under number 200 I thought I would get it quickly. Looking at the latest news it appears that as I ordered light bars and have 4 separate order numbers, deposit, final payment etc, does this mean I need to receive 4 confirmatory emails before I even look for the postman?

Hope I've got this in the right place, if not please forgive me!

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick query, I don't want to bother them with all the posting they have to do, but as my order was under number 200 I thought I would get it quickly. Looking at the latest news it appears that as I ordered light bars and have 4 separate order numbers, deposit, final payment etc, does this mean I need to receive 4 confirmatory emails before I even look for the postman?

Hope I've got this in the right place, if not please forgive me!

Simple answer: yes!  But that is assuming that we've caught up with updating the website.

Ben and I have both been away for the last few days and we have a lot of work still to go through on the Pendolinos.

We've tried to put together an update page on our website (which we will keep up to date as we pack and send out more Pendolinos): http://www.revolutiontrains.com/pendolino-postings-tale-missing-screws/

Cheers, Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Look what turned up today!!!!! It’s like Christmas come early!!!!

post-10222-0-00796700-1524254707_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-31031800-1524254752_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-36805800-1524254787_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-04296900-1524254818_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-23681100-1524254836_thumb.jpeg

Posed on my Euston layout and very much at home!

post-10222-0-34886500-1524255195_thumb.jpeg

These are stunning models and I’m very impressed with the level of detail and quality of them. Well worth every penny and the wait.

I’d like to say a massive thank you to Ben and Mike and everyone at rapido for producing such a wonderful model.

Got to get the 321 across the line if this is the level of quality we are in for.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 10

Good evening,

Look what turned up today!!!!! It’s like Christmas come early!!!!

Posed on my Euston layout and very much at home!

attachicon.gif0C425F82-0DB7-4C19-B5E3-7EB0D960EB79.jpeg

These are stunning models and I’m very impressed with the level of detail and quality of them. Well worth every penny and the wait.

I’d like to say a massive thank you to Ben and Mike and everyone at rapido for producing such a wonderful model.

Got to get the 321 across the line if this is the level of quality we are in for.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Very nice indeed. Is that Finetrax I see them sitting on?

Regards

Roy

It's 2mm finescale easitrac

Best regards,

Jeremy

It looks fabulous, I have a couple of Finetrax points ready to be built when I can find my Xuron track cutters following our recent house move.

Every time I see fine scale trackwork, be it 2mil Easitrac or Finetrax, I become more convinced it is the way to go for my next layout. In point of fact I was thinking this morning when putting one of my 4MT tanks on the track how clunky the Code 55 looks next to the beautifully fine wheels the loco has, really it is time I used something more prototypical and pictures like yours inspire me to do so.

Regards

Roy

Mine arrived yesterday. Big thanks again to everyone involved, it's hard to believe that two individuals started from almost nothing to make a product so professional looking. The packaging is superb.

It's difficult because I have a lot of respect for the job that's been done, but there are a couple of details which I think would be picked up on if another manufacturer produced them. The chassis block in the driving cars is silver, and through the smoked glass it looks copper! I am going to place some black electrical tape over the inside of the glazing to remedy this.

I also thought I'd remembered reading in the original specs that the model would be with etched nameplates? It's possible this decision was reversed and I missed it, it is a long thread!

This next one is not a problem with the model as such, but possibly a problem with my particular model. Is anyone else using a Gaugemaster Prodigy Express controller? I'm finding speed setting 2 onwards is very smooth, but at setting 1 the power cars lurch and stutter forward whilst making a noise like a cement mixer. One is worse than the other. Have checked for obvious obstructions in the gears but all looks fine.

The power cars almost don't run at all on their own, they need to be coupled as a 5 car set or more. This is on a small oval of clean track. This makes me think it could be a pickup problem? Either way, setting off smoothly is very difficult. I'm sure the Revolution guys will be busy posting out the remaining models, so I would appreciate hearing anyone elses experiences before pinging them an email.

Edited by ash39

The power cars almost don't run at all on their own, they need to be coupled as a 5 car set or more. This is on a small oval of clean track. This makes me think it could be a pickup problem? Either way, setting off smoothly is very difficult. I'm sure the Revolution guys will be busy posting out the remaining models, so I would appreciate hearing anyone elses experiences before pinging them an email.

I think that this is due entirely to the number of wheelsets insulated by the traction tyres, so intermediate cars are needed to supply continuous power. This is a heavy train with lots of bogies, my eleven car set has 22 bogies. Remarkably my 2 + 14 Kato Eurostar only has 20 bogies, is a much lighter train, has no interior lighting, and has a single power car with traction tyres. Both the Pendolino and the Eurostar are at the top of my favourites list.

Edited by mikeharvey22