N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

I found a way to get round the issue of a dominant power car is to move the train off very slowly and once moving open up the throttle, it also sounds quite good driving the train this way especially with the flange squeal on.

Which is precisely how Class 360's pull away in real life. I travel on them regularly, and they creep away to get the train rolling and once it has all the wheels turning it floors it! I assume this is part of the control system as it does it all the time regardless of conditions, and presumably explains their ability to accelerate pretty fast without slip etc. I don't know if real life Pendolinos do something similar as I've only been on one once :( ?

No sign of mine yet (Order 599 First Payment > 3349 Second Payment).

Trusting it is on its way soon.

TRUST is the key word Jonathan.

I haven't had my 2 sets either, but I'm not worried.

Give Ben and Mike a chance !!!

They have already stated that they are working hard at weekends to post orders out to all of their loyal customers, and let's not forget that they also have full time jobs as well.

Might be worthwhile you sending them an e-mail direct, because by posting on here, some may think that you are actually having a "swipe" at them in public.

Hope you receive your set soon, and I'm sure you will be amazed by it.

PS : Usual disclaimers etc.

They have already stated that they are working hard at weekends to post orders out to all of their loyal customers, and let's not forget that they also have full time jobs as well.

Might be worthwhile you sending them an e-mail direct, because by posting on here, some may think that you are actually having a "swipe" at them in public.

And they are well worth the wait!!

I wouldn't - Revolution will contact the customer directly if there is a problem. If there isn't a problem, then I'm sure it'll arrive soon. 

I've made a start weathering my 390005. I spent a long time looking at photos, particularly of the roof as this the hardest element to get right. I've noticed when observing the real thing, the two end vehicles next to the pantograph get coated in a greeny-brown dust from the OHLE. This is because they generally run with the rearmost pantograph up, so the trailing deposits land on the vehicles behind. If you look at the vehicles between the two pantographs, they are often cleaner, or if they are dirty it is less green in tone.  Whilst looking at images, I also noticed some of the insulators around the pantograph are red, and the wires connecting them are black, so I picked those out with a very small brush.

I attempted my usual wash to highlight the panel gaps, but it wasn't having much effect. The relief is very fine on the Pendolino and the thinned paint was just wiping off. Eventually, I found that slapping on thick dark grey paint, before rubbing off with a paper towl, gave the desired effect. 

Once I'd completed the 'wash' on vehicles A-C (it's a big train, so I'm doing it in 3 sections of 3), I got the airbrush out. Pleasingly I found a shade I was happy with quite quickly for the green carbon deposits, basically adding a bit of Humbrol 159 Khaki Matt to a base of Humbrol 29 Dark Earth Matt and it was spot on. I also applied a layer of Humbrol 29 to the underframe & bogies.

Still got some other tones to mix in, and the rest of the train to complete, but attached is how it's looking so far.

post-15125-0-21275100-1525117998_thumb.jpg

post-15125-0-77571500-1525118012_thumb.jpg

post-15125-0-34100700-1525118029_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I really like what you've done around the pantograph well, that enhances it greatly. Must confess I'm not seeing the green deposits from that video, but I'm sure you're right! I think I'll give mine a fine dusting with the powders on the roof and under frame but little else!

And they are well worth the wait!!

I wouldn't - Revolution will contact the customer directly if there is a problem. If there isn't a problem, then I'm sure it'll arrive soon. 

o.k. Thank you

• RMweb Gold

Last night I generated the last set of labels for our first sweep through the order book.

Next is to contact all the people that have an outstanding balance, haven't paid for P&P, that we have queries about their address or order etc - that is a lot, but we're getting there bit by bit.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Ash,

Great job - first weathered Pendo I've seen. I certainly haven't had time to even think of doing my own yet, though I fully intend to!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben. It's not a quick job by any means, but an enjoyable one. When I'm next on the laptop I'll share some of the roof images I've been using as a reference, they were hard to track down and will hopefully help others.

How good are the pans on the pendo by the way? They look great. I know they aren't 100% accurate for other applications but I may have a go at popping the spares onto some of my other models, the Farish 350 being a prime candidate.

• RMweb Premium

Had exactly the same thought about the pans, they look spot on. Best British N gauge pan I've seen, and I'm also tempted to butcher a couple onto 350s!

• RMweb Gold

Still await the three I ordered but there is no rush as Banbury isn't out till October. One set is for an RMweber who was working abroad at the time and I bet he is keen to get his hands on one

Edited by roundhouse

I just got charged by Rapido for my balances.

Looks like they will be shipping from Canada soon.

Regards,

John P

I have also been charged by Rapido. Obviously the Rand has fallen.

As I am in Toronto for a few days I will be off to Rapido to collect mine soon. Hopefully room in the suitcase!

Regards,

Trevor

This video of 390042 leaving Glasgow illustrates the roof dust to good effect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN92KwdhOJQ

Here's a couple of pictures of a Pendolinos roofs. The Pendolinos generally run with only the rear pantograph up so that if it trashes the wire or gets damaged the front pantograph might still be used to move the train around. This means that the creamy spray on the roof extends from each pantograph to the nearest driving car but not inwards toward the centre of the train. The coaches between the pantographs have got the generally dirty dark filth in the roof area.

The first photo shows the end of the train with the light coloured dust/spray up to the pantograph and the second is just turning around and showing the middle of the same train with none of the light coloured filth. The far end of the train out of view has the same light coloured spray from the pantograph to the end of the driving car.

post-799-0-00440800-1525437807_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-55478500-1525437834_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 4

Hi Gang,

Got a chance at Bristol show to run the full 11 car City of Birmingham on Stapleforth St Stephens today. This is a DCC Sound fitted model running on pure DC....and it behaved impeccably. There were reduced sounds and a certain level of inertia...but it put a good few laps in without putting a foot wrong.

I know that I have previously commented on the dominant power car and the fact I have fiddled with traction tyres etc....but I have to say that away from the test track....and under exhibition conditions.....it did exactly what it said on the tin. It ran beautifully and impressed those spectators who were still there towards the end of a busy show.

Best Regards,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Like 1

Coketown has had its first train at the city's newly rebuilt station. Too many unconnected lighting wires around to power the track so nothing moving but Revolution's Pendolino looking great in platform 2! Some other pictures of the station in the signature link to the gallery.

post-799-0-06000900-1525914721_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-37609000-1525914743_thumb.jpg

post-799-0-07329600-1525914770_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I've just received my Pendolino - wow it is amazing!! HUGE thanks to Ben and Mike and to all at Rapido and to their amazing employees in China, who must collectively have the patience of a saint to produce such a finely detailed model - its completely amazing!!

Roll on Revolution and heres to many more WCML models - fingers crossed for the 321 getting over the line and dreaming one day of a 90 or three and maybe, just maybe classes 81-85?!  

Roll on Revolution and heres to many more WCML models - fingers crossed for the 321 getting over the line and dreaming one day of a 90 or three and maybe, just maybe classes 81-85?!  

The 27th November 2019 will see the 60th anniversary of the introduction of E3001, the first purpose built BR 25kV AC electric.

• Like 3

The 27th November 2019 will see the 60th anniversary of the introduction of E3001, the first purpose built BR 25kV AC electric.

One I would definitely go for in the original electric blue livery, catenary on my layout or not it would look lovely with a rake of maroon Mk1s.

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

Interesting bit of info in the latest Rapido UK Newsletter:

"The overall response has been such that we've spent the last few months fielding many calls and emails from people that missed out. We thought this might happen so we made 100 additional sets with a new number, representing 11-car 390132 City of Birmingham in the original livery but with plain grey doors. This replicates the livery worn by most of the current fleet. We were as surprised as anyone when they sold out within 24 hours of being announced to the public back in February!

All of this means that more Pendolinos are on the way, and sooner rather than later. It's been almost two years since our original planned delivery date so we're currently drawing up plans for a second run. This will include the new (and much requested) "Azuma" scheme. Watch this space!"

• Like 1