N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Interesting bit of info in the latest Rapido UK Newsletter:

"The overall response has been such that we've spent the last few months fielding many calls and emails from people that missed out. We thought this might happen so we made 100 additional sets with a new number, representing 11-car 390132 City of Birmingham in the original livery but with plain grey doors. This replicates the livery worn by most of the current fleet. We were as surprised as anyone when they sold out within 24 hours of being announced to the public back in February!

All of this means that more Pendolinos are on the way, and sooner rather than later. It's been almost two years since our original planned delivery date so we're currently drawing up plans for a second run. This will include the new (and much requested) "Azuma" scheme. Watch this space!"

Oh dear, my wife is going to be so cross! :jester:

Does anybody have a link to the latest Rapido Newsletter?

It hasn't posted online yet.  Subscribe and you'll be the first to get it in the future:

https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/manage/optin?v=001Wa58ZNPFtyVuYik5eQ8GpCkNwpnOxRcBpXRz_0KOC0rwgm24eBoazsH_ANv_hmpHsM0GNL3HxfoCCLa3Ngm7m7eSKktFCN9L79FBO9CfPLyNebwDKIg6SDLpiuQkYuToVybYZfRBUFT7Fv9Rd9I20A%3D%3D

My Pendolinos arrived late last week and just wow...

I've only tested City of Wolverhampton so far (photo attached awaiting the green light at Priorslee West) and it works perfectly. Power cars absolutely in sync on DC and after being wary of the traction tyres from other posts they do seem to enhance the running.

Hats off to all concerned at RevolutioN and Rapido - roll on the Class 92s and (hopefully) the 321s.

John

post-18723-0-26979000-1526912047_thumb.jpeg

Edited by johnshutts
  • Like 2

Hi there,

I might be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread many moons ago that it'd be a minimum of two years before there were further runs of the Pendolino would be done - sorry I haven't had chance to go through all 60 pages

That might have been part of the Kickstarter agreement prior to Rapido taking over with the none Kickstarter model but I'm sure Ben and Mike would be able to clarify.

John

My Pendolinos arrived late last week and just wow...

I've only tested City of Wolverhampton so far (photo attached awaiting the green light at Priorslee West) and it works perfectly. Power cars absolutely in sync on DC and after being wary of the traction tyres from other posts they do seem to enhance the running.

Hats off to all concerned at RevolutioN and Rapido - roll on the Class 92s and (hopefully) the 321s.

John

Looks like a nice layout. Do you have a thread about it?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi there,

I might be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere in this thread many moons ago that it'd be a minimum of two years before there were further runs of the Pendolino would be done - sorry I haven't had chance to go through all 60 pages

That might have been part of the Kickstarter agreement prior to Rapido taking over with the none Kickstarter model but I'm sure Ben and Mike would be able to clarify.

John

The thinking would be strike whilst the iron is hot, now people have seen it more want to buy or buy more - hopefully it has the effect of also spurring purchases of the 321 to push that into production too.

i don't think it matters to RevolutioN, they sold their units, Rapido sold their City of Birminghams so no-one is losing out and it enhances future post 97 WCML models.

• RMweb Premium

i don't think it matters to RevolutioN, they sold their units, Rapido sold their City of Birminghams so no-one is losing out and it enhances future post 97 WCML models.

Hi

Except for those people who bought them to sell on to get the project across the line.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Except for those people who bought them to sell on to get the project across the line.

Cheers

Paul

It depends - if they sell on at a sensible price increment on what they paid then it is likely to be below the price of a new release, if they price to appear in the E-bay madness thread weil tough.

At the end of the day, if someone invested on the hope of making a profit later then it's a chance you take as you will be in competition with the others who have done the same so why not Rapido as well.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

If/when there is another run of Pendolinos then the price is sure to be higher than the price of the first load of Pendolinos - after all, those prices were set three years ago.

And of course the liveries and numbers would be different.

So I am sure those who bought to sell on (and good luck to them - they helped get the project going!) will not be left high and dry.

The original Kickstarter did state that there would be a gap of two years before further models would be available; I am not sure Rapido ever signed up to this condition as part of plan B (implemented when the Kickstarter campaign fell short) but they did honour the original Kickstarter prices, which I thought was decent of them.  Besides,  I can't see any new models being here for at least a year - and orders for the first run closed over a year ago.

Cheers

Ben A.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ben, Mike, Rapido, anyone else involved in bringing the Pendolino to fruition, I salute you. 

Having picked up my 101 Sqn from the PO today ( :yahoo: ) and given it a quick look over, I cannot express how happy I am with mine without resorting to all of the usual superlatives, which frankly still wouldn't do justice to the ambition, scale and quality of this model. If it doesn't win model of the year then something is seriously amiss! Congratulations all, and thank you. 

I will probably try and take some more in-depth photos at some point, but right now I'm too busy just looking at it  :O

post-1467-0-09658600-1526925358_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 7

Looks like a nice layout. Do you have a thread about it?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your kind comments - I hadn't really thought about doing a thread on the layout but it's a good suggestion.

I'm really pleased with it. I can't take the credit for the build although the original track plan was my design. The layout was built by a guy called Steve Hornsey who often sells micro layouts on eBay. Highly recommended.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your kind comments - I hadn't really thought about doing a thread on the layout but it's a good suggestion.

I'm really pleased with it. I can't take the credit for the build although the original track plan was my design. The layout was built by a guy called Steve Hornsey who often sells micro layouts on eBay. Highly recommended.

Regards

John

Hi. Do you have Steve's contact details?

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

We've now processed approximately 90%+ of the orders (as of 23 May 2018) - over 900 Pendolinos sent out!

We've been working through missing payments/order queries and we've now sent at least one email to everyone in the order book. If you have not received your Pendolino order or seen an email from us please check your emails / spam box!  If still nothing then please drop us an email.

Next steps

Missing/incomplete/incorrect orders: if you have already contacted us about a missing/incomplete/incorrect order then we're working through them and will resolve them as quickly as possible - no need to contact us again.

Spares and repairs: if you spot a missing or broken part, or you have a problem with your Pendolino then please contact us using the details in the instruction manual - that helps us make sure that we get your email and forward it to the correct place.  We've received a large shipment of spares and these have now been passed on to Rapido's servicing agent.  Again if you've already been in touch with us we are starting to pass your queries through to Simon who will be in touch shortly.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These were Waiting with a neighbour last night when we got home.

City of Manchester, London and Birmingham all in a line. City of London is not mine though but can't wait to give them a run. I did have City of Birmingham out of the box and it looks superb

post-1557-0-47555100-1527235785_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

These were Waiting with a neighbour last night when we got home.

City of Manchester, London and Birmingham all in a line. City of London is not mine though but can't wait to give them a run. I did have City of Birmingham out of the box and it looks superb

Keep them all for yourself Ian! Just say the other one didn't turn up! :laugh: :secret:

I picked my City of Wolverhampton up from the post depot last Saturday (had the red card through the letterbox) and I've had it running round the oval on my dining table. It's an absolutely beautiful model: well worth the wait. I had a couple of minor issues - one of which I thought might be a major issue - straight out of the box. Like several other people, I found that one power car ran considerably better than the other, although this has now evened itself out following a stretch of running-in. The other thing was that one of the power cars (the better-running one, ironically) didn't sit right on the track. It looked as if the entire chassis was twisted and when power was applied one of the axles on the nose-end bogie started climbing over the rail almost immediately, getting worse until eventually it would derail, even on straight track. I prodded and poked at it, trying to work out what was wrong, and I was at the point of thinking I'd have to contact Revolution when I discovered that the problem actually lay in the other bogie, which had been pushed up into the body and had stuck there. A gentle tug pinged it back out into its proper place and since then everything's been fine.

It's easily the best N-gauge model I've ever seen. TomE wrote above "If it doesn't win model of the year then something is seriously amiss! " and I'd go along with that.

One other thing: I don't really like the white Virgin colour scheme, but the Virgin Pride scheme is fantastic, in my opinion.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...