N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

The forum has been rather quiet of late. I guess everyone is enjoying their Pendolino models, I know I am! Browsing the model shop websites I came across this list of future Pendolino models on the C&M Models website.

They were announced on September 5th with several other models, covered here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/137238-revolution-announce-at-class-128-vea-cemflos-ipa-and-tanktainers-more-pendos-and-teas/

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We are very proud that the Revolution Trains/Rapido Class 390 Pendolino has been nominated as Best N Gauge Locomotive in the new Hornby Magazine Awards:

https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/2018/09/13/Hornby-magazine-model-railway-awards-2018/

If you feel the models deserve this accolade then please feel free to vote. In my view it's an exceptionally strong field with other superb models also in contention, which has to be good for N gauge in general!

As for the new versions on offer, there are more details in the news section of the Revolution Trains website here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/#

The new variants will, as ever, only go ahead if enough pre-orders are received, but these are the options and our reasons for their selection:

"Flowing Silk" versions:

9-car

390010 "Cumbrian Spirit". First to be repainted.

390005 "City of Wolverhampton" - selected as it has the slightly revised new livery with black window bands.

390045 "Virgin Pride" - Eye-catching Rainbow power car - absolutely has to be done!

11-car

390107 - First 11-car set to be repainted. Also has the revised black window bands which I believe will be added to all future repaints.

Original livery with dark grey doors:

11-car

390 130 "City of Edinburgh" - selected as we wanted to represent a Scottish city.

390 152 "Virgin Knight" - selected as it has a cool name.

Original livery with striped doors and post 2006 door letters:

390 049 "Virgin Express" - selected as in the first run all the 9-car versions were depicted in "as delivered" form, with no coach door letter markings. This version has the door letters, so strictly speaking is more accurate for those modelling 2006-2018. (It received Flowing Silk colours in June this year I believe.)

We are expecting to open orders for these in the next couple of weeks; delivery of the models will depend on Rapido's production schedule of course, but we will as ever keep our supporters updated.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3

As for the new versions on offer, there are more details in the news section of the Revolution Trains website here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/news/#

The new variants will, as ever, only go ahead if enough pre-orders are received, but these are the options and our reasons for their selection:

Hi Ben, I received my Cargowaggon twins today with the flyer for the new Pendolinos etc, but I wouldn't find any means to actually order them on the website?

I'd love to order a "trainbow" Pendolino - but I'm beginning a very busy time of year, and I don't really trust myself to remember to check back and put in an order in another few weeks/months time. I'd hate for you to miss out on orders for this kind of reason!

Justin

• RMweb Gold

One of my Pendolinos has finally been tested on Banbury and a powered Farish class 57 Thunderbird speed matched so it can ' haul' it through Banbury.

The only issue is that the NEM Easi Shunt couplings that I have fitted to both, appear to be slightly different heights with the the odd derailment / separation but  genrally works very well.

Now to make sure that I dont misplace the nose cover section but at least there is a spare in the box.

Video already posted on my Banbury thread but link here for ease

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Wow - that looks great.

I think that because of the shape of the prototype the NEM socket in the Pendo is slightly higher than the norm. I know the Rapido couplers supplied with them model appear to have a slight downward joggle to set them at the correct height. This might be causing your issues. Sorry about this! Are you wanting to uncouple "on scene?"

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Wow - that looks great.

I think that because of the shape of the prototype the NEM socket in the Pendo is slightly higher than the norm. I know the Rapido couplers supplied with them model appear to have a slight downward joggle to set them at the correct height. This might be causing your issues. Sorry about this! Are you wanting to uncouple "on scene?"

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben

It makes an interesting scene!

It can be avoided if the Thunderbird is set to accelerate and decelerate slightly slower than the Pendolino. Yesterday after adjusting this, it did not uncouple, it can be got around so not a big issue really.

A photo of the Pendolino sitting in the otherwise empty fiddleyard awaiting its next drag. Will be a bit fuller this weekend at Fareham

post-1557-0-96287500-1538668970_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

I just got my first full length Pendolino running at full speed (ish) around my layout. The track and electrics weren't sorted until last week.

According to my Z21, Alsthom Pendo managed my lifting section and the 12" radius curve that immediately follows it at a scale 165mph.

Now I just need to try out the others.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

Is there any news on when the order book for the next Pendolinos will be open? I’m waiting to order the Virgin Pride set.

Many thanks,

Doug.

The RevolutioN flyer at Warley said " Order book opening late 2018. Delivery Q2-3 2019". No need to panic given the order book will not close until just before production begins.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My Pendolinos had their first public trip out of Coketown at the Preston Model Railway Show this weekend. The layout is not quite finished but enough of a WCML Lancashire feel to show off the trains. Excuse the sports hall lighting!

Dave

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hopefully we will get another series of Pendolinos to order at some point including Virgin Pride.

However I think we may need to wait for a new livery in the near future...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/10/stagecoach-barred-from-rail-franchise-bids-over-pensions-row

Edited by davepallant
The Forum software trashed the link
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I mentioned this on a RevolutioN topic in answer to a query about TINGS but in case it was missed, there was an image posted by RailGooner on the NGF yesterday, only a small part of the image:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/81/5427-140919192608-814871789.jpeg

but on enlargement, the description card reads:

Test print of “flowing silk” motif, not full deco sample.

Order book expected to open for new versions Q4 2019 for delivery Q3 2020.

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
fumbled cut and paste

I own a pair of 11 coach DCC Sound fitted Pendolinos with internal lights, which I must say are superb, the detail is remarkable. Just a quick question should we oil the cogs on the front and rear power cars? I am finding that on one of the power cars it seems to grind before getting up to speed. If so which oil should I use? Many thanks for producing these they look incredible especially when the lights are fitted.

Best, Chris

• Thanks 1

It's possible that the noise is being caused by the wheelsets missing their traction tyres.

Have you noticed any small, circular, broken, bits of rubber lying around. My Pendos threw a few tyres before I realised what was going on.

Regards,

John P

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Mike, John much appreciated haven't seen any rubber lying around I will make sure they are clipped in place although I think I have already done this. Great model though.

Do we need to oil the cogs and if so which oil. Sorry I am new to N Gauge.

Best,

C