N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

1 hour ago, Chrisjh said:

Many thanks Mike, John much appreciated haven't seen any rubber lying around I will make sure they are clipped in place although I think I have already done this. Great model though.

Do we need to oil the cogs and if so which oil. Sorry I am new to N Gauge.

Best,

C

A low viscosity oil is good. Dapoil from Dapol or oil that watchmakers use is what I've been told.

• 1 month later...

Per the just released Rapido UK newsletter (in inboxes of subscribers) Rapido found two dozen brand new Pendolinos during a cleaning of their warehouse.

These will be brought to Warley and sold at the Rapido booth on a first come first served basis - the Rapido booth will be easy to find because there will be a real bus next to it.

• 2 weeks later...

My Pendolino drive cars have been with Mohan at Rapido for repair since March.

I have a call scheduled with him tomorrow to discuss status but I fear the worst.

I sent them back for repair as they were very juddery at low speeds and one of the drive cars went faster than the other and to top it all one of the decoders failed (track voltage was 13v, before anyone asks).

Mohan hasn't been able to resolve the issues and I think tomorrow's call will be to tell me that there is nothing more that they can try.

Rapido don't have any other Pendo drive cars knocking around to replace them with either.

I'm pretty bummed out about the situation as it looks like i'll end up with 11 sparkling coaches and nothing at either end.

If I do end up getting cars back is there anything that I can do to resolve it all myself?

Anybody had the slow speed judder? What did you do to resolve it?

I could have the decoder changed although I won't have the sound files unless anyone can put me in touch with Legomanbiffo?

If all else fails can I fit the body shell onto a similar chassis?

I can't help feeling that I shouldn't have to be thinking of solutions like this when i'd spent $660 on a model that failed within a year of very little use.

Edited by ChicagoSammo
Adding questions for suggested resolutions

4 hours ago, ChicagoSammo said:

My Pendolino drive cars have been with Mohan at Rapido for repair since March.

I have a call scheduled with him tomorrow to discuss status but I fear the worst.

I sent them back for repair as they were very juddery at low speeds and one of the drive cars went faster than the other and to top it all one of the decoders failed (track voltage was 13v, before anyone asks).

Mohan hasn't been able to resolve the issues and I think tomorrow's call will be to tell me that there is nothing more that they can try.

Rapido don't have any other Pendo drive cars knocking around to replace them with either.

I'm pretty bummed out about the situation as it looks like i'll end up with 11 sparkling coaches and nothing at either end.

If I do end up getting cars back is there anything that I can do to resolve it all myself?

Anybody had the slow speed judder? What did you do to resolve it?

I could have the decoder changed although I won't have the sound files unless anyone can put me in touch with Legomanbiffo?

If all else fails can I fit the body shell onto a similar chassis?

I can't help feeling that I shouldn't have to be thinking of solutions like this when i'd spent $660 on a model that failed within a year of very little use.

Chase rapido up as they have found a few in their warehouse and are bringing them over for Warley. You may get lucky, may not be the number you want but does mean you can play with it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

In the recent UK newsletter Rapido said they had found 20 unopened sets so potential there for replacement working chassis.

I spoke with Mohan again today.

A small number of the Pendolino sets have the same judder issue as the model moves from zero to slow speed but is fine from 3/4 to full speed as mine does.

The issue would seem to be somewhere in the DCC/Sound decoder.

Rapido are working with ESU to try and find a resolution.

In the meantime I am going to get my cars back and work with my DCC expert to swap to v5 decoders to see if that makes any difference.

Sound files would need to be tweaked to change from v4 compatible to v5 but it shouldn't be impossible . . . just time consuming.

There is potentially an option with one of the remaining sets that are going to Warley if the above doesn't resolve the issue - I'm still talking to Mohan about that.

My gears packed up on my Pendolino still waiting for a response from Revolution Trains. These are great Trains but I cant believe I spent £600 on them only to pack up in less than a year

Does anyone know where I could get a single gear part number N20-08-01 ?

Many thanks,

Chris

14 minutes ago, Chrisjh said:

My gears packed up on my Pendolino still waiting for a response from Revolution Trains. These are great Trains but I cant believe I spent £600 on them only to pack up in less than a year

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, did you contact the designated uk repair agent for Rapidos Pendolinos Sh model

making as per instruction manuals?

@Ben A

Cheers Paul

Edited by Only-Me

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Chrisjh said:

Many thanks,

Chris

Dear Chris

I believe we’ve already been in contact about this haven’t we?

Please remember that we do this in our spare time and I’ve spent much of the last few weeks working out of the UK. 

We will get it sorted. 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Many thanks Mike, and thanks for your reply which is much appreciated. Just like to get the Pendolino working for my Girlfriends son before his birthday. Very happy to pay for the new gears and postage. Thanks for all the time you and Ben have put into developing such a great Train. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This might sound stupid but are the factory fitted speakers actually wired up to the PCB or do they need to be soldered to the decoder if you decide to fit sound? Asking as I was having a nosey to see if it was just a straight fit the decoder and done job but I can't actually see any wires coming from the speakers and the way they are placed makes it seem a bit tight to do any soldering.

8 hours ago, Kaput said:

This might sound stupid but are the factory fitted speakers actually wired up to the PCB or do they need to be soldered to the decoder if you decide to fit sound? Asking as I was having a nosey to see if it was just a straight fit the decoder and done job but I can't actually see any wires coming from the speakers and the way they are placed makes it seem a bit tight to do any soldering.

What do the instructions say?

• RMweb Gold

Instructions say nothing other than the very generic fitting of a decoder and the only real mentions of sound fitting is instructions for the factory fitted sound models. - nothing whatsoever on how to upgrade a DC version to DCC sound.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kaput said:

This is my DCC fitted Pendo. You will need to solder the speaker to the chip. I converted a DCC Pendo to DC and vice versa. The solder tabs on the speaker are large and easy to solder.

Edit: Also the speaker comes out easily to give better access to solder.

IMG_2594.JPG

Edited by cutting42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Don't know if you have plans for a third run but the new Avanti livery doesn't look too shabby (at least the artist's impression look OK ;) ).

I quite like that, although it reminds me a bit of the old Midland Mainline "Pullman" scheme. 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Having managed to miss all the units that were being sold at Wharley I’m reduced to sniffing round eBay for a set, ideally DCC Sound, 5 car (layout limitations).. Obvious question I think, but If I was to buy an 11or 9 car variant, given that the coaches are dummy am I able to run them with reduced coaches?... Maybe one day I’ll get a bigger layout :)

Edited by Alank

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alank said:

Obvious question I think, but If I was to buy an 11or 9 car variant, given that the coaches are dummy am I able to run them with reduced coaches?... Maybe one day I’ll get a bigger layout :)

Hi

Yes it is possible to run with a reduced number of coaches.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Clarity

1 hour ago, Alank said:

Hi all,

Having managed to miss all the units that were being sold at Wharley I’m reduced to sniffing round eBay for a set, ideally DCC Sound, 5 car (layout limitations).. Obvious question I think, but If I was to buy an 11or 9 car variant, given that the coaches are dummy am I able to run them with reduced coaches?... Maybe one day I’ll get a bigger layout :)

Yes, easily. I ran mine on a test loop with 2 power cars and 2 coaches when testing originally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alank said:

Hi all,

Given that Virgin will be gone in a week and there will be new liveries for both the Pendolino and the Voyagers - you never know what the new year may bring from RevolutioN.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/12/2019 at 11:47, woodenhead said:

Given that Virgin will be gone in a week and there will be new liveries for both the Pendolino and the Voyagers - you never know what the new year may bring from RevolutioN.

I was thinking that when I bought one yesterday, but so much time invested in travelling from the Midlands to London on this train that it has a small place in my heart :)

Arrived today, way more excited to set it up than I should be for a grown man.... Running it with just 5 cars, works fine. Mine was DCC with lights in first, haven't quite figured out if they are on a CV or just automatic yet, I'm assuming being first class that are fitted to the power cars only (fitted by revolution).

• RMweb Gold

Hello. Alank,

As John says, the table lamps in first work in all the models, DC and DCC, and are permanently on.

Plug-and-play lightbars are available that provide full coach interior illumination for all the vehicles.

cheers

Ben A.