N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Premium

How can you buy two 11 car sets though, that's two pledges?

I guess you'd have to sign up twice with two different email accounts. Thus enter two pledges and pay postage twice. Not the end of the world I guess. Probably what I'll end up doing.

Well over 5% there already!

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

Click on the 11 car pledge then enter £570 as the pledge amount.

That will get you 2 11 car sets

Alistair

Very good! So I could just amend my pledge in January to be two sets. Great to see how quickly it's going up!

• RMweb Gold

I can't answer questions quickly enough!

If you want more than one of something (and there isn't a relevant bundle) then add costs together and add on P&P.

So:

2 sets P&P to the UK is £15 (not £20) or the EU £25

3 sets P&P to the UK is £20 or the EU £30

If you send us a message once you have pledged to confirm which rewards you want it will save us emailing you later to ask!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

I agree both Mike and Ben doing a wonderful job. The Pendolino website and the Kickstarter page really do have  a very professional feel to them.

Now up to 60 backers.

I notice that you can easily amend your pledge so will be keeping an eye on it right up to the end and if it needs jsut a few more then I may well add another Pendolino to the pledge.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Whilst it doesn't fit in with the current project, Modern Image is my first interest and I've always had a thing for the WCML. I also think this method of funding, if successful, could open the door to other classes that might never see the light of day through normal channels, so for that reason, i'm in! Pledge made. 

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone - it has been a great start.  We hit 10% of our goal within 12 hours in a period when we would expect most people to be asleep!

I completely agree with TomE that if this works it could be a great way of funding a wide variety of projects that perhaps a manufacturer would not be prepared to gamble on - in effect you prove the market exists as the starting point.

For this to succeed we can't emphasise enough that we need to get the message round - if you can think of any innovative ways of spreading the message please let Ben and I know!

Thanks for all the support - it is much appreciated!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Okay, looks like I am backer #81... Don't need a Pendolino, but then again, I don't need the 8 Bullets and 1 Eurostar I cannot fit onto my current layout either. I think this project is really important for the development of N gauge in the UK, and certainly a signal of intent to actually do something to address the lack of modern EMUs. Success here will open opportunities for all sorts of exciting developments in the future.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Great idea about the T-shirts, shame we didn't think of it sooner!

For anyone who is coming to Warley this weekend, we would appreciate any time you can spare.

With thousands of people attending this is a great chance to spread the word.  There'll be flyers and information on numerous layouts (inc Banbury and Hinskey Yard) and of course on the DEMU stand (B50) and the Rapido/Locomotion stand (E22) but it may be that lots of potential backers don't see them.

MIke and I will be doing the rounds (I suspect Jason will be inundated with people looking at his APT-E test shots) but we are only two, and will of course need to spend time on the stand as well.

In the spirit of the crowd/community nature of this project, we would be hugely grateful if anyone who can come and support us on the day by, say, grabbing a dozen flyers and handing them out while walking around the show themselves.

The pledging so far has been amazing: we're now at £31k and if we get to 20% of our target (£42k) then according to Kickstarter's own statistics we have an 88% chance of reaching our goal. 

So we are reaching the position of saying we have a great chance with this but I think this weekend is *really* important to reaching that target!

cheers

Ben A.

OK well 85 backers and 31,122 already pledged, like Mike said rather surprising to hit the 10% so fast but that's great news just need to keep spreading the word!

On  a side note if things are successful, with the pledges and we get the model(s), what would people be looking a in the future?

Just interesting to see although not in my region which I am modelling, what about the ABB Networker family of EMU and DMUs

Then for a single body design you have 5 different classes to have a go at with both third rail and OHLE EMU fleet in there!

I know this is getting a bit ahead but well if this goes well may as well start thinking in advanced as it has already been said this could very well be a future mechanism of getting more models on the market.

If a kick start fails but has very serious interest then the manufactures will take notice, like Jason said if we miss target (don't want that to happen) but are close and there is serious interest then Rapido would still probably go with it as a general release as part of their catalogue. 

• RMweb Gold

As Ben says - I think that what happens this weekend at Warley and just after is crucial in keeping the momentum going.

If you have any friends who might be interested in a Pendolino but who don't read mags much or use forums like this, then please let them know about the project.  They are precisely the people that we will find it most difficult to reach.

The Networker family are being worked on as 3D prints by the same guy who did the 165/6.  There are other obvious families of units...

Ben and I have been up front from day 1 that we saw this type of mechanism as being a great opportunity for modellers and that we would look at other schemes in the future if this is successful (and we would be willing to help others interested in similar schemes - we have learnt alot along the way and done some things well and some could be better!).

But let's not get ahead of ourselves - we have had a great start (18 hours in and 15% raised) but we are still a long way from making this happen!  While it is great to know that Rapido might consider it as a general release, at the moment I think the crucial points are:

- that the modelling community needs to prove that demand exists for this model

- secondly that we are offering a substantial discount on a normal retail price - one of the great benefits of this type of direct from manufacturer scheme

Cheers, Mike