Raw data sought - Nasmyth Wilson industrial locomotive

Hi PGH - It was the builder of that 7mm version shown on your layout who kindly sent me his own drawings of the loco., enabling me to build an EM version. I've attached a photo. for comparison.

attachicon.gifWP_20151018_16_39_31_Pro.jpg

Lovely model of a locomotive that has fascinated me for years!

I realise that there are copyright issues, but any chance of you being able to put a copy of the drawings on this forum please.

Chris.

I realise that there are copyright issues, but any chance of you being able to put a copy of the drawings on this forum please.

Chris.

I also have a copy of the drawing referred to but, from what the original builder - who has the copyright - told me at the time, I think he would not like to see the drawing published on this forum.

Could copies be made available just to interested individuals? Perhaps commercially i.e. paid for, or maybe with a donation to charity? Obviously the decision would be one by the originator of the drawings.

Chris.

Thank you, but they are not mine to distribute - would that I had the talent!

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi - I'm investigating the feasibility of producing a 3mm model of this locomotive for the Berliner Bahn/Zeuke TT 0-8-0 chassis used under their BR81 and DR92 locos. 

Recognising that drawings might not be available, could somebody please supply the most vital statistics, such as length over headstocks, height over cab/chimney and wheelbase? Wheel diameter was quoted as 3' 6" above, but I can't find the other dimensions. 

Thanks in advance! 

Mike 

Edited by maridunian
Corrected wheel diameter

16 hours ago, maridunian said:

Hi - I'm investigating the feasibility of producing a 3mm model of this locomotive for the Berliner Bahn/Zeuke TT 0-8-0 chassis used under their BR81 and DR92 locos. 

Recognising that drawings might not be available, could somebody please supply the most vital statistics, such as length over headstocks, height over cab/chimney and wheelbase? Wheel diameter was quoted as 3' 3" above, but I can't find the other dimensions. 

Thanks in advance! 

Mike 

Length over headstocks - 26' 9"

width over running plate - 8' 5"

Wheels - 3' 6"

Wheelbase - 4' + 4' + 4'

Height of cab from rail - 12'

Height of boiler from rail - 10'

Height of chimney from rail - 12' 4"

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again to @Barclay for his vital statistics.

I have used these to scale the side elevation maker's photograph higher up the thread in order to draft a body-shell for 3D printing in 3mm scale. My goal is to produce a model for the Zeuke chassis mentioned above, so I've also created a 3D blank of the chassis which can be used to hollow out a suitable cavity under the body-shell, basically subtracting some of the material added in stage 1.

845324772_Screenshot2021-04-17at14_08_59.png.df2d5c35b3c4f00ec9ead2b1053755dc.png

The Zeuke footplate punches through my footplate around the smokebox but will be flush so that's Ok. Other tight spots have been tweaked and adjusted away. 

I've uploaded a first draft body-shell to Shapeways and now await the results in a week or so. If it works, I shall probably offer this for sale. The renders can be seen online at https://www.shapeways.com/product/2LF5D9NGJ/tt-nasmyth-wilson-0-8-0

Fingers, etc all crossed!

Mike

Edited by maridunian

On 17/04/2021 at 14:24, maridunian said:

Thanks again to @Barclay for his vital statistics.

I have used these to scale the side elevation maker's photograph higher up the thread in order to draft a body-shell for 3D printing in 3mm scale. My goal is to produce a model for the Zeuke chassis mentioned above, so I've also created a 3D blank of the chassis which can be used to hollow out a suitable cavity under the body-shell, basically subtracting some of the material added in stage 1.

845324772_Screenshot2021-04-17at14_08_59.png.df2d5c35b3c4f00ec9ead2b1053755dc.png

The Zeuke footplate punches through my footplate around the smokebox but will be flush so that's Ok. Other tight spots have been tweaked and adjusted away. 

I've uploaded a first draft body-shell to Shapeways and now await the results in a week or so. If it works, I shall probably offer this for sale. The renders can be seen online at https://www.shapeways.com/product/2LF5D9NGJ/tt-nasmyth-wilson-0-8-0

Fingers, etc all crossed!

Mike

Any chance of a 4mm version of this please?

I'll have a go at scratching the chassis. Got the wheels, Got Jamieson valve gear too.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Any chance of a 4mm version of this please?

I'll have a go at scratching the chassis. Got the wheels, Got Jamieson valve gear too.

Well, let's see how it turns out. A model scaled from a photo and adjusted to fit an an existing chassis probably won't be improved by growing it 33%... 

Mike 

2 hours ago, maridunian said:

Well, let's see how it turns out. A model scaled from a photo and adjusted to fit an an existing chassis probably won't be improved by growing it 33%... 

Mike 

Point taken.
Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Well, here's the first print just back from Shapeways, unwashed and unfettled.

_20210424_184619.JPG.866decfe0a0f242d50dc814ebbb6b01e.JPG

It appears to fit the chassis, (always reassuring) which is going to need surgery at both ends. The print includes new buffer beams and steps, not yet fitted. 

Lots of measuring and design tweaking to do now, whilst trying to turn this print into an acceptable model. 

Watch this space!

Mike

Edited by maridunian
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 19:27, maridunian said:

Well, here's the first print just back from Shapeways, unwashed and unfettled.

_20210424_184619.JPG.866decfe0a0f242d50dc814ebbb6b01e.JPG

It appears to fit the chassis, (always reassuring) which is going to need surgery at both ends. The print includes new buffer beams and steps, not yet fitted. 

Lots of measuring and design tweaking to do now, whilst trying to turn this print into an acceptable model. 

Watch this space!

Mike

Just thought I'd report that my 3mm 3D printed Nasmyth is approaching completion: 

_20210506_204856.JPG.b8e4c0075326ab6f08d4a2cd67d469d8.JPG

I've made the print available from Shapeways

Mike 

Edited by maridunian
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1