Park Royal Railbus

ScRSG

In the December Railway Modeller there is a Heljan advert for the Park Royal Railbus, advising that release of all versions, Midland and Scottish regions, is due this month, so not long as the Heljan adverts are normally released when the model is being produced

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Then try Hereford Model Centre .They have 88001 in stock now.

88001 is the AC Cars Railbus recently re-released by Heljan to cover the orders to retailers which Heljan failed to supply when thre first batch was released on the market some time ago.

Just remembered (so reason for this edit) that me and my retailer are still waiting for 88002 to be re-released so that my backorder made many moons ago can be fulfilled. Hopefuly 88002 will appear before the Park Royal Railbus is released. 

Keith

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Collected the Railbus today from Arcadia, Shaw.

Looking at the instructions on how to get the body off so a decoder can be fitted, the usual vague Heljan instructions that don't seem to follow. Anybody got any ideas/tips about doing it.

Also wondering which decoder to use ! Whose using what ?

Otherwise a nice model.

If I remember correctly the W&M and AC Cars ones had different methods so there is no guarantee that the Park Royal version will be like either of them. Both of them had their pitfalls particularly in relation to the fitting of handrails. I am sure as soon as more of them are in the hands of us punters someone will come up with some good advice. I am waiting for an email from Liverpool to tell my mine is on the way.

Found the way into fit a decoder even though the instruction aren't that clear.

There are 4 recesses one near each wheel in the chassis underneath, insert a flat bladed screwdiver and twist so it leaves a gap and insert a piece of plasticard or similar. Repeat for each slot , 4 in total. The body should gently ease off.

The decoder ( 21 pin ) fits in the roof under the blue circuit board, be careful removing the VERY small screws holding the plastic bar in place. Lift the circuit board to fit the decoder. I found a 3 function decoder was enough ( Fct 0 Direction lights, Fct 1 Passenger space lights )

Then just follow the procedure in reverse to fit the body.  Found the Heljan instructions not that clear.

The Scottish Region version has a set of steps and wire handrails that should be removed before attempting to unclip the body from the chassis. On my model the steps weren't glued in which made disassembly all the easier (and equally reassembly afterwards). I feel that Heljan have made some improvement in this area over the previous railbuses where reoving the handrails without breaking the steps was a delicate and frustrating task. In addition two spare sets of steps and handrails are provided in the box in case the modeller breaks the fitted ones trying to get them off. Thank you Heljan!

ISTR many years ago someone using Airfix railbus cab windows to put in  a Clacton electric set. I wonder how many will chop up the Heljan version just to get the cab windows out for the same conversion??

ISTR many years ago someone using Airfix railbus cab windows to put in  a Clacton electric set. I wonder how many will chop up the Heljan version just to get the cab windows out for the same conversion??

Shouldn't need to, they are likely to be available as spares from Howes once on production, as an example:-

https://www.howesmodels.co.uk/product/Heljan%20class%20128%20DPU%20sprue%20C%20%28clear%29

I have been looking at the book BR first generation Diesel railbuses.

Excellent book. Ian Alan in Manchester had it half price at £9 recently.

Lots of good colour photos in it. One thing I noticed was the metal handrails on the top of the seats really stand out you can see them through the Windows really clearly. Painting them on the model would be an improvement. However if I was going to do that I would want to paint the interior. However I cannot find a colour picture of the interior.

Anyone know what colour the floor, seats and interior walls would have been painted?

And if you think I'm gonna make replacement buffers fer that yer very much mistaken.

Dave Franks.

ScRSG will be along in a moment with a cheeky comment, his was in the post apparently.

..aye they would be a bit tricky right enough..but I am sure a man of your talents could fabricate something?!

( Put me down for a set if you take the bait)

post-2371-0-19411000-1436652519_thumb.jpeg

I have been looking at the book BR first generation Diesel railbuses.

Excellent book. Ian Alan in Manchester had it half price at £9 recently.

Lots of good colour photos in it. One thing I noticed was the metal handrails on the top of the seats really stand out you can see them through the Windows really clearly. Painting them on the model would be an improvement. However if I was going to do that I would want to paint the interior. However I cannot find a colour picture of the interior.

Anyone know what colour the floor, seats and interior walls would have been painted?

I have been looking into this also as the interior will benefit from some contrasting colour.

The seat colour including the backs I am sure changed over the years but there is an excellent colour pic of 79970 in Scotland which clearly shows a blue interior close to the shade Heljan have picked..well done.

I thought I remembered them with a green moquette patterned seat covering but it could have been blue.

Either way it should be patterned with a lighter highlight plus light formica panels above windows.

As said it needs some contrasting colour but the blue is I am sure correct for a starting point.

The drivers desk is important as this can be seen easily and you need to pick out the main control handles on the desk in black with silver bases plus the surrounding desk black with red on the brake handle I would think.

As you say probably the most effective addition which is easy is the seatback rail in chrome and they continued down the sides of the seats I believe so quite prominent through the glazing.

Finally the thing does need weathered as the chassis was invariably brown brake dust except for the coils which were usually black.

I will also repaint the roof matt grey.. a bit lighter with the soot stains round the ventilators.

Change the destination screens to suit while the roof is off and thats it..beautiful model.

Davy, got mine on Friday (nice solid model, looks "right" and ran well straight out of the box) so looks like we've now got three plus your Dapol/Hollywood jobbie to run on Alloa (assuming Chas gets his eventually). Still trying to work out what the two "thingummies" are in the detail pack. Who's going to be first to find out how to change the destination blinds? (Finished that glass of red yet?)

Archived