Park Royal Railbus

ScRSG

Success! I took Chris Leigh's suggestion of using a largish, thin flat blade to ease the body off. Not a butter knife, ours aren't thin enough, rather a spatula I had from chemistry lab classes. The body slipped off after about a minute or so of careful wriggling. Decoder installation was then very easy. Now testing, programming and finding a driver and passengers.

Thanks,

Malcolm Turner

Calgary, Alberta

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

Not sure if this is the correct place and please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this DCC stuff, but is it possible to control the headlights and destination illumination separately?

Thanks in advance.

Evening all.

Not sure if this is the correct place and please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this DCC stuff, but is it possible to control the headlights and destination illumination separately?

Thanks in advance.

They are different LEDs, so I guess it might be possible but you would probably need to re-wire. Not sure the real thing would have run with headlights and no destination. Certainly wouldn't have expected to see it with destination on and headlights off. 

They are different LEDs, so I guess it might be possible but you would probably need to re-wire. Not sure the real thing would have run with headlights and no destination. Certainly wouldn't have expected to see it with destination on and headlights off. 

Thanks for the reply.

Think I'll leave it if it would mean rewiring. Would be fun to play around with the lights though. Guess I'll just have to be happy switching the interior lights on and off :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received my model of the Park Royal railbus.

I have noticed that what appear to be the handrails for the doors are not fitted and seem to be in a plastic bag that came with it with a few other bits. I don't actually know what they are for nor how to fit the handrails. Do they just click in place? Or do they need glueing?

Just ran the railbus for the first time this morning and it went well initially. I left it to run in and when I returned around 30 minutes later, it had stopped. No longer was it running or moving. I tried a different train and that one worked fine on the track but then when I put the Park Royal back on, it still would not move, although the lights came on in the direction it was facing. This happened with whatever direction I attempted to make it go. No movement but the headlights came on.

Not quite sure why it would just stop and then no longer move but it is a brand new model and I only took it out of the box this morning. Any ideas?

Just ran the railbus for the first time this morning and it went well initially. I left it to run in and when I returned around 30 minutes later, it had stopped. No longer was it running or moving. I tried a different train and that one worked fine on the track but then when I put the Park Royal back on, it still would not move, although the lights came on in the direction it was facing. This happened with whatever direction I attempted to make it go. No movement but the headlights came on.

Not quite sure why it would just stop and then no longer move but it is a brand new model and I only took it out of the box this morning. Any ideas?

Are you running on DC or DCC?

If DCC, try removing the decoder and testing it on DC if possible.  Try the decoder in a different loco and try a different decoder in the railbus.

• 1 year later...

Thanks 65288 that answers just about every question I had regarding the early 60s rail bus service!

We run the Park Royals on our current layout Alloa.

Our new layout under construction is a 40ft long finescale (hopefully) offering of Larbert around the same period so again the railbuses along with a Gloucester class 100 under construction will figure.

I note you had no details of the Alloa Larbert service however we do hopefully have enough info regarding this service which was a simple Alloa to Larbert via the Throsk bridge.

We will have Alloa at the Perth show in June this year so if you are there make yourself known.

Thanks again and very much appreciated.

Dave.

Note your image of 65288 with your dad on the footplate.

I thought we had a 65288 on Alloa but haven't turned up a pic however I have attached an image of 65243.

post-2371-0-00903800-1490467763_thumb.jpg

Aforementioned railbus at Alloa.

post-2371-0-96131000-1490467809_thumb.jpg

post-2371-0-69489200-1490467825_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave.

attachicon.gif2010 09 22_0006.JPG

Thank you,

I have seen Alloa quite a few times now and always find it most enjoyable.  I have vague memories of passing through Alloa when the line was still open.  Occasionally we used to catch the train from Dunfermline to Stirling.  Aside from 68101, 65288 is probably the most photographed locomotive allocated to Dunfermline.  It was withdrawn from Dunfermline shed on the same day that 65345 was withdrawn from Thornton Junction, thereby earning them both the titles of last 19th century locomotives in Scotland, the last pre grouping locomotives in Scotland, last ex NB locomotives and last ex LNER locomotives in Scotland and the very last steam locomotives in Scotland.  I was there when the photograph of my Dad in 65288 was taken at Dunfermline shed.  On that day I managed to cab 65929, which didn't last quite as long as 65288, but eventually became one of the last two Gresley locomotives, withdrawn on 22nd April 1967 along with Thornton's 65901.  I'm the one on the right.

If you do model 65288 it had different sized front buffer heads!

Brilliant pic with your Dad..you obviously received a first class education in railways.

Didn't know about the buffer head size on 65288 but will keep this in mind.

Closest we have to the locos you mention is 65903.

post-2371-0-77648500-1490489007_thumb.jpeg

Dave.

Wow a fantastic bit of research and all now duly printed off.

Thanks for all your trouble and I will now collate this with the details we already have.

We do have copies of working timetables for the period but had not gone through same to produce such detail as you have provided.

The Gloucester I am putting together is from Worsley Works etches and is being built on a Bachmann Derby Lightweight as the exposed chassis integral

solebars are also a feature of these units.

Its kind of  stalled at the moment but only due to other more pressing issues not because of any problems in the build.

Its going together well and hopefully will be a fair representation of these classic early dmus.

Attached a pic taken a while ago..don't have any more recent but the gutters are now on and the roof properly profiled.

post-2371-0-15090800-1490564662_thumb.jpeg

Dave.

Archived