SBB Freight Flows Help!

m0rris

Evening all,

I'm a slightly indecisive modeller who is currently having a go at N, specifically dabbling in British and Swiss N before I take the plunge and make a proper layout of one of them. In general I have found SBB to be pretty easy to research and source models of (most if not all of the main modern loco types are modelled in N which certainly helps) and the passenger side is heavily photgraphed which is a bonus. As is always the case when modelling and researching, there is unfortunately, always a snag which is that I have been struggling to get a good idea of SBB Cargo's main freight flows...

The typical scenes to be found on the net are of Re. 420s pootling about with wagonload freight services and TRAXX family locos on intermodal services... For someone new to this game, do RMWebbers have any tips for finding out more information/correcting any errors in my assessments? Any help will be much appreciated!

In the meantime, I shall leave you all with a pretty picture of an SBB Cargo loco awaiting its next turn.

800px-2012_07_31_05_Re_4_4_II_11380.JPG

• 1 month later...

Now that the older Ae 6/6 have been retired from regular service, it's indeed singles and doubles of Re 4/4 II (420s) for wagonload, with Re 6/6 (620s) for heavier wagonload and petrol trains. Sets of each a Re 4/4 II or III with a Re 6/6 are used on the Gotthard line. Triples of Re 4/4 II or doubles of Re 6/6 often occur in order to avoid locomotives running light.

BLS runs some freight business with pairs of Re 425 and a handful of Re 465 run intermodals for COOP. And on the more esoteric side, every now and then some privately-owned Ae 4/7 or Re 4/4 I makes an outing on spot-hire freight.

Archived