Can DCC Concepts 4/8 way boards be cut?

davepallant

I have some DCC Concepts ADS-8FX boards on their way to me.

On one of my layout boards I will have a spare pair of point drivers on a ADS-8FX and on another layout board I will be short a pair. The block of 8 point drivers looks suspiciously like four of the dual driver boards joined together. Has anyone cut a single block off of a ADS-8FX to use elsewhere? I know the ADS-2 and 2FX are also available but it seems a shame to have 2 that I already have going spare.

The alternative will be to run a cable across between the two boards carrying the two point drivers which is possible but messy.

Dave Pallant

Hi Dave

Not tried with one of these boards but have done with a dcc concepts AD4 (a bank of 4x AD1 decoders) which I assume is made of the same base material. Long story short - I burnt out one decoder which stopped the other three from working, hacking off the burnt section gave me a useable (and unique) AD3.

It's not easy and, as soon as you offer up a saw blade to it, you'll void any form of warranty. As said, I have done it, but you need to have a close inspection of the etching as to whether any of the internal circuitry is connected board to board, If it is I wouldn't bother. On the AD4 the only connection between boards was the power input connections so didn't cause me too much hassle. I used a fine toothed razor saw 'very very carefully'.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I've found where the power jumps between the boards on the top surface adjacent to the DCC/DC feed on each module. The other thing I had to watch out for was a thin track around the LED pads on the underneath of the board. I ended up cutting from both sides with a razor saw to ensure I missed all the important bits before cutting all of the way through but the two parts seem to be working fine!

Thanks

Dave

Archived