Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

looking excellent Russ  nice to see eastern region and east Anglia  worth rebuilding will follow this one.

Cheers, still loads to do but the plan is to do one board at a time . Started from the terminus and I will work round the room as time permits 

• Like 1

My goodness Cley has grown somewhat since I last drove through it a few weeks ago. Then it was a sleepy very small village some distance from the sea with the River Glaven just drdged and reopened up to Cley for the first time for may a year. Of course in Roman times it would have been right on the coast ( or under it) as the village of Wiveton (a mile in land of Cley) was a major port for many centuries until the river began to slit up. I'm wondering what made Cley grow into such a substantial town?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, westerner said:

My goodness Cley has grown somewhat since I last drove through it a few weeks ago. Then it was a sleepy very small village some distance from the sea with the River Glaven just drdged and reopened up to Cley for the first time for may a year. Of course in Roman times it would have been right on the coast ( or under it) as the village of Wiveton (a mile in land of Cley) was a major port for many centuries until the river began to slit up. I'm wondering what made Cley grow into such a substantial town?

You have hit the nail on the head there, I've surmised that the graven didn't silt up and Cley grew into a substantial port with the mainline continuing from Norwich,  there is also a route to Lynn which crosses the Glaven on a swing bridge at Glandford and then to Wiveton.

It has also become a major holiday resort and there will be summer Saturdays extras from the Midlands and the north 

I'm glad it never happened in real life as I would imagine massive decline would have set in after the period modelled 

As a local resident I prefer it as it is!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit more progress today installed street lights on the terrace of houses, they are those cheap Chinese ones sprayed in sand effect paint, they aren't the greatest but closest thing you can get to cast concrete 50s lamps. 

Also put more static grass down and fencing. 

I'm dreading doing the rear board as that is all countryside with a campsite and I've realised static grass doesn't go that far and is quite expensive 

DSC_0334.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just sitting and taking a breather whilst waiting for some plaster to go off and thought main board is starting to come together nicely now 

Excuse the mess but general idea can be seen, still needs signals and such 

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0340.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

looking good shame no B17,s  but like it coal yard well executed.

Cheers,  may possibly have a steam heat B1 at some time in the future when the layout is more complete. There are carriage sidings where the concrete retaining wall is in the distance 

• Like 2

On 01/01/2020 at 17:31, russ p said:

A bit more progress today installed street lights on the terrace of houses, they are those cheap Chinese ones sprayed in sand effect paint, they aren't the greatest but closest thing you can get to cast concrete 50s lamps.

Just a thought. Could part of the upper section be cut off like this:

LampPost.jpg.4ecf2c1cd9a21eb418c5dff7654fa1fe.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2020 at 00:38, BernardTPM said:

Just a thought. Could part of the upper section be cut off like this:

LampPost.jpg.4ecf2c1cd9a21eb418c5dff7654fa1fe.jpg

There is an old one in wells that has an upper section similar to those models. 

Hadn't realised that post had such a lean, will have to sort that out!

• RMweb Gold

Slowly working my way down the main board. 

I've built a yard where coaches congregate after dropping day trippers off at the sea front where the drivers can go in the cafe

I've also done a petrol station using a metcalfe kit I built years ago one of a few card buildings on the layout. 

As can be seen the track in the yard has yet to be painted and ballasted. 

Once the layout is completed I will then get round to weathering Road vehicles. 

DSC_0359.JPG

DSC_0353.JPG

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got the bridge sides yesterday very impressed with the quality from a company called torrid laser 

I will build the sides up a bit to give them more relief. 

Tried a test fit yesterday 

IMG-20200302-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...