Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

On 13/11/2020 at 13:08, russ p said:

A bit more progress on the quayside this morning 

DSC_0960.JPG

I know it is a while ago, but might I ask how you achieved such narrow flangeways on your inset track, particularly around points? Your quayside branch would work as a self contained micro layout; I like your roadside running track overgrown with weeds, too - could easily be used as a "scenic fiddle stick" for a micro layout (idea filed away!)

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I know it is a while ago, but might I ask how you achieved such narrow flangeways on your inset track, particularly around points? Your quayside branch would work as a self contained micro layout; I like your roadside running track overgrown with weeds, too - could easily be used as a "scenic fiddle stick" for a micro layout (idea filed away!)

Steve S

HI Steve,  the flangeways were done using an old lime coach bogie with pizza cutter wheels as an actual cutter through das stone coloured clay. 

The cobbles were done using a cobbled impregnated roller 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Great work Russ - don't let 37425 distract you from this :smile_mini2:

Cheers Dave.  I'm actually off tor two weeks using unused annual leave so hopefully get some work done on the layout. 

Hopefully 425 will sill be there when I get back. I prefer 419 as I remember working it to boulby in the liveries in today.  Hopefully they can put the numbers in the correct position sometime 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, B McG said:

Absolutely top work there, love the dockside.  I can only hope I get close on my attempt at a similar harbour scene!  

Cheers

Bryant

The dockside is done with das stone coloured clay and a cobbled roller 

• RMweb Gold

Today ive made the barrier for the bridge which prevents craft from using one side of it, the other side of the bridge would have the haulage ropes for turning the bridge 

Ive also put the back scene up

DSC_1198.JPG

IMG-20210129-WA0041.jpeg

Edited by russ p
  • Like 17

Bit of a daft question perhaps, but what colour did you paint your river before applying the PVA? In the picture of the wet paint it looks greenish/black but when dried it looks grey. Then when you coated it with PVA, it has changed back to olive greenish with hints of blue! I struggled to get a water colour on my earlier version of Woodhey Quay, so I am all ears, so to speak, for any hints you might impart!

The riverside looks fantastic - I particularly like the quayside buildings opposite the railway quay, which look very natural.

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Bit of a daft question perhaps, but what colour did you paint your river before applying the PVA? In the picture of the wet paint it looks greenish/black but when dried it looks grey. Then when you coated it with PVA, it has changed back to olive greenish with hints of blue! I struggled to get a water colour on my earlier version of Woodhey Quay, so I am all ears, so to speak, for any hints you might impart!

The riverside looks fantastic - I particularly like the quayside buildings opposite the railway quay, which look very natural.

Steve S

Hi Steve 

I painted the riverbed with green wood stain and brown paint 

The blue is a reaction but seems to dissappear as it dries 

Its maybe a little dark to be honest but its dried very shiny so reflects the sky in the back scene as real water reflects the sky

Thanks for your words on the buildings,  the yellow building is the pub in beckhole,  Yorkshire repainted to give it more of a norfolk look.

I remember being thrown out of it for being underage in the early eighties! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the longer term I will build a new repair shed to replace the metcalf bus garage based one i did twenty odd years ago 

I'm not rushing the layout but would like to get it into a state to operate before light nights and better weather arrives and my free time turns to cars

There is still a fair amount of ballasting to do and many more signals to build 

The next job is fitting the colourlight signals around the main yard before ballasting the rest of it 

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates - and slightly startled to see that all that detail around the riverside is just a small corner of your layout! (I mentioned earlier that I thought the goods branch to the docks would in itself make a good micro layout for many modellers, but you have so much more besides!)

Have you repainted a Gresley brake coach to accompany your Bachmann breakdown crane? I've only (so far) seen either garish yellow coaches or old Triang red breakdown coaches for sale!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Embarrassing misspelling corrected!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Thanks for the updates - and slightly startled to see that all that detail around the riverside is just a small corner of your layout! (I mentioned earlier that I thought the goods branch to the docks would in itself make a good micro layout for many modellers, but you have so much more besides!)

Have you repainted a Gresley brake coach to accompany your Bachmann brakedown crane? I've only (so far) seen either garish yellow coaches or old Triang red brakedown coaches for sale!

Steve S

Thanks Steve,  I've preordered some Bachmann six wheelers to go with the crane but not sure if they would still be around late sixties.  The coach with it at the moment is Hornby gresley I picked up at a local swapmeet  They were in a set with a crane and N2

Edited by russ p
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1