Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Powerhaul 70 Pey said:

That river and dock lands look brilliant Russ shown off with some good photographs.  Is the dock edge scalemodel scenery canal piling or did you make it yourself?  If it was scalemodel scenery can you easily cut it down so not as high?

Thanks.

Peter.

Thanks for that Peter 

The dock edging is gaugemaster fordhampton,  actually removed faller.

It can be cut easily with a disc cutter.

To be honest I didn't realise scale model scenery did it. I've used a lot of their stuff pway huts, bus shelters , lighting towers and yet to be installed road markings 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Looks brilliant !

This is truly a “ model railway “ unlike my little 10’ planks !

I like the pylons too - don’t see that modelled often enough 

Thanks Rob

The pylons are just the old Hornby ex triang ones but when painted in don't look half bad

• Like 1

Hello Russ

That's looking really impressive. I've just been catching up a few pages and thought 'I wonder what the whole layout looks like'- and the next page has pictures of the whole layout. As with the original Cley, you've caught the 'feel' of a full sized railway, packing in an awful lot but at the same time not making it feel crowded as so many others have done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello Russ

That's looking really impressive. I've just been catching up a few pages and thought 'I wonder what the whole layout looks like'- and the next page has pictures of the whole layout. As with the original Cley, you've caught the 'feel' of a full sized railway, packing in an awful lot but at the same time not making it feel crowded as so many others have done.

Thank you Derek,  I'm glad people think I've got it right I've actually ran out of space i wanted to include some grain loading sidings  but that would have been at the expense of  the engineers sidings which I feel generates more interesting traffic 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Thank you Derek,  I'm glad people think I've got it right I've actually ran out of space i wanted to include some grain loading sidings  but that would have been at the expense of  the engineers sidings which I feel generates more interesting traffic 

The only two very minor observations, if I may:

a) the demolished station- given how little rubble remains, it's likely it's been closed for some time- perhaps some more foliage over it.

b) would the TMD of that era have stone ballast or ash from a previous steam depot? Personally I think it looks right with loads of thick oily sludge over the tracks so you'd never know (but then, unlike you I don't have to walk across contaminated ballast going to work).

The water looks really good, just like the original Cley. That's really important, given your location. The engineers siding looks right to me- again it's something that few seem to capture the 'feel' of, but given your profession it's hardly surprising you got that bit just right.

You've achieved an awful lot there, Russ. Far more than I have in the same time.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

The only two very minor observations, if I may:

a) the demolished station- given how little rubble remains, it's likely it's been closed for some time- perhaps some more foliage over it.

b) would the TMD of that era have stone ballast or ash from a previous steam depot? Personally I think it looks right with loads of thick oily sludge over the tracks so you'd never know (but then, unlike you I don't have to walk across contaminated ballast going to work).

The water looks really good, just like the original Cley. That's really important, given your location. The engineers siding looks right to me- again it's something that few seem to capture the 'feel' of, but given your profession it's hardly surprising you got that bit just right.

You've achieved an awful lot there, Russ. Far more than I have in the same time.

I've ballasted the depot in stone as that's how thornaby was and I have imagined mine is of similar age 

The transfer line through the yard will be stone as that was probably upgraded when the depot was built. 

With the closed station it wouldn't surprise me if that dodgy former station master in the old house has been selling the rubble!  Police always seem to be there 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Done some work on the DMU stabling sidings and crane /tank road tonight that road is also the dcc programing track

The two DMU roads hold a four car set each

DSC_1398.JPG

DSC_1397.JPG

DSC_1396.JPG

DSC_1395.JPG

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Ballasted and painted the track on the yard board last night so I've put some stock on for effect tonight.  Eventually all stock will be weathered but I want the layout properly runnable first 

DSC_1407.JPG

DSC_1403.JPG

DSC_1406.JPG

DSC_1408.JPG

• Like 17

That really looks great.

I only had a few trips over to Norwich around 1980, but I can certainly see the inspiration,

and there is plenty of atmosphere there, so well done

cheers  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

That really looks great.

I only had a few trips over to Norwich around 1980, but I can certainly see the inspiration,

and there is plenty of atmosphere there, so well done

cheers  

Cheers Kenny thats what I've tried to portray 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Plenty of operational potential !

Cheers Rob, thats the idea. When things get better have a few mates round play trains and have a few beers 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Done some work on the town centre,  the vehicles will get weathered in the future.  The lines in the road are nowhere near as prominent than the camera has picked up

DSC_1462.JPG

DSC_1460.JPG

DSC_1459.JPG

DSC_1457.JPG

DSC_1456.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Brilliant stuff Russ.   Really has a sense of space.  The track diagrams look railway rather than 'model railway'.  Cracking.

Cheers,  didn't really plan the layout used what points I had and imagined my early days on BR

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

How about a vidio of the layout it would really be film that would show off your magnifecent work you have carried out.How any people will run the layout when you are not building your masterpiece?

At the moment it isn't actually running, once its up and running which hopefully  shouldn't be to long  im hoping to do some on train videos using a miniature camera 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, andyram said:

This is an excellent layout. A real masterpiece. I love the bridge. Glad I managed to catch up on it.

Thanks Andy,  good to see you Saturday.  I've put some of the figures on the layout yesterday I got from you

• Like 1