Jump to content

Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus


Recommended Posts

That river and dock lands look brilliant Russ shown off with some good photographs.  Is the dock edge scalemodel scenery canal piling or did you make it yourself?  If it was scalemodel scenery can you easily cut it down so not as high?

Thanks.

Peter.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Powerhaul 70 Pey said:

That river and dock lands look brilliant Russ shown off with some good photographs.  Is the dock edge scalemodel scenery canal piling or did you make it yourself?  If it was scalemodel scenery can you easily cut it down so not as high?

Thanks.

Peter.

 

Thanks for that Peter 

The dock edging is gaugemaster fordhampton,  actually removed faller.

It can be cut easily with a disc cutter.

To be honest I didn't realise scale model scenery did it. I've used a lot of their stuff pway huts, bus shelters , lighting towers and yet to be installed road markings 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks brilliant !

This is truly a “ model railway “ unlike my little 10’ planks !

 

I like the pylons too - don’t see that modelled often enough 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Looks brilliant !

This is truly a “ model railway “ unlike my little 10’ planks !

 

I like the pylons too - don’t see that modelled often enough 

 

Thanks Rob

The pylons are just the old Hornby ex triang ones but when painted in don't look half bad

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Russ

 

That's looking really impressive. I've just been catching up a few pages and thought 'I wonder what the whole layout looks like'- and the next page has pictures of the whole layout. As with the original Cley, you've caught the 'feel' of a full sized railway, packing in an awful lot but at the same time not making it feel crowded as so many others have done.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Hello Russ

 

That's looking really impressive. I've just been catching up a few pages and thought 'I wonder what the whole layout looks like'- and the next page has pictures of the whole layout. As with the original Cley, you've caught the 'feel' of a full sized railway, packing in an awful lot but at the same time not making it feel crowded as so many others have done.

 

 

 

 

Thank you Derek,  I'm glad people think I've got it right I've actually ran out of space i wanted to include some grain loading sidings  but that would have been at the expense of  the engineers sidings which I feel generates more interesting traffic 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, russ p said:

 

 

Thank you Derek,  I'm glad people think I've got it right I've actually ran out of space i wanted to include some grain loading sidings  but that would have been at the expense of  the engineers sidings which I feel generates more interesting traffic 

The only two very minor observations, if I may:

 

a) the demolished station- given how little rubble remains, it's likely it's been closed for some time- perhaps some more foliage over it.

b) would the TMD of that era have stone ballast or ash from a previous steam depot? Personally I think it looks right with loads of thick oily sludge over the tracks so you'd never know (but then, unlike you I don't have to walk across contaminated ballast going to work).

The water looks really good, just like the original Cley. That's really important, given your location. The engineers siding looks right to me- again it's something that few seem to capture the 'feel' of, but given your profession it's hardly surprising you got that bit just right.

 

You've achieved an awful lot there, Russ. Far more than I have in the same time.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

The only two very minor observations, if I may:

 

a) the demolished station- given how little rubble remains, it's likely it's been closed for some time- perhaps some more foliage over it.

b) would the TMD of that era have stone ballast or ash from a previous steam depot? Personally I think it looks right with loads of thick oily sludge over the tracks so you'd never know (but then, unlike you I don't have to walk across contaminated ballast going to work).

The water looks really good, just like the original Cley. That's really important, given your location. The engineers siding looks right to me- again it's something that few seem to capture the 'feel' of, but given your profession it's hardly surprising you got that bit just right.

 

You've achieved an awful lot there, Russ. Far more than I have in the same time.

 

I've ballasted the depot in stone as that's how thornaby was and I have imagined mine is of similar age 

The transfer line through the yard will be stone as that was probably upgraded when the depot was built. 

With the closed station it wouldn't surprise me if that dodgy former station master in the old house has been selling the rubble!  Police always seem to be there 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Done some work on the DMU stabling sidings and crane /tank road tonight that road is also the dcc programing track

The two DMU roads hold a four car set each

DSC_1398.JPG

DSC_1397.JPG

DSC_1396.JPG

DSC_1395.JPG

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballasted and painted the track on the yard board last night so I've put some stock on for effect tonight.  Eventually all stock will be weathered but I want the layout properly runnable first 

DSC_1407.JPG

DSC_1403.JPG

DSC_1406.JPG

DSC_1408.JPG

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites

That really looks great.

I only had a few trips over to Norwich around 1980, but I can certainly see the inspiration,

and there is plenty of atmosphere there, so well done

 

cheers  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

That really looks great.

I only had a few trips over to Norwich around 1980, but I can certainly see the inspiration,

and there is plenty of atmosphere there, so well done

 

cheers  

 

Cheers Kenny thats what I've tried to portray 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Done a bit more work on the carriage sidings and station yard. Still signals to add and street scene to finish above the railway 

DSC_1446.JPG

DSC_1438.JPG

DSC_1443.JPG

DSC_1447.JPG

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Plenty of operational potential !

 

Cheers Rob, thats the idea. When things get better have a few mates round play trains and have a few beers 

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Done some work on the town centre,  the vehicles will get weathered in the future.  The lines in the road are nowhere near as prominent than the camera has picked up

DSC_1462.JPG

DSC_1460.JPG

DSC_1459.JPG

DSC_1457.JPG

DSC_1456.JPG

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clagmeister said:

Brilliant stuff Russ.   Really has a sense of space.  The track diagrams look railway rather than 'model railway'.  Cracking.

 

 

Cheers,  didn't really plan the layout used what points I had and imagined my early days on BR

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a vidio of the layout it would really be film that would show off your magnifecent work you have carried out.How any people will run the layout when you are not building your masterpiece?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

How about a vidio of the layout it would really be film that would show off your magnifecent work you have carried out.How any people will run the layout when you are not building your masterpiece?

 

At the moment it isn't actually running, once its up and running which hopefully  shouldn't be to long  im hoping to do some on train videos using a miniature camera 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.