Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

Only just stumbled over this (my bad, I'm slacking) and very impressed. I've always planned on some kind of representation on Norwich and the lines around it and you've very much beaten me to it with a much better plan than the ones I've had! Keep up the good work, I'll be following with interest.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had another go at the river last night. I filled and smoothed over the ez water, thought I might cause a lot of damage by using a heat gun to remove it. So once the filler went off I painted it and added the PVA then dragged it to represent ripples. Its now starting to clear so fingers crossed it may be OK

Edited by russ p
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

got the river looking acceptable at last , it's still a bit milky in places but seems to be curing well. Ive never used pva for water before but would never use anything else now.

here are a few shots,probably on a summer Saturday with a pair of 25s taking happy holiday makers back to the Midlands after enjoying a week on the beach or at one of the holiday camps around Cley-on-Sea. I'm glad this is all pure fiction! !!

post-9362-0-34210900-1425495945_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-99417200-1425495956_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-21839000-1425495970_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-03289300-1425495987_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-64619400-1425496005_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-12674200-1425496022_thumb.jpg

post-9362-0-67642400-1425496045_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Derek, that PVA seems to get better by the day. I left it on Monday morning and it was very milky still but having returned home from working away this afternoon I'm quite pleased with it. I'm sure what little bits of white that remain should clear

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks ,that's what I set out to do. There's still loads to do. I think signalling will give it even more of an anglian atmosphere if I do it right. I've got some concrete posts somewhere, and also when the stock is weathered should improve things somewhat

One thing I've noticed a fair bit of in East Anglia is the remains of anti-invasion infrastructure- pill boxes, but also some far more subtle things than that- especially along rivers and estuaries. Just a small idea for later...

Really good work so far.

Edited by Derekstuart

• RMweb Gold

The next job to do is to complete the quayside buildings which at the moment are just stood on the layout. A gantry needs to be built similar to the one at Wells to load boats

• 1 month later...

There is a pill box near the concrete road bridge, I also have a model of a royal observer corps nuclear bunker I would like to plant somewhere

Hi Russ

Good to meet you this afternoon. Hope the garden railway wasn't too much of an anti-climax! On the subject of pill-boxes, there's the remains of one stranded on Kelling beach, an indication of just how far the sea has encroached in the last 70 years or so.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ

Good to meet you this afternoon. Hope the garden railway wasn't too much of an anti-climax! On the subject of pill-boxes, there's the remains of one stranded on Kelling beach, an indication of just how far the sea has encroached in the last 70 years or so.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard, I enjoyed seeing your railway this afternoon when I have spoken to my friend who has the two foot gauge I will let you know about the chap in Essex.

Have you ever noticed the bird watching hide on the hill after the Norfolk wildlife centre, that was once a royal observer corps nuclear bunker. We may not have too many industrial remains round here but there are loads of military remains.

Cheers

Russ

• Like 1

There was Royal observer corps bunker not far from me,saddley its been burnout.

but ive looked in few of  them in North wales.

Which are in good condition... :locomotive:

cheers neil..

Edited by class"66"
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

ROC bunkers or posts as they are officially known were actually very widespread there is a list of them here from subterrainia Britannica

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/category/nuclear-monitoring-posts

Most of the ones that are not derelict are properly secured these days but in the past the T key for class 20 engine room doors would fit the bunker hatch perfectly

• Like 1

In 1985/6, BT installed an updated comms and early warning system across the country, The ROC posts were the central control points for this, the idea being that observers fed data to the regional control centres who issued instructions to the civil defence points scattered around the country in everything from council bunkers and police stations to post offices and pubs. The work cost tens, maybe hundreds of millions and was declared obsolete within five years.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks, I haven't been well for the last year hence lack of progress. I'm hoping to recommence work shortly. First job which I have done a bit recently is finish the wiring and get it running on DCC. Then signalling which as it will be quite complex will not be working but posable

It's 66-68 so a VR would be a bit early

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...