Cley-on-Sea 1960s Norfolk mainline terminus

russ p

I think with all those modern buildings near the station there must have been a lot of bomb damage, surprised the station survived

I remember reading this a few years ago...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26261969

Apparently up to 679 bombs fell on the city and the map has now been restored and digital copies available for purchase. It's impossible to tell any detail without ordering a copy of the CD or visiting the archives.

Edit: This makes for quite an interesting read, too...

http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Website/raids.htm

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk was on the way home from many German bombing raids, almost all towns and villages got bombed with left overs at some point. I know someone at the sailing club who remembers a messerschmitt flying down Hoveton / Wroxham main street firing off its machine guns.

The village the sailing club is in is famous for the pub that was bombed, the bomb holes still show on the river bed survey.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2010/10/the-ferry-inn-horning-an-eventful-history/

Even The tiny village I live in got fire bombed. ( About 20 houses over 2 miles of road)

It was highly likely Cley got bombed in WW2 come to that it's possible in WW1 as a zeppelin cruised up the coast bombing. Or bombarded from the sea like GY.

I can't find the book at the moment, but it does list every known bomb or attack in Norfolk.

Edited by TheQ

There are still loads of bomb craters around here which I bore my missus senseless by pointing them out!

I spent my formative years living just outside Holt and never knew that the Germans dropped any bombs around. Mind you it's not surprising given the installations around at the time.

I remember exploring what was left of Matlaske air station and also the installation at West Beckham what ever that was.  Is there anything left of it these days do you know ?

Regards, Cliff.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Cliff

There are several bomb craters around ,one by the A148 at Bodham and another at Edgefield to name two

Not a lot left at Matlaske but a few buildings and foundations at west Beckham

I noticed an indentation next to the Holt to Weybourne road the other day and wonder if it has anything to do with the 1968 aircrash with the collision between a Victor and Canberra over high Kelling. The Victor's cockpit section came to earth on this road

Morning Cliff

There are several bomb craters around ,one by the A148 at Bodham and another at Edgefield to name two

Not a lot left at Matlaske but a few buildings and foundations at west Beckham

I noticed an indentation next to the Holt to Weybourne road the other day and wonder if it has anything to do with the 1968 aircrash with the collision between a Victor and Canberra over high Kelling. The Victor's cockpit section came to earth on this road

Good evening Russ,

I can still remember that crash from all those years ago. We were living in Hempstead at the time just a couple of miles on the other side of Holt to you. It was on a Monday night as I recall and a storm

was seriously raging. We were watching "Vendetta" on the Beeb and just before the end at 10pm, the dog wanted to go out. So as I was outside in all the thunder and lightning there was suddenly an all mighty flash which

seemed to light up everywhere and which seemed to linger a little longer than lightning.

Then immediately afterwards I stood watching a lot of glowing stuff falling from the sky. Didn't really know what to make of it at the time and no immediate way of finding out. No rolling news or mobile phones in those days. In fact there wasn't a house in our road with a phone at all and the public phone in the village itself was about 10/15 minutes walk away. It wasn't until next morning with the arrival of the postwoman that we heard what had happened.

A terrible tragedy most definitely and one which would have been a whole lot worse perhaps had it happened a just a little earlier over the town itself.

Regards, Cliff.

• RMweb Gold

Evening Cliff

That's a very haunting account of what happened, must have been very scary, as it happened the storm had no baring on the crash.

I've heard from several people they weren't actually sure it wasn't an atomic bomb at first

A wing of the Canberra landed about 100yds from where I am now, so lucky no one one the ground was killed but such a tragedy for the families of the seven airmen

Russ

• 3 months later...

Russ

Just come across this thread assume you are not reusing any of the scenery from the original layout. Very impressed with your eye for detail. One thing I am not sure about is the depot area as a new depot as opposed to,a converted steam depot would it have dedicated walkways around the place

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm Hempstead near Holt, I knew a retired sea captain who lived there, however I'm much more familiar with Hempstead near Stalham, which is near my home.

I think it's time we got an up date on the layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Russ

Just come across this thread assume you are not reusing any of the scenery from the original layout. Very impressed with your eye for detail. One thing I am not sure abo

ut is the depot area as a new depot as opposed to,a converted steam depot would it have dedicated walkways around the place

Thanks, the structures from the old layout will pass over but the scenery in the main will be new.

The river will be wider with a swing bridge

Not really sure what you mean about the depot, its based on a 1950s one and I used to work at thornaby and there wasn't walkways there .

Not really done much of late been busy with work but next task is raising the road along the back of the station carriage sidings with a park behind the road and a holiday camp made from some more arkitex I've bought.

Not sure about others but find it hard to get motivated about modelling when its nice outside

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've still got the grand plan in my head and once it cools down and the nights grow longer I will get stuck into it again.

Loads to do as there is almost 200yds of track on the layout.

At least this time its all wired and running so I can have a play.

There around 130 sets of points but about 45 are involved with route setting and these are all motorized and wired

• Like 2

Russ I wasn’t sure about walkways as I know they are on all the depots I am involved with but these tend to be more modern, I model the early 90’s myself. As I said you have a good eye for detail, it is the small things that make all the difference.

Look forward to watching the layout develop

Edited by LongRail

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Module00 said:

Realy a nice and great layout ! :)

Cheers, there has been some recent progress with roadways and buildings alongside the station which on hope to post some pictures soon.

I've assumed there was some bomb damage which missed the station but destroyed adjacent buildings so I've used low relief 50s and 60s buildings in that road.

I've fond the most convincing road surface is paint mixed to a darkish grey and applied quite thickly and sanded smooth this gives slight variations in colour which real roads have

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Getting back into doing some modelling again need to get cracked on and would like to get one board scenically complete soon

Stated doing the coal yard 

Anyone know if you can still alter the title of a thread as I've finished my arkitex stuff now

DSC_0288.JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, russ p said:

Getting back into doing some modelling again need to get cracked on and would like to get one board scenically complete soon

Stated doing the coal yard 

Anyone know if you can still alter the title of a thread as I've finished my arkitex stuff now

DSC_0288.JPG

Yes, hit edit on your very first post of this thread and it should let you change it :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope to get some more done over next few days I've used a green stuff roller to make a cobblestone road into the yard on daz clay , not sure if I'm happy with it.  

Will post pictures when I've done it

• RMweb Gold

My plan is to get basic scenery done as soon as possible,  so at least I can then play with it but there is rather a lot to do . Once that's done I can then start weathering stock and building wagon kits which will bring layout to life. 

Thankfully this layout is actually all wired and operable unlike the first one, but I can't really get into running it until it's a bit more complete.  There are still a number of structures to complete  such as a parcels depot and several bridges including a swing bridge although this will not be operable 

• Like 2