Southern Railway Booster Locomotives CC1 CC2 20003

slilley

Noodle Books has just announced the publication in April 2015 on the three Southern Railway booster locomotives CC1 CC2 and 20003.

This is the first time there has been such a comprehensive look at these locomotives. We have drawn on archive material at the National Archives at Kew, the NRM, and the rail union ASLEF amongst others, to piece together the story of these unique locomotives.

Over 100 pages with illustrations and diagrams.

For full details please follow the link below

http://www.noodlebooks.co.uk/catalogue2014/index.html#10

Best wishes

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to bring everyone up to date, we have had a second set of proofs back from the publisher and reviewed those. A few glitches to be ironed out that we probably didn't get first time around.

That's all back with the publisher now and we are I believe on course for publication in late March, fingers crossed.

Best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

Book is now published, it was on sale on Saturday at the Alexandra Palace show. Now being distributed to the book trade. Between Saturday and Tuesday 182 copies were sold and advance orders by the trade are very healthy also, snap up yours whilst you can!!

Simon 

• 2 weeks later...

I must have been one of the first to get a copy, certainly one of the '182', having purchased at Ally Pally. A worthwhile book about a rather special and unique class of loco.

As a footnote I did publish an article about the 'boosters' in DEMU UPDate magazine issue #66, although obviously the book rather trumps it with more in depth info, plenty of photographs, and contains a wealth of information.

G.

• RMweb Premium

I'm liking it too, Simon.  Some photos I hadn't seen before, and electrical technical information which was presented in a manner in which this mechanical engineer could understand!

One question though - the blue that 2 was painted in - was that a shade like that of the later electric blue?  Think EM2.....?

The arguments regarding single manning were interesting, that went on for a while longer! 

Now we just need the models.....plenty livery variation possible, they should be a good seller #cough# crowdfunding #

Neil

The shade of blue for S CC2 was described in documents as ultramarine blue. I am not sure it was the same colour as used later on by BR on electric locomotives.

As for the single manning issue, you are dead right it did go on for a lot longer than the 1957 agreement, but those discussions took place well after these three locos had been withdrawn so alas outside the scope of the book.

Glad you like it.

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon.  A good read, I have enjoyed it, I have a 'thing' about electric locomotives (despite really being a steam man) as I was born and grew up very close to the Harton Colliery system in South Shields.  Probably the first locomotives I saw come to think of it!

A more recent change of direction in modelling from USA to Southern Region 3rd rail has been the long term result.  I 'need'  booster loco!

• 6 months later...

Just saw this thread, having bought the book several months ago.

Very good book, especially the technical appendix at the back, which explains very clearly how the control system worked - too many enthusiast books "turn a blind eye" to even lightly technical stuff.

Personally, I think the detail, as opposed to general thrust, of the material about single-manning might have worked better as an appendix too, but that is very much a personal thing.

Anyway, thank you to author and publisher.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this thread, having bought the book several months ago.

Very good book, especially the technical appendix at the back, which explains very clearly how the control system worked - too many enthusiast books "turn a blind eye" to even lightly technical stuff.

Personally, I think the detail, as opposed to general thrust, of the material about single-manning might have worked better as an appendix too, but that is very much a personal thing.

Anyway, thank you to author and publisher.

Kevin

Kevin

Thanks for the feedback. I can understand where you are coming from, but we took the view that the single-manning issue was bound up in their operation and so was probably best managed as part of the general narrative of the book.

My thanks to ASLEF who made the minutes of the Executive Council meetings available to me, so enabling for the first time a full account of this issue to be written.

Best wishes

Simon

Simon

I hadn't cottoned-on that it was one of the authors who had started this thread!

Many thanks for a very good addition to the bookshelf.

My own interest in electric and internal combustion motive power usually expires some time around the 1930s, but the control arrangement on the "boosters" was a bit different, so I went for this one. I remember the booster set at Strawberry Hill, and when I was involved with some testing work there, I picked-up an excellent set of c1900 electrical text books from a bookshop in a wooden-hut opposite the station one lunchtime - they are on the shelf near your book, so a circle is closed.

Kevin

PS: on the strength of your book, I will be using the "boosters" as a case-study in poor systems-design in future. Not poor locomotive design, because at that level they were good, but when looked at from a broader system perspective, (people, processes, and equipment) definitely not a success, what with sidings too short for the trains they could pull, and a rumbling argument that prevented full advantage being taken of their efficiency.

• 1 month later...

Simon

I hadn't cottoned-on that it was one of the authors who had started this thread!

Many thanks for a very good addition to the bookshelf.

My own interest in electric and internal combustion motive power usually expires some time around the 1930s, but the control arrangement on the "boosters" was a bit different, so I went for this one. I remember the booster set at Strawberry Hill, and when I was involved with some testing work there, I picked-up an excellent set of c1900 electrical text books from a bookshop in a wooden-hut opposite the station one lunchtime - they are on the shelf near your book, so a circle is closed.

Kevin

PS: on the strength of your book, I will be using the "boosters" as a case-study in poor systems-design in future. Not poor locomotive design, because at that level they were good, but when looked at from a broader system perspective, (people, processes, and equipment) definitely not a success, what with sidings too short for the trains they could pull, and a rumbling argument that prevented full advantage being taken of their efficiency.

Kevin

Thank you for the posting, apologies for my delay in responding. So glad you have found the book of interest. I knew very little about them when we started the research but that's much different now.

As a follow up I am looking at doing a similar volume on the 71s and 74s. All sorts of information is falling out of the National Archives about those two classes already.

Happy New Year to all

Simon

Archived