Back emf control

Brian Harrap

I love the use of radio control for my battery powered Bachmann shay on my garden logging line. However I find the surging/hunting type motion whilst going downgrade somewhat annoying. Does anyone know if there is a back emf (constant speed) type controller that will work on a battery powered loco? Is there perhaps another way of solving this problem? Thanks if you can help, Brian.

post-5773-0-86677300-1416311362.jpg

I love the use of radio control for my battery powered Bachmann shay on my garden logging line. However I find the surging/hunting type motion whilst going downgrade somewhat annoying. Does anyone know if there is a back emf (constant speed) type controller that will work on a battery powered loco? Is there perhaps another way of solving this problem? Thanks if you can help, Brian.

Similar performance issues of some US HO RTR diesels has been blamed on sloppy end bearings on the worms and/or motor armaturer.

\.The current R/C section 7mm system spec thread has just put up a mention of a brand new R/C chip with bemf.

3 The (possibly original) very simple bemf control circuit was in a issue of Wireless World around 1970. Something like it would be fairly easy to add to any DC voltage drive output. I suspect the necessary DC volts could be obtained by smoothing the shay receiver output, if it is PWM. rather than DC.  I think the WW article is on the web somewhere as it is somewhat historic. I suspect I still have a Xerox stashed away in the attic

Andy

Archived