News from Warley 2014

Andy Y

Hi All  A friend of mine worked at GRAFAR before they sold out to the chinese and he had a fantastic collection of reject N gauge items and being very skilled at cannibalization they were possibly even better than many of the items that reached the shops. He was allowed to rummage, I believe, by the management provided he did not take lorry loads away   Today the cost of landfill disposal or the cost of returning items all the way to China makes it viable to sell models very cheaply  or indeed, give them to firms that sell spares perhaps, to reduce the cost of disposal.  Whats left over may be quite a small quantity which could even be disposed of via local council tips although I am sure no reputable dealer would do that.    I suspect quite a lot of "Scrap" items never reach the UK and some seem to appear on Hong Kong ebay sites usually unboxed, with no guarantee.   I am sure the manufacturers do their best to keep fault rates down but sometimes things just go wrong.    Regards  adrianbs  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  All   As a follow up to my post 355 I heard a further chapter to the story last night.  Apparently my friend and his colleagues were exhibiting their layout at a show where Grafar  (pre Bachmann) had a trade stand and one of the Directors, either Peter or Gordon, were looking at the layout and pointed out to my friend that one of the locos he had "resurrected"  had not actually been released yet.!!   Slight red faced friend  I assume.     Regards adrianbs

Archived