News from Warley 2014

Andy Y

Fascinating news especially as the all parties involved in the competing Radial and Class 71 have stated they are not going to back out!

Can we draw a conclusion that the 2014 Hornby delays are now obvious as you can see where the effort has gone?

I am left wondering how much more vapourware DJM can actually announce? Someone mentioned 100+ individual items, before the weekend with nothing to see so far... What will the reaction be when Bachmann announce a Class 59 and Class 117 next year? This cannot be sustained can it? Regards Igor

Hi Igor,

I understand your point about the amount of items that are in the DJM range, and as I have stated elsewhere, this has nothing to do with commissioned items.

They are produced by me, but are owned by third parties who are stumping up considerable sums to bring them to market. My job is to do that.

I have had the contacts for the O2 a year, along with the Beattie and Road van, and these have either been modified or completed from the state they were in, and are now either close to metal cutting or indeed in production.

This is hardly vapourware, indeed any commissioned item, for example the D600, needs research, and in this case used a privately commissioned large scale model of it made by master modeller Fred Phipps. Is manufacture took a few years to get right, and completed, and as seen at Warley today is not in OO cad/cam form.

When it goes to tooling is in the remit of the commissioner not myself, so again isn't vapourware as something is at least tangible, and getting a professional cad/cam design done from a laser scan isn't cheap. If it was everyone would be doing their favourite loco and announcing it with fanfare.

My loco announcements are on a 2 year delivery and I won't be announcing any more DJM models before that date, but I will not turn away anyone with hard cash in the meantime as I have the capacity and I'd be a fool to.

Money is money right?

Keep an eye out for the vapourware J94 soon.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

.... If I ever felt like doing a PhD thesis the life and times of the 116 would be a good topic.

Chris

Chris,

Can I query your encyclopaedic knowledge on these then please? Do you know what type of unit replaced the Saltash Railmotors?

Thanks.

Commissioners of models seem to be going for classes which are almost inevitably going to be duplicated—the Hattons 14xx, King (the latter already duplicated) and the Kernow 117 etc are fairly obvious cases. I'm wondering either this is wise on their part, particularly when—as in the case of the 14xx—a "reasonable" model already exists anyway, and this is also a model which might well be chosen by Oxford, given what they have said about "existing models that need updating".

I don't think the current level of releases—particularly the huge programme of commissioned models—is sustainable in the long run. And, given past performance (how long have the O2 and D6xx been awaited), others may have produced these prototypes before the commissioned models come into being.

Given how well things like the SECR liveried C class have sold, it's pretty obvious that a big chunk of the market are collectors or people who just buy stuff they like. So rather than everyone doing the top 3 locos on the wishlist every year, they'd be better off doing random nice looking pre-group steam locos, DMUs, and diesel shunters. There's an almost limitless choice of prototype, they look nice, and we're unlikely to see duplication. 

Chris,

Can I query your encyclopaedic knowledge on these then please? Do you know what type of unit replaced the Saltash Railmotors?

Thanks.

Brian

Initially from September 1960 118 power twins but when some 122s were moved to Laira from Southall in early 1961 they were divided between solo work on some branches and working in pairs on the Saltash run.  The late Brian Haresnape photographed a pair in April 1962 crossing the Royal Albert Bridge hauling a pair of milk tanks.

Chris

Well no real interest to me although ever since I moved into O gauge every loco I wanted in 4mm seems to have materialised.

What I meant to say is if DJ Models still intend on doing some O gauge products the 116 117 118 models would be great. I think there would be a lot of interest in RTR DMU's in the biGGer scale

What I meant to say is if DJ Models still intend on doing some O gauge products the 116 117 118 models would be great. I think there would be a lot of interest in RTR DMU's in the biGGer scale

Very much so, although there is an "Easybuild" kit for said beast available already.  The problem of course is space, and I can see a 3 car 117 taking up about 5-6ft which is larger than some people's layouts!

I caught the generic 009 wagons running around the small layout on the railway modeller stand along with the GVT coaches.

They looked good.

Just on my way back from Solihull for a lunch break and white dwarf purchase. I have missed literally everything else that has been announced on here :) so thanks for putting it up guys

Just a big  :imsohappy: & thanks to everyone posting updates, it's great for us non attendees, of which I am sure there are plenty hanging on the end of keyboards awaiting this much appreciated information.

Thank you Lads & Lasses.

Craig.

Very much so, although there is an "Easybuild" kit for said beast available already.  The problem of course is space, and I can see a 3 car 117 taking up about 5-6ft which is larger than some people's layouts!

They make lovely models although I'm told there's some errors in their kit. Having said that they look good to me, I'm just thinking some RTR DMU's would attract a lot more modellers into 7mm, the 121 bubble car would be the perfect one

• RMweb Gold

It strikes me how much modellers owe to the preservation movement. As a case in point, would a Railmotor ever have appeared as an RTR product if it wasn't for no. 93? And in Lake livery too!

As with almost all prototypes, survival through the maximum number of periods/eras (and thus liveries) makes a model more likely.

The interesting thing about the Railmotor is that it by-passes so many of them.

John  

I'm very interested in those LMS non corridor coaches on Hornby's stand.  I was grumbling to myself, as I was reading about all the wonderful new announcements, that these coaches STILL weren't there.  :scratchhead: I did a double take and from the general appearance and underframe trussing, they do seem to be LMS.  I also looked to see if they had lavs - they don't appear to, meaning that a Pull Push version can be easily accomplished.  Of course, I'm still muttering because I started building myself a set from Comet kits. 

More info on these please.  Livery's planned, ie Period 2 or Period 3.  Release dates.

John

• RMweb Premium

Yes thanks to everyone for posting, especially Andy, obviously, for those of us who can't attend. Some long awaited items there. Best news for me got to be a 116! Will await price with interest.

What strikes me , as well, is the emergence of ranges offered by main model shops with DJ Models as the intermediate with Chinese manufacturing. Just hope Daves not taking on more than he can handle. But he clearly is opening up the market to the advantage of us consumers. I wonder just how much the emergence of these ranges is due to Hornbys failure to keep goods coming through model shops last year. Obviously these shops need something to sell. Looks like they've taken direct action. I also note Hornbys new items available to order direct, and the shenanigans over their Exeter model, I think clearly indicating their preference for going direct too - at full price! That's one of the reasons I'm wishing Kernow, Hattons and DJM all the best . I think they are the future! Only wish we had a Scottish model shop that could get into commissions......

So, did Hornby have any models of "Exeter" for sale, or even just on display ?

All smart manufacturers of collectable models make something rare just to jolly up sales on a just in case basis ..The Bachman SE&CR C is a case in point .If they dont they are stupid .Of course the best way is to make it a Collectors club model which is perfectly acceptable but still annoying to the ones who cant afford it at the time.iIs just another jolly up .The fact that Exeter has been made in smaller numbers  is to Hornby a bonus for later releases .Its only a relivery anyway isnt it ?. So if we follow the rampant advice on  other threads we can assume that its a get yer paint and decals  out .

People are still fighting over some unusual  Dinky toys liveries.

Odd, a couple of the Hornby CAD images SEEM to be in reverse perspective, I hope they don't manufacture them like that.

Otherwise, it is a shame about the duplications - but may the BEST model "win".

Any news whether that is a Class 74 only, or a Class 71 as well ?

( AND, remind me, when did the GWR steam railcar tour the Southern Region in the 1960s ?)

I think that's just an optical illusion - what they appear to have done is forgotten to turn on 'perspective' in their CAD package for the basic rendered images (i.e. the multicoloured images). This is normally a selectable function. So your brain tells your eyes to expect to see the effects of perspective but when it doesn't see it your brain thinks it has been reversed!

On the 'photo realistic' CAD images of the King, the Class 71, the Adams and the wagons they seem to have switched this feature on correctly!

Archived