Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

Hurricane ordered.

I may even get round to building a model of Bickershaw Colliery.

Can we now have Rodney, Spitfire, Gwyneth, Respite, Warrior, and No 8, to keep it company?

Edited by bigd
  • Like 1

Ooohhhrrrrr Backworth!!

I'd rather 6 or 9, or even either of the 48's (at the end there was two 48's at Backworth!!) but beggars can't be choosers.  As the H people did 49 I suppose that's out.

The original WD number was visible under the paint on the back of the bunker on one, I think it was 6 but might have been 9.

Happpyyyyy!!!!

It was 6 that had its WD number showing through- I think this one came via the Opencast Executive.  Shame the Backworth loco is pristine black- they didn't get really strong on cleaning until the unlined blue period.

BTW this one and the Cromford one really could do with wooden cab shutters (Backworth on one side only).

Les

PS- any chance of a couple of these (71515 and No.4) in N please?

PPS - there were also two locos numbered 49 at Backworth at the same time (but not at the same time as the two numbered 48).

Edited by Les1952

A couple of details-

post-13358-0-53061000-1416373281_thumb.jpg

Backworth's wooden shutters- all locos ran with these.

post-13358-0-16049900-1416373283_thumb.jpg

Backworth's cleanliness.....

post-13358-0-78668800-1416373472_thumb.jpg

Note 71515 only had two lamp irons on the bunker!

post-13358-0-98046400-1416373704_thumb.jpg

No.6 with WD/OE number showing through and showing Backworth didn't have bunker lamp irons at all, just a holder for an electric light-  6, 9, 48 and 49 were all the same in this respect, as were Stephensons 44 and 16- i.e. 6 out of 6 of the locos I photographed........

All the very best

Les

• Like 3

It seems odd that colliery locos are so popular as any layout would be quite bleak.  What about power stations  -  Were any Austerities used by the CEGB at old ( 1930s to 1970s ) town power stations ?   ( or the equivalent Gas plants ) 

But I wish everyone good luck (and profits to DJM) with the project

It seems odd that colliery locos are so popular as any layout would be quite bleak.  What about power stations  -  Were any Austerities used by the CEGB at old ( 1930s to 1970s ) town power stations ?   ( or the equivalent Gas plants ) 

But I wish everyone good luck (and profits to DJM) with the project

There's a certain atmosphere about any industrial layout, but I wouldn't describe all collieries as bleak. Have a look at New Haden Colliery  http://www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk/layouts5.php

Hi Dave

Will they do the Mountain Ash one without the weathering?, as i have on order one of the other ones.

This i was going to repaint it too the Ash Mountain loco.

So i hope they do it with no weathering as i do not like factory weathering on my loco,as i would like too do it myself .

Well done in doing these loco's :danced:

Darren

Hi Darren,

Unweathered hasn't been specified by Hattons on this model I'm afraid, sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, looking at the artwork for 71515. It should have red wheels that macth the loco, not black like the artwork on hattons website.

Hi mate,

Hattons did all the livery research on these, so i'll pass your comments to them, to amend as necessary. good spot and thanks.  :paint:

cheers

Dave  :locomotive:

Just to follow up the comment about cab shutters at Backworth- I've found a pic in a history (black and white) of No.4 with NATIONAL COAL BOARD on the side and a kylpoor chimney- and cab shutters.

ID for this loco is Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn 7166 of 1944, new as WD 71512.  Came to Backworth as 71512 in June 1961 from Newbattle Disposal Point. Transferred to Seaton Deleval in 9/62 and back to Backworth in 7/63.  Renumbered No.4 before 9/1964- I don't have the date to hand.  Transferred to Netherton Colliery 9/1967 following a month in Ashington works.  Scrapped Sept 1969.   I seem to remember a photo of it at Netherton with an ordinary chimney- did it regain this at Ashington works/

The other question is- did this loco also have a prominent mechanical stoker under the bunker?  The undated photo is front-end and is clear enough to show only two lamp-irons on the front buffer beam- the middle one is missing.

Hope this lot helps.   BTW the pic I put up of 71515 (post #32) shows red wheel bosses.....

Les

I notice the BR one also has a diagonal hand-hold on the tanks, not mentioned in the detail variations. 

The ones with the black step on a coloured tank are going to be fun to paint/print, unless is is a separate part.

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

On my laptop these look like O gauge models - hint hint..... :yes:

Yes, its the right size! When can I place my order?

That picture shows the loco to be about 2 inches long. That's N gauge sized. Hint hint  :biggrin_mini2: 

I've found another picture of the Backworth one, this time just before transfer away.  By this time (spring 1967) it had had its original chimney restored.  The IRS book on the class will give chapter and verse on its conversion, but my copy has gone into hiding.

It did, however retain its gas valve smokebox door (which wasn't really clear in the other photo).

Despite trying to thin out my showcase I've ordered a 71515 I don't really need just to clutter it up further........

All the very best

Les

BTW my pic of 71515  seems to show the tankside steps as red rather than black.....

Edited by Les1952

Answering a few of my own questions about Backworth No.4 I've found the relevant info spread across four different books...

I've sent Dave a more detailed PM with scans of a couple of copyright pics I can't post here.....

Backworth No.4 was converted to Gas Producer and Mechanical Stoker at Seaton Deleval by mid 1963 and ran in this condition until Backworth shed converted it back in mid 1967 retaining the air hole in the smokebox door.   It was regarded as the strongest austerity Backworth had, having been well set up by the works and well maintained at the shed.  They also had No.6 which had been converted at Ashington and wasn't as reliable.  No.6 was converted back in 1966.

The stoker projected below the frames at the back and there was a vertical plate to protect it from the swinging 3-link coupling.   This would all be difficult to produce for a ready-to-run loco, but might make a 3D printing or lost wax opportunity for someone.  There is only one stoker still in existence, apparently.  This is at Statfold Barn and not attached to a loco.

On lamp irons, Backworth removed lamp irons at some time between 1971 and 1973.  No.4 would still have had a complete set when leaving Backworth in August 1967.

Hope this lot is of use.

Les

I'm glad to see more industrial models coming onto the OO scene. I've read posts about some of the prototype engines from this Hattons exclusive and was wondering which of these ten are currently preserved in one form or another. So far from what others have posted and what I found searching online, No.7 "Robert" NCB Bold Colliery/No.7 NCB Littleton Colliery, No.71515 Mech Navvies Ltd, No.98 "Royal Engineer" War Department and No.15 Wemyss Private Railway are currently at preserved railways. Are any of the other five preserved? Thanks.

Cheers,